Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Spending some money on a shotgun. thoughts?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Okay. Still doing my homework. Waaaaaay too many negative reviews on the Mossberg 935. They are out. Narrows me to Beretta, Browning, Benelli. Nobody has mentioned the Winchesters? Or did I miss it? That 3901 is looking better all the time.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
A buddy has a Win SX2 which is very similar to a Browning Gold. He loves it but he says it needs to be kept clean or there are feeding issues. And he uses the gun a lot, he's an avid waterfowler.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
A buddy has a Win SX2 which is very similar to a Browning Gold. He loves it but he says it needs to be kept clean or there are feeding issues. And he uses the gun a lot, he's an avid waterfowler.

Yep, the winchester super x models are nearly identical to a browning gold. The main thing that causes cycling issues in these guns is the recoil spring retention tube, which is located in the stock. It's a bit of a pain to clean it properly, so most guys just completely neglect to clean it. Over time, this retention tube gets gunked up, and the plastic piece on the end of the recoil spring (which connects to the bolt assembly) has a harder time sliding through the tube... This results in more resistance, making the gun cycle slower. There are two options to prevent this... 1) but a $90 aftermarket stainless recoil tube, or 2) learn how to clean it properly. I've still got the factory recoil spring tube in my browning gold, and I don't have any issues with it. I only clean it about once every season.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Time to put this on the back burner for a few weeks. Not going to have a turkey gun by turkey season. Decision has been made to use my o/u for this season. I need to chill out for a while and see where money falls in the next couple months. Until money comes in from the second shot gun I have for sale, I am not pulling money out of my account to make this "want" happen. Until i know for certain where I am going to be on taxes, I am hesitating to even spend money on a pack of gum. I will keep you all posted and I appreciate the advice. It will happen sooner or later, but probably not before turkey season.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Hicks....I have a Mossburg 20 Ga, 3" Shells, Xtra Full Choke, Fiber Optic Sights and all Camo....You are More than Welcome to use it for Turkey Season. I use my 11-87....... I work in Columbus so we should be able to work something out. PM me and we can get it together. This way your good for taxes and can take your time and get the gun you want without a rush.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hicks....I have a Mossburg 20 Ga, 3" Shells, Xtra Full Choke, Fiber Optic Sights and all Camo....You are More than Welcome to use it for Turkey Season. I use my 11-87....... I work in Columbus so we should be able to work something out. PM me and we can get it together. This way your good for taxes and can take your time and get the gun you want without a rush.

Very kind offer on your part xbowguy! I have access to borrowing some local guns as well if I decide my o/u isn't what I want to use. Just updating my thoughts on where I am with the semi-auto shotgun purchase. It will still happen, but just getting put off a bit longer. Priorities are not much fun, but it is part of life we all must accept.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Hicks, you're welcome to it. It definately is not a show piece, but works good. I bought it for someone to use and they are not around anymore. Just a Safe Ornament around here.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sounds like a pretty decent deal. I am not a member there and unable to check it out though. thanks for tempting me Longdraw. I really need to wait to find out how bad it is from my accountant though before I spend a nickle.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Accountant had terrible news. I have two options now.

1) Use the Mossberg 500 turkey gun Tree Monkey loaned me.
2) Use the O/U I have. I spent $10 on a sock for it.

IMG00591-20120417-1417 OU with sock.jpg

I need to get over to my property where I can pattern both guns and make a decision. Hope to be able to accomplish this at some point this week. Either way, both guns are ready!

In regards to the semi-auto shotgun? Yet another goal to put on the back burner. I will own one eventually, just not in the next couple months. Maybe by fall?

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Accountant had terrible news. I have two options now.

1) Use the Mossberg 500 turkey gun Tree Monkey loaned me.
2) Use the O/U I have. I spent $10 on a sock for it.

View attachment 6579

I need to get over to my property where I can pattern both guns and make a decision. Hope to be able to accomplish this at some point this week. Either way, both guns are ready!

In regards to the semi-auto shotgun? Yet another goal to put on the back burner. I will own one eventually, just not in the next couple months. Maybe by fall?

Gun looks good Hicks.....Don't think the dog is real excited about it thoughrotflmao

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
No Sir xbowguy. Now if the UPS man had shown up while I was snapping the picture you would have seen him salivating and going bonkers!

Huck- I hope you were teasing. If not, look closely to my last picture. Same gun. I just put a sock on it.

Attachments

• turkey ready April 2012.jpg
    turkey ready April 2012.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 123

Huckleberry Finn

Phil, I was being serious. I've never seen someone put a sock to take an O/U hunting...but I have no doubts that it will kill a turkey

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My bad Huck. I misread your post. I thought it said you had never seen an o/u in camo before. I missed "in camo sock before".

I am sure it will do the job as well. I just need to decide which one I am using. I sort of want to use it as I have not killed anything with that o/u yet. Honestly haven't even fired it yet. Then again, TM loaned me the ideal turkey killing gun. haha