Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How many different types of weapons have you taken an Ohio deer with?

FredT

SE Ohio
Back OT,

Shotgun
Xbow
Inline, Sidelock, Flintlock
Handgun
Compound

Not very proficient with vehicles. Hit two, both were run offs. Maybe I need to up the horse power.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Back OT,

Not very proficient with vehicles. Hit two, both were run offs. Maybe I need to up the horse power.

You know ballistics better then that. The problem is your velocity is too low, you need to drive very fast to get hydrostatic shock. Do that and them deerz will drop in their tracks!

Lundy

5 different muzzleloaders - Charles Daily, Knight MK85, Knight Grand American, Savage ML11, Savage custom 45
5 different shotguns - Winchester model 1300, Ithica Deer slayer, Remington 870 20 ga, Savage 210 bolt slug gun, H&R ultra Slugster
6 different bows - Bear whitetail, Bear Blackbear, Martin Jaguar, Martin Cougar Magnum, Browning Mirage, Browning Maxim ( I had many of the Cougar Magnums, and the Browning bows)

It was fun going back and remembering all of the history.

I have no clue how many deer I have shot with a gun over the years, and don't remember with most of the bows. I do however remember the numbers for a few of the early bows and their successes

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Back OT,

Shotgun
Xbow
Inline, Sidelock, Flintlock
Handgun
Compound

Fred, if that diesel don't have the power nothing does rotflmao

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Cougar Mags were the bow to have back in the day! :) I still have the first one they cam out with that had hatchet cams. I've had to replace everything but the cams...those cams broke a lot of risers, limbs, cables...

Lundy

Cougar Mags were the bow to have back in the day! :) I still have the first one they cam out with that had hatchet cams. I've had to replace everything but the cams...those cams broke a lot of risers, limbs, cables...

Jerry Swim that owned Hunters retreat was my hunting buddy. He built a bunch of modifed Cougar mags with the drilled wheels for the higher let off back in the day.

Jerry kept a lot of extra limbs in stock for the Cougar cam bows!!!!

It is funny I was talking to my son the other day about some guy that Jerry hired to come to his shop and put on a turkey seminar many, many years ago. It was some no name guy that no one had very heard off before. The guys name was Will Primos!!Today I even use some of his game cameras, how funny life is. He has done good for himself.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Hehe . Mouse had a couple of PSE bows with 100+ limbs. He had Ray Postawait drill a few sets of Bear wheels to roll backwards. He was drawing 104 lbs and holding around 20. Its funny how good some bowhunters were at "fixing" manufactures deficiencies. I suspect most folks bowhunting today have no idea just how good the equipment we shoot today really is. That dang Cougar Mag blew apart on me more times than I can count, and usually right at the start of bow season. I killed a good 8 point in 86 with a borrowed Darton that only had two pins hastily sighted in. Killed that deer on November 4...the cougar had blown apart on Halloween. Rattled him in to 10 yards as I hid on the ground behind a tree. Still see it like it was this morning. Game getter II, 2219, Rocky Mountain 3 blade 125 grain. :) BTW, I killed that deer about 100yds from the property line of the Picaway County sportsman club...I know you've shot a few arrows there!:)

Lundy

Yes those were they good ole days of needing to modify a bow to see how fast you could push it and keep it together. I hunted with a Cougar mag at 95 lbs for years, how silly. I was able to get the 2317's to fly once they came out and dump the 2219's then on to 2512's for the shoots, building homemade overdraws, stupid stuff.

How did you separate Ray and Homer long enough for Ray to do anything? I still have a bunch of pictures of all of them when we used to hunt Drummond island, fun times

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I never did, but somehow Mouse got 'em apart. I suspect he told Ray he wouldn't build his arrows until his wheels were drilled. :) Those guys used to hunt really close to my Grandpa's farm in Vinton. I'd stop by and say Hi once in a while. Seemed they were going out to look for a deer one of 'em shot most every night. I don't know if they ever found one... :)

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I still have over-draws out in my shop. I haven't a clue why I haven't pitched 'em. I guess I figure I may need them someday. I have an old Golden Eagle Turbo Hawk that Mouse worked on for me. I had him put the 3" High Country wheels on it. That was one fast SOBow. I never did shoot it worth a crap after the modifications...but man was it fast! (probably pushed 250, hehe)

old hunter

Recurves,many compounds, PSE's,Jennings,& now Hoyt, shotguns, muzzle loaders, Model 29 Smith & Wessson 44 mag.T.C.Contender 44 mag. & 45-70. Several different rifles all over in other states Over a 50 year time span. Allot of great times,with allot of great friends. Allot of stories !!