Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Gordos off season deer hunting thread

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Jeez. I could have summed that up in one sentence and went to bed 15 minutes earlier.

'run more cameras at different properties'

hahaha. Pretty much what I am doing next year. We do have the ability to glass from a distance too though. Next year will be a year I try to focus on hunting ONLY when all the stars align. Time to hunt smarter for me. Sure, there is a certain need to put in seat time. However, I am thinking the days I choose to put in seat time I can pick more wisely. Family isn't getting any smaller or less busy. I am going to be limited on days available anyway.

Gordo

Athens County
As usual pretty much did no turkey hunting.

I did manage to get 5 mineral sites out over the past couple weeks on 4 different properties.

I was dissappiinted at first at the amount of pictures ive been getting over the minerals.

Keep in mind ive never ran cams intensely this time of year. Ive always started my inventory cams late july/august and run corn that the deer would just hammer.

Well it turns out they definitely dont bash corn this time of year like they do in a couple months either.

I put cams out with corn and got pretty much the same respnse as i did with the minerals. The corn did slightly better.

Most does still look like they are about to pop on these properties and the bucks are just starting to grow.

Ive moved a couple stands, done some trail maintenance, mowing, etc.,but still have plenty of work to do before season rolls around.

As always im enjoying every bit of it. I think this jump start will benefit me come season. If not its still some quality time spent afield.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sounds like you've been busy. I'll be getting things rolling inside the next few weeks. Looking forward to your updates. Goodluck!