Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I hate that

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Just gave the lab a bath (which is a chore in itself) and had to cut his toenails. UUGHHH I hate doing that. I'm always afraid I'm gonna cut too deep and hit the quick. But after I'm done I look at them and say "I should have taken more off."

He's already mad at me for the trip to the vet today. Now after a bath, toenail cutting, and the old medication down the middle of the back treatment, He's just sitting there looking at me like "you prick, why did you to that to me!?"

Last edited:

Huckleberry Finn

Cutting our lab's toenails was always a wrestling match. She didn't love it. I remember as a general rule dad cut them pretty shorter, drawing blood once or twice; but then again I guess that limits how often they get cut.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I used to wrap my lab up in a blanket like a baby nice and tight like a papoose with the one leg needing trimmed hanging out.... they're wrapped too tight to do a damn thing about it..... makes it a lot easier lol.....

Huckleberry Finn

I used to wrap my lab up in a blanket like a baby nice and tight like a papoose with the one leg needing trimmed hanging out.... they're wrapped too tight to do a damn thing about it..... makes it a lot easier lol.....

Awwwww lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Brutus the boxer got a bath earlier this week. I think Hank is getting one tomorrow. His will be a messy one for sure. He gets his outside with a hose and it is about that time. Ol' boy is way overdue, but given the fact he is an outside dog, I don't want to wash the oils and such off his skin in the winter.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I gave up doing my dogs nails a few years ago. She is the most well mannered dog until you mess with her feet. As she has gotten older (13) she goes to the vet to get them done now. With arthritis making it painful to mover her legs and feet she gets snippy so she gets the ol muzzle now as well.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Little tip I've found with dogs nails. Use a dremel with a sanding drum on it. It sands them down super quick and you can get them short without cutting the quick. Choke up on the dremel and hold it like a knife when your peeling a potato. Sand it in swipes so they don't get hot.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
We have a clipper that has a stop on it that only allows the nail to go so far into the clipper. It keeps you from cutting into the quick.