Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wild Thing

mrex

*Supporting member*
Was watching some turkeys in the yard this morning…

One of the gobblers peeled off a small group of hens from the rest of the flock and eventually chased off all but one…

I have said for years that a lot of breeding takes place long before the season opens. A friend of mine filmed the ritual in mid February here in SE Ohio a few years ago.

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Nice too be able too see all that while drinking coffee in the comfort of you front porch thanks for sharing Mike...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Very cool and great pictures! "and that's how I found, you don't mess around, with the funky cold medina!"

Never seen that many turkeys in one group in the wild in my entire life, let alone in my yard. Biggest flock I have seen around here had a dozen.

mrex

*Supporting member*
Very cool and great pictures! "and that's how I found, you don't mess around, with the funky cold medina!"

Never seen that many turkeys in one group in the wild in my entire life, let alone in my yard. Biggest flock I have seen around here had a dozen.

We see 40-50 in the yard most days throughout the winter. By the time the season rolls around and the winter flocks have dispersed there will only be a handful if any hanging around. The most I have seen at one time in my yard was 77 and that was about 15 years ago. A friend of mine who owns property near Loudonville in Ashland Co has a flock of over 300 birds roosting on a hillside above his barn right now. Winter flocks of over 100 are not uncommon in SE Ohio.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Great pics Mike... I need to get back into turkey hunting this year. Last time I went was 5 years ago. I went out on a hunt a few days before my daughter was born, and of course I was in an area with no cell service. When I got home my wife was very happy with me. :smiley_blackeye:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Insert just about any Nickleback song HERE. lmao

Tom reminds me of Jackalope for some reason. What a hound dog!

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Voyeurism at its finest. Great stuff Mike. I have only witnessed a tom getting busy once.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk