Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Frost Seeding

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've never done this, but I'd like to this year. When is the best time and what are the best conditions to frost-seed some clover? What type of clover have you had the most success with frost-seeding and at what seeding rate?

Also, does this unusually-mild winter change things as far as when you'd time your frost-seeding?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'd have to think you would need frost to frost seed, so it looks like we are fugged this year!!! :smiley_blackeye:

I have this saved in my file on deer related tips. I found it last year and thought it would be worth digging up again...

[video=youtube;GPdeJpDdmVo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPdeJpDdmVo[/video]

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Here is some other info I saved. This from Darron back in the OS days...

A great time to frost seed is around Feb. Catch a light snow and put it out right before a warm up. The melting snow will "suck" the seed into the ground.

Be warned about clover plots. They require a lot of work with spraying and several mowings throughout the year to prevent weed competition. I tried a clover plot this year on my property in Vinton and due to the distance, I could not maintain the clover like I wanted. Now I am doing all fall plots because they require less work. Since I live 90 min away, it's hard for me to get down there every month and mow. My fall plots I spray, till, plant, drag and pray for rain. I can do everything, except the spraying, in one day. Plus, since I am planting in the fall, the weeds do not take over as much.

This year I plan on trying shot plot in my lower plot that receives a lot of sun and has a higher ph and winter rye on my gasline plot that gets a lot of shade.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'd have to think you would need frost to frost seed, so it looks like we are fugged this year!!! :smiley_blackeye:

Lol... Basically, that's exactly why I posed this question. When do I frost-seed if we've got no snow or frost? lol

Thanks for the info, Jesse. One of these days I'll wise up and save some of the info I read on these forums as well. Hopefully Darron will chime in here, too...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I was being as smartass as much as anything! LOL. The way the weather has been down here, you may not have a chance to frost seed at this point. I have Hostas sprouting already and my grass needs mowed. WTF!?!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I was being as smartass as much as anything! LOL. The way the weather has been down here, you may not have a chance to frost seed at this point. I have Hostas sprouting already and my grass needs mowed. WTF!?!

Yea this weather is nuts. There are guys already catching walleyes in the rivers and out on the reefs of Erie.... It's gonna be a weird year I think.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have a couple people that want grass seed from me right now for this very reason. Talking about rain/snow this weekend aren't they? Then another warmup I think? I can't assure you of anything, but that sounds about as ideal as any. Might be different in your area though.

matt hougan

Dayton area
The idea behind frost or dormant seeding is that the seed will make contact with the soil through any kind of thatch due to the freeze thaw action. It will sit there until the ground temps reach 50 degrees at which time it will germinate. The good thing is when you dormant seed your seed will germinate earlier than if you try to time the ground temps reaching 50 degrees. Your seeds will get an earlier start and get the advantage to all that spring rain. I'd say now is as good as any to sew the seeds. I know I will be putting down about 300 pounds of seed next week.

Buckmaster

Portage
I "frost" seeded some clover last year in late August before a big rain on some bear spots in my plots. It was full and lush by October. I'd say anytime now should be ok. It's on my "to do" list as well.

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
Frost seeded clover last weekend and will finish up tomorrow. Will be frostt seeding white clover instead of red. White stays palatable longer and does not get as tall as red. Therefore, less mowings throughout the summer. I frost seeded clover into spent brassica strips and also into cereal grains. All you need is a couple nights of below freezing temps with highs reaching in the 40's. That freeze to muddy action works the seed into the ground.

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
The idea behind frost or dormant seeding is that the seed will make contact with the soil through any kind of thatch due to the freeze thaw action. It will sit there until the ground temps reach 50 degrees at which time it will germinate. The good thing is when you dormant seed your seed will germinate earlier than if you try to time the ground temps reaching 50 degrees. Your seeds will get an earlier start and get the advantage to all that spring rain. I'd say now is as good as any to sew the seeds. I know I will be putting down about 300 pounds of seed next week.

300 pounds of seed??????? How many acres you frost seeding? 300# could easily frost seed 30 acres at 10# an acre

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
Hehehe, fescue. Same principal. BTW, you have any experience with sugar beats?

SB are a long season brassica. They need around 150 days of growth and must be planted in May or early June for optimal results. You can no longer buy round up ready SB. Therefore, they are a pain to grow due to weed issues in the spring and summer. SB are a great draw, but without the round up ready variety, they aren't worth growing (too many weed issues). Instead I plant a mix of turnips, rape and radishes in mid July. These are short season brassicas (70-90 day) and out grow most weeds that get started after planting. My brassica strips this year got very heavy use. There's not a bulb or top found in my strips.

matt hougan

Dayton area
Nothin funnier than watchin deer eat sugar beats. Look like they got a huge wad of tobacco in thier mouth.

So if I spray roundup during turkey season adter I bush hog July should give thr roots plenty of time to rot so my disc can cut? I dont want to have to till.

Last edited:

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
Nothin funnier than watchin deer eat sugar beats. Look like they got a huge wad of tobacco in thier mouth.

So if I spray roundup during turkey season adter I bush hog July should give thr roots plenty of time to rot so my disc can cut? I dont want to have to till.

I don't know if one spraying would be enough to kill the flush of weeds. SB don't do well with competing weeds. Planting in JUly I doubt you would get much growth before fall.

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
for those of you that frost seeded before this warm spell you should be seeing clover seedlings popping out of the ground. I checked mine on Saturday where I frost seeded into bare patches and they are coming up nicely. The fall planted clover is growing like crazy as well and is easily up now for deer and turkey to forage on

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
for those of you that frost seeded before this warm spell you should be seeing clover seedlings popping out of the ground. I checked mine on Saturday where I frost seeded into bare patches and they are coming up nicely. The fall planted clover is growing like crazy as well and is easily up now for deer and turkey to forage on

I dropped the ball......