Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio Deer and Turkey Expo 2012

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I had the honor of finally meeting Dan. His booth looked really nice, so did the product! No idea on sales, but I did see some walking away from the booth with decoys in hand. Joe and Jesse were working hard to move product, but I think they put most of their efforts into BSing. :)

That place is full of really nice deer, as you all know. There are big antlers anywhere a person wants to look. Adam Hayes had a collection of his heads in a booth, but one of our own members was representing as well as anyone. I'm sure it's nice to have that caliber of deer under your belt, but it must be even better to have your sons killing them too!

Mason got another bow while we were there. I enjoyed chatting with Dan, Joe, Jesse and Mike. Really was a nice way to waste a few hours. And btw, they must have fixed the turkey call issue - I never heard ONE!

Attachments

• IMG00308-20120317-1446.jpg
    IMG00308-20120317-1446.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Dan was the only one of the bunch I haven't known for several years. I had Mason (my chubby, never forgets a thing, redneck son) with me. He brought up some dove hunting memories at Joe's expense...from about three years ago!:) Mason just hasn't got it through his head yet that dove hunting is just about running through ammo.... he still thinks you should try to hit 'em. Myself, Joe, and another fella tried to teach him better but he just never seemed to understand. He told Joe to try aiming. :)

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I should add that Mason was playing with Dan's display decoys, so Dan gave him one. Mason has named the thing "Steve". I have no idea why it needed a name, or how he came up with that one, but that is what it's called now!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Last I knew, Dan had sold a handful of dekes and arrow holders. Didn't seem like there was a lot of buying going on today all across the board. It was good to finally meet Dan! He's been on "the list" for years. Also got to see Joe, Brock, Phil, Alex and Mike Rex. I'm crossing a bucket list item off right now as I endure a 1.5 hour wait at Thurmans Cafe!!!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That's the problem with the expo anymore. Doesn't seem like folks come there with money to spend unless you are selling jerky! I didn't get any dekes from Dan today, cause Mason spent all my money on that bow!:) They look great though, so I am gonna order some from him immediately. I've never purposely gone out to kill crows, but I can see where it would be a boatload of fun and plan to give it a try. Dan's dekes look like crows to me, so that's gotta make it a little easier to kill 'em right?

TripleA88

*Supporting Member*
Stop by the Hangtime Booth. Dan hooked me up with some arrow holders and decoys. Thanks again! Pretty much the purpose of my trip to the expo was to get my g/f in the hunting atmosphere. She bought me the Haint gobble call and a new turkey vest for my birthday.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I can cross Dan off my list of people yet to meet. Somehow missed Brock and Alex. Got to chat with Joe, Jesse, and Mike though. Enjoyable visit. I also was able to get back in touch with Nicole Jones. I haven't talked to her since we were dating before she got famous. She did ask for my number, but I told her I was married with children and I didn't think it was a good idea. lmao

Memorable experiences: 1) Meeting Dannmann and his lovely wife. I would say Dan married up. She was a sweetheart. I tease Dan, I tease. 2) Meeting Mike Rex's business partner for the Copperhead Clothes. I listened to his whole sales pitch. After he was done, I asked him why I should buy a set of clothes off him if Mike himself ends up using Brock's Scent Smoker to smoke them up? The look of the Rex boys turning their heads in my direction with big smiles on their faces was priceless. I had to chuckle about that one. I am sure they are a fine product. I was just trying NOT to spend money today and I had already reached my limit for the day.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sorry I missed you, Phil. Did he have a good answer for you? That is something we'll need to iron out... I will say this, the one time I was busted while being smoked up was caused by wearing undergarments that were just too funky to smoke the stinch out of. Of course that is all theory, but it is all I have come up with on the matter, and I searched long and hard for that answer. Cooperhead underbritches would solve that problem. No more poly-pro for me!

I don't recall what the score was on this deer, but it was in the 180's I think. From Ross Co. Heck of a deer. He was mounted with barbed wire and cornstalks in the antlers. I thought it was really cool, and wish I'd have taken a better picture now.

Attachments

• IMG00307-20120317-1338.jpg
    IMG00307-20120317-1338.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 154

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Wish I had more time to check out the deer and talk to Mike Rex. Right about the time we were talking to Mike was when we were trying to scoot out of there. My cousin's sitter called and said his boy was having issues. We were trying to wrap it up since he had 3.5hr drive back to KY. Kind of a bummer too because I would have liked to have talked to Mike a little more as well as check out the deer heads a little closer. I pretty much cruised through the deer and checked the counties only. I wanted to see if there were any local deer there. Randall Springer's 190+" Auglaize county deer was there. Very nice deer.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I would guess if you saw Mike at Dan's booth I didn't miss you by much. I walked Mike over to Dan's booth as he didn't know where it was yet, chatted for a few and had to leave myself. I hated to skip out fairly early too, but we are short handed here at the shop this week.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Saw him at the OBBC booth. He mentioned seeing you, Dan, Jesse, and "the elusive Jackalope Joe". haha

He probably saw more than that, I just remember mentioning seeing you guys at the booth. We actually got in late because my cousin had a long drive to meet me and my brother at the Cracker Barrel. We left breakfast and it was probably 1030-11am by the time we were in the door. Oh well. Just sucks we had to leave early. Kinda wished we had driven separate instead of ditching my truck and driving to the expo together. Could have sat around and helped Dannmann a bit and enjoyed a little more time checking out the mounts.

Sorry I missed you, Phil. Did he have a good answer for you?

Brock- he had a great reply which I felt was very professional as well. He had a big smile and said "Shhhhhh! Don't let our secret out."

One other thing I felt was very commendable was the work of Jesse and Joe at Dan's booth. Not sure how long they were there, but I know standing at a booth all day can be exhausting. Seeing the Joe and Jesse show out front working the crowd as I walked up was pretty cool. Gotta love seeing the TOO family working TOOgether! Pretty nice to see. Then again, sometimes just having traffic in front of your booth draws in more people. Weird how that works. No customers for 5-10min, one of your buddies stops in to say hello, and you are slammed with customers all of the sudden. Pretty crazy.

Last edited: