Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Camp Rex?

mrex

*Supporting member*
I'd suggest a mid-October hunt. This county is primarily forested and white oak acorns, (THE preferred food when available), are usually cleaned up by the end of October, regardless of the overall hard mast production.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Undecided at this point. Mark me up as a "maybe". Not sure I want to eat a deer that isn't corn fed. You guys have a local FHFH chapter in Athens? I could donate a SE Ohio deer.

I am sure we could find one of Coonies cornpiles for you to shoot one off of. Heck, or maybe mrex could go out and pre-bait a few spots for us since he already lives in the area. If we are going to make the trip we wanna have all the things in place to make sure we whack as many as possible.

mrex

*Supporting member*
But will he leave the light on and will there be a campfire?

There's solar powered lights in the out houses but I can't guarantee a campfire...we lost 63 fire rings in the last 2 weeks to scrap metal thieves!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
There's solar powered lights in the out houses but I can't guarantee a campfire...we lost 63 fire rings in the last 2 weeks to scrap metal thieves!

We can bring our own. Dang, you'd think it would be easier to just find a job.

mrex

*Supporting member*
Mrex, post a link to your cabin site.

www.lakehillcabins.com

My wife also leases the Strouds Run Boat House and Campground from the state. Smack in the middle of thousands of acres of public hunting.

I wouldn't suggest opening weekend for anybody but Mountaineer as the hunting pressure is very high. The 2nd or even 3rd week of October are relatively quiet and could be a good time to wack and stack. I have a couple buddies from New Hampshire who hunt here every year in mid October and they never struggle to fill their antlerless tags with "skippa's and lambs."

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ya'...those are the unemployed "frens" that coon speaks so fondly of. I'm thinking about rock and mortar replacements.

Sorry to hear that Mrex. Hard enough to keep up with the expenses of a small business. Nobody needs to be dealing with this crap as well. On a similar note, I put a street sweeping bid into the local Omnisource facility today and they said business has been pretty steady the last couple years. Gee! I wonder why? Could it be the lack of jobs and/or high demand of feeding your drug habits?