Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Spending some money on a shotgun. thoughts?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Phil if you already have a wing master why not get a new barrel with choke tubes?

Honestly? Because the thought never crossed my mind. lol I guess with the long barrel on that gun I never thought of it as an option for what I was going to do with it.

You suppose the stock could be swapped for synthetic? They sure had beautiful wood work back then. I would like to keep the wood nice. The new wood grades are just plain junk therefore I would like to preserve the quality of yesteryear.

Would the reduced selection of shells hurt me much? Many of these modern guns all take the longer shells. I am not sure if selection availability would hurt me or not.

You have me thinking Sam. Might be a pretty good option.

Huckleberry Finn

SMH bro, just send me your guns...

Stocks on 870's are easy to switch. You can get a replacement stock from $75-125 and up. A new barrel will run you just under $200. A good choke tube isn't more than $50. Throw a red dot on...welll you the point.

As for the size of shells, doesn't Gern kill all those coyotes with 3" 00 Buck? If he can...so can you. IMO there's not an animal in Ohio that you can't kill with a 3" shell. The goose hunters might disagree but if you buying strictly a gas gun, it'd be a semi.

I don't know what you're looking for, but I've never thought too much of changing the stocks / barrels on a gun. Like Sam says, it's feasible. But just buy another gun. Wingmasters are beautiful pieces. Instead of putting a couple hundred bucks into the one that you have, plus then having the spare parts around, buy something else. If you really want to stick with that, you might as well go find a beater 870 express and deck it out, or buy a zombie gun from Beener...

hickslawns,
I picked up my MP-153 for $350, 6 years ago, at Floyd Snider's gun shop...just down the road from you. Looks like they've gone up about $100, but still worth it. Lots of features for the money.

If I was you, I'd go shoot your buddy's gun and consider that one too...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
The problem for the Baikal/Remington153 is the extras...barrels, chokes, etc. Just not near as much available. I believe they were a good bargain a few years ago... As a horse trader I would hate the hit I would take to re-sell if you change your mind down the road.

If you buy a used big brand you should be able to sell it down the road for what you have in it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Huck- SMH? Not sure what that stands for. In regards to the Wingmaster, I am not sure it accepts 3" shells. Need to check it to see. Gun is older than you bubba. Close to my age. A beater 870 Express? Not sure here either. My 870 Express is about the clunkiest and least smooth gun I have ever owned. I just don't know I want another one. If I was going this route, then I would agree with some of the guys and just buy another barrel for it. I am not sure I really want to go the route of another pump.

Huckleberry Finn

Huck- SMH? Not sure what that stands for. In regards to the Wingmaster, I am not sure it accepts 3" shells. Need to check it to see. Gun is older than you bubba. Close to my age. A beater 870 Express? Not sure here either. My 870 Express is about the clunkiest and least smooth gun I have ever owned. I just don't know I want another one. If I was going this route, then I would agree with some of the guys and just buy another barrel for it. I am not sure I really want to go the route of another pump.

Shakin my head bro! Eubonics.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

That's blasphemy, Phil...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That's blasphemy, Phil...

I know. I feel guilty about saying it, but I am not going to sugar coat it. I love my Wingmaster. The newer Remington pumps leave something to be desired in wood department and smooth operation departments. I feel let down. I have an older 243 which is a pump gun. It is smooth as well. Beautiful wood grain, beautiful engraving on it. Love it. Cloverleaf patterns as well which many do not feel you will get out of a pump gun. Must have gotten a good one. It is a dream.

I have been reading up on the Mossburg 930/935's. They are starting to tempt me. I think the more I read and discuss this (Thanks Beener and Bowhunter57 for your verbal input) I am beginning to think I am ready for a semi auto. Not ready to drop a grand or more, but ready to make a purchase. Knowing my buddy has sent his 1187 back once and is getting ready to send it back again has me hesitating. I have always been a Remington guy, but i am leaning toward the 935 turkey special with pistol grip in camo right now. I can always grab the Wingmaster if I want to try waterfowling.

The Stoeger 3500 looked nice but much like the H&R or Russian Baikal, I am afraid of the resell hit if it is not what I am looking for. I would like to do it once and do it right, but sometimes you just don't know until you get out in the field and use them. I guess I want premium gas, but want to pay for regular unleaded. Then I will probably bitch about the spark knocking after I shut off the engine. lmao

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I just don't like Mossbergs at all. To me, they feel just plain awful... square, "boxy", and plain... plus that safety on top of the receiver is gay.

I know I said check out the Stoeger semis... But for me personally, I wouldn't even buy a semiauto unless I was buying a high end gun. Browning, Benelli, Beretta... one of those. You definitely get what you pay for. I've had my Browning Gold for ten years now, and it's been through hell and back without ever needing replacement parts or service. Hell, most years I only even clean the thing once, at the end of duck season. I can't even county how many times it's been under water, or used as an oar for the canoe, or used to break ice in a shooting hole.

Have you looked on gunbroker.com at some used semiautos or are you looking for something new?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Leave it to Hicks to be worried about the wood!!! :smiley_crocodile:

Jesse- I like to take care of my wood to keep it pretty. lmao

Huck- re-read your post. Not knocking you but just a head's up in the event you are making a shell purchase for coyotes. 0000 bubba. 4-ot is what he is using. I know because I called him when I was in the aisle buying mine to see what he recommended. ahhaa

JBrown- thanks. This is not a rush purchase. I will check them out as well. You guys think one of the nicer autos would be available in the $600-700 range? Used? New? I am still curious about feedback from anyone that might own a 935 Mossburg as well. I have owned a 500 pump in the past and it was okay. Never failed me anyway. Safety on top I can deal with. Square/boxy/plain? I own a Honda Element and think they look cool. I can deal with it on a gun. lmao

Buckmaster

Portage
I just don't like Mossbergs at all. To me, they feel just plain awful... square, "boxy", and plain... plus that safety on top of the receiver is gay.

I like the top of action safety on the Mossberg. I don't need to fumble around looking for the trigger safety and can still keep my eyes on the incoming game until the moment of truth.
I have both 500 and 835 and haven't had any problems with them. They are killing guns and I'm not worried about scratches. The 3 1/2" turkey loads do kick a bit but if you've shot a 30.06 or 348 its not much worse.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My buddy dropped off a Mossberg 9200 last night. Said $325 owns it. It was "okay." Didn't really want a black one with a 28" barrel but was thankful he brought it over. Did some review checks on it. As cheap as it sounded, the reviews were horrible. I guess I am still thinking.

Anyone have experience with the Mossberg 930/935's?

I am still considering them or the 3901's. If not, I guess I will be saving some more pennies before I purchase a semi auto. One thing I have realized through all of this thread is the fact I am ready for a semi auto. I don't think I want to modify the pump to do what I am looking for.

Huckleberry Finn

Phil I don't know anything about that gun, by my 870 has a 28" barrel. If I could do it all over again, I'd get a shorter one with it...by the time you screw an extended choke into it, I feel like a pilgrim carrying a blunderbuss. Hard to maneuver in a blind and a lot to swing when it's on your lap. Then again I know that you're tall too so its not a huge deal, just a matter of preference. Accurate as hell, but I'm not sure the extra 2 or 4 inches does a ton of good when you put a choke tube in it (educated and more experienced minds may disagree).