Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Spending some money on a shotgun. thoughts?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I sold a gun. Have another sold pending payment. I will be at $450 to spend on one gun to replace the two. This is where the experts on TOO come into play. I really don't "need" anything, but I have justified one by unloading two. I have my 12G remington Express Mag for a slug gun. I have a nice o/u for upland birds/trap shooting. I have been feeling the need for a front gun for coyotes. I do NOT own a semiautomatic shotgun. My thoughts in the purchase are to buy one which will serve my needs should I ever decide to pursue turkeys or waterfowl as well as being a front gun for coyotes. I am considering a simple Mossburg in camo in pump. I already have another pump gun which could be used for waterfowl if desired but has a fixed choke.

Should I go for a semiauto?

If I go Mossberg pump, do I just get the combo and have a second slug gun? I pretty well use the muzzle loader now anyway for deer.

Am I missing something?

I don't foresee this being used a ton. I know it is going to be used when I get it. Synthetic is the way I am going this time. I wouldn't care at all if I have it laying in the weeds/mud/snow. I am planning on a shorter barreled gun. Hopefully I have given enough info to get some ideas floating around. Is $450 a realistic price range for a semiauto?

Huckleberry Finn

Read a good review the other day while sitting on the crapper about the Stoeger 3500.

Other than that, I'd reckon that picked up a used 11-87 would make for a solid turkey and coyote gun.

Just get something nice, devalue it, and sell it to me in a few years.

hickslawns,
If you don't want to go the Mossberg route, how about an H & R Excell Auto Turkey? Excellent reviews and great price tag!

Here's the website:
http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/excell.asp

Here's the pricing:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...mi-Automatic22"+BarrelFiber+Optic+SightsAdvan

As you know, I own a 12 gauge Mossberg 500 Turkey Special with a 3" chamber. I purchased it about 5 years ago, at MC Sporting Goods, for $294...tax included. This shotgun has only gone up about $25, since then and I've never had any problems with it.

Short barrels and full camo are the way to go, for coyotes. Pump or semi-auto is a personal choice, but the semi-auto would get the nod from me for my next choice...should I sell this one. :smiley_blink: ...I've considered selling this one, to get a semi-auto.

If you purchase another brand, like Remington, Benelli, Beretta, Stoeger, Browning, etc. you're gonna pay over $600 for a semi-auto...for a new one. :smiley_depressive: The above mentioned brands will get the job done for less money.

Good luck with your choices!
Bowhunter57

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Read a good review the other day while sitting on the crapper about the Stoeger 3500.

Other than that, I'd reckon that picked up a used 11-87 would make for a solid turkey and coyote gun.

Just get something nice, devalue it, and sell it to me in a few years.

My dad has this gun, only in 3", and it's a pretty decent semi for the money. Stoeger is a company of Benelli, so many parts are either the same or very similar. I would give it a good look if I were you... It'll be pretty close to your price range.

FredT

SE Ohio
If you got the Rem Express Mag, it will do it all. Get camo synthetic stocks for it and a different barrel to make it do what you want for less than 450 bucks.

It sounds like you just want to buy another gun, which is noble of you.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
If you got the Rem Express Mag, it will do it all. Get camo synthetic stocks for it and a different barrel to make it do what you want for less than 450 bucks.

It sounds like you just want to buy another gun, which is noble of you.

:smiley_clap:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I would use your current stable and add what accessories you need for the other endevours.

Save the cash and add to it to buy something really nice. ;)

antiqucycle

East Ohio
put the $450 in the cookie jar. Sooner or later you will stumble into an unbelievable deal and have the cash at the ready. Maybe the first garage sale you hit this spring.

Diablo54

Outside
What would fluteman do?

Save the money and buy your wife some jewelry. Jeesh.. Dang kids....

Jk!! Buy a 410 for your kids!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Fred- You might be right. So? I am glad to make you proud. haha

Honestly, the Express Mag I have does okay. The action is not what I would call "smooth" or overly impressive. Nothing like the older Remingtons such as the Wingmasters. Not real sure I am interested in messing with it at all in regards to upgrades or mods. I like just grabbing it and going whenever I am taking a walk during gun season or if I am doing a soft push for a friend during gun season.

I have not hunted turkey or waterfowl. I have been thinking of working Hank a bit for waterfowl. That dog just loves the water. He is so eager to please and has such a strong drive, i feel like he is not being used to his full potential by using him as a deer recovery dog only. Might be tough to cross train him in various tasks, but I feel he could do it and do it well. He is just an impressive dog. For this reason, i am wondering if I should consider a semi-auto for water fowl. Hunters have used pumps for years with success.

I will check into the Stoeger. Thanks to Huck and Jim for the suggestion.

Diablo- Screw the kids. They can buy their own. It is all about ME ME ME! Kidding. When we get to this point, I will have an excuse to start another thread and buy another gun. lol

With a $450 price range you'll be getting a low end SA. I'd rather have a higher end pump gun for similar $$. JMO

Okay. I am listening. I am not going to object to throwing in a little more money and buying the right gun the first time. No sense in limiting myself. Afterall, this is an effort to reduce guns and own only what I use to hunt and what i plan on keeping for a long time. I don't mind spending it right the first time. If I am going to add enough to hit the $600-700 range it would have to be for a semi-auto. If I am going pump, then I honestly think a Mossburg combo or similar would be plenty. Maybe I am wrong. I just know the 4-6yr old Remington I own is not really the smoothest I own. I would venture to say I could be just as quick with a bolt action.

With the new price range do you have any new or better suggestions?

epe

Lancaster
I would go with a beneli nova pump. If you are going to waterfowl and coyote hunt, it will probably get used and abused. A semiauto sometimes doesn't like mud sand and ice. The extrema 2 is designed to take that abuse, but you are not buying one for $450... I went from a nova pump to a semiauto. There are days I wish I had the beneli still..

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just checked out the Stoeger 3500 and H&R suggested. Both look very nice. Thank you.

Sam- Some very nice pumps. I do own a Wingmaster which is from the 70's. I guess I could pull it out and actually use it. Just a fixed choke though and limits me a bit. That Browning was a pretty looking gun! Being waterfowl is an option down the road, I am not sure I want to drop that much on another pump. Might be better off with a cheaper semi auto for now for turkey/coyote and risking the dreaded task of being "forced" to purchase a nicer one later. hehe

Am I just thinking out loud with suggestions from the crowd here? lmao

Don't get me wrong, I am seriously trying to figure out what would work best. I appreciate all the input.

Longdraw

Central,Ohio
Seen a Berretta semi auto in Dicks sporting goods tonight on sale for $550 with black synthetic stock,but it was a 3in. chamber and not 3.5

hickslawns said:
With the new price range do you have any new or better suggestions?
hickslawns,
I picked up my MP-153 for $350, 6 years ago, at Floyd Snider's gun shop...just down the road from you. Looks like they've gone up about $100, but still worth it. Lots of features for the money.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...rated+12+Ga.+w24"+Barrel(4)+Mobile+ChokesCamo

I definately recommend a semi-auto, over a pump...for what you're interested in doing with it.

The Mossberg 935 can be had into the mid $500s. Again, all the other brands are going to be over the $600 mark.

Good luck with your choices!
Bowhunter57