Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2012 season predictions

TripleA88

*Supporting Member*
Hows everyone thinking this season will go down? Usually I see the big flocks split late march. This past weekend, saturday and sunday, ive seen a tom strutting with 5 hens in the same spot ive filled my tag on opener in 2010 and 2011. This early mild weather makes me wonder if the majority of hens will get bred by season. Could be a good thing though, perhaps there will be a bunch of lonely toms, and less battling with competitive hens. Thoughts?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hows everyone thinking this season will go down? Usually I see the big flocks split late march. This past weekend, saturday and sunday, ive seen a tom strutting with 5 hens in the same spot ive filled my tag on opener in 2010 and 2011. This early mild weather makes me wonder if the majority of hens will get bred by season. Could be a good thing though, perhaps there will be a bunch of lonely toms, and less battling with competitive hens. Thoughts?

That's sort of what I've been thinking, too. I don't have many turkey seasons under my belt, but I think if the weather stays the way it is it should only help us out come April. Me thinks the Toms will be less apt to being pulled away by boss hens. But who knows... With my luck, it'll be 65 degrees up until the second week of April, then we'll get a blizzard.

Oh and predictions.... I'm predicting my first two-longbeard turkey season this year. :)

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
That's sort of what I've been thinking, too. I don't have many turkey seasons under my belt, but I think if the weather stays the way it is it should only help us out come April. Me thinks the Toms will be less apt to being pulled away by boss hens. But who knows... With my luck, it'll be 65 degrees up until the second week of April, then we'll get a blizzard.

Oh and predictions.... I'm predicting my first two-longbeard turkey season this year. :)

I am a rookie, but this aligns with my thoughts as well. I also bought a new call due to an article I read recently. Less hen, more gobble is the idea...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The latest issue of North American Hunter pointed me this way...

http://www.downndirtyoutdoors.com/haint.aspx

My simple mind says if there are hardly any hens left to be bred, then pissing off the gobblers by invading their turf might work. They hear another gobbler giving it hell looking for a hen and they might be inclined to come check it out. Kinda like grunting during the late rut or second rut. Maybe not the best approach, but find the right bird in the right mood and who knows. I thought it was a great article and I love the idea of trying something new.

Huckleberry Finn

The latest issue of North American Hunter pointed me this way...

http://www.downndirtyoutdoors.com/haint.aspx

My simple mind says if there are hardly any hens left to be bred, then pissing off the gobblers by invading their turf might work. They hear another gobbler giving it hell looking for a hen and they might be inclined to come check it out. Kinda like grunting during the late rut or second rut. Maybe not the best approach, but find the right bird in the right mood and who knows. I thought it was a great article and I love the idea of trying something new.

Are you sure that it's not because it's only one letter away from your favorite word? :smiley_depressive:

Just be extra cautious that there's no one else around. I know you hunt private land (and I'd strongly discourage it on public land as a rule of thumb). Sounding like a gobbler, in camo sitting behind decoys that look like gobblers can be a dangerous proposition!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
i predict: I am seriously considering trying it this year. If I don't at least try it, I am starting to read up and learn more right now anyway. If it doesn't happen this year, I would predict it is going to happen in the near future.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia

It better start April 28th at Sandridge Outfitters. You will be our first ever turkey client! Well, you will be if we hunt. I've had people down to hunt and all we did was drink beer all weekend!!! :smiley_clap:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It better start April 28th at Sandridge Outfitters. You will be our first ever turkey client! Well, you will be if we hunt. I've had people down to hunt and all we did was drink beer all weekend!!! :smiley_clap:

And you know this.... maaaaannnnnnnn.

See, that's the beauty of turkey season... You only have to be able to function until about noon... And even then, there's usually no better nap than one up against a tree stump in the spring, listening to the calls of wood thrushes and chickadees. We may drink some beers, but by God we're gonna whack some dang turks too!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
i predict: I am seriously considering trying it this year. If I don't at least try it, I am starting to read up and learn more right now anyway. If it doesn't happen this year, I would predict it is going to happen in the near future.

Same here Phil, my cousin has been wanting me to go the last two years, may just have to break down and give it a try!

Buckmaster

Portage
I predict I'll be at camp every weekend, stay up too late Friday night around the campfire, consuming TOO many Natty Lights, then roll over come the alarm time on Saturday AM. Arise by 9am, eat breakfast, work on food plots until beer thirty. I don't take my bird hunting too serious.... but when I do; I generally bring one back to camp.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I predict I'll be at camp every weekend, stay up too late Friday night around the campfire, consuming TOO many Natty Lights, then roll over come the alarm time on Saturday AM. Arise by 9am, eat breakfast, work on food plots until beer thirty. I don't take my bird hunting too serious.... but when I do; I generally bring one back to camp.

I wanna be like you when I grow up...

Schu72

Streetsboro
I plan to take the boys out and try to get them on a bird or two. Me personally...I'm just not feeling the turkey thing like I used to. I got walked in on so many times last year, it seems pointless to get up early and get in there just to have some idiot stalk up on me.

Huckleberry Finn

I plan to take the boys out and try to get them on a bird or two. Me personally...I'm just not feeling the turkey thing like I used to. I got walked in on so many times last year, it seems pointless to get up early and get in there just to have some idiot stalk up on me.

#1 reason why I'm ok with not turkey hunting this year (other than eating the last 3 tags lol?)...not getting up at fuggin 4 in the morning. Yea, so there might be a hundred reasons why I wish I was, but I do't miss that!