Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The shakes...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I had a good laugh at my own expense last night while at the taxidermist and thought I'd share my "issue" with you all. It was certainly a telling moment for my obsession with certain deer!

Since 2008, I have taken all my animals to Preston Ginther with Tall Timbers Taxidermy after meeting him at one of the local fairs. He does great work and it is always a pleasure to do business with him. (He is the one that mounted Mrs. Flutemans deer this year.) While we were discussing how to put the finishing touches on my blue phase snow goose from Missouri, I was searching through all the racks hanging in his shop. I took a causal glance at the wall of racks when I got there, but waited to get down and dirty until I could gather up the guts to do so. Given that Preston's shop is a few miles from our farm, it is a good possibility that deer I am familiar with will end up hanging in his shop and that was what I was afraid of!!!

As I started at one end of the racks, I was pretty calm and collected. But as I worked my way down the wall, I noticed my hands sweating and shaking like I was on death row! I was having trouble carrying on a conversation and my mouth felt like I had swallowed a handful of cotton balls! Then it happened... "Oh shit. There's a flyer off the left G2. Is that a split brow?!?"

At this point, I was shaking so damn bad I could hardly get my phone out to load pics of Moe so I could make sure I knew what I was looking at, and looking for. Preston left to get a sample turkey base and I attempted to get the rack off the wall for a better look, but my hands were shaking so bad I couldn't get it untangled from the mass of antlers around it. Just then I caught a glimpse of the last name on the tag and I almost threw up right there; "I know that name..." I reached for the tag with the hands of an epileptic and turned it around for a better look...

"Sweet Jesus! It's a WV deer!!!" :smiley_clap:

I should have snapped a picture of this rack because of how similar it was to Moe's, but I was so beside myself with fear, elation, and just about every other emotion I forgot to do so. After I eliminated that rack from contention, I went on down the line and I'm somewhat happy to report that I did not see any deer that I know. In a way, that was a tremendous relief. But at the same time, it doesn't do much for solving the mystery. Regardless, I still had to laugh at myself on the way home because I was such a nervous fuggin' wreck while digging through those racks!!! lmao

This is the last pic of him after getting pics in 14 consecutive months. (Minus the one month I didn't have cams out...) Where did you go old boy?!?

Huckleberry Finn

I forgot how good that damn deer looks!

But yes, trips to the taxi can be hope crushing or give you hope you didn't expect...

oakswamper

around Toledo
That is a nice buck.. I've been chasing a big one for a couple years, my buddy (who is a sheriff ) called me last November and told me he thinks a guy just hit the deer on the road and didn't want it, so I jump up and go meet him. I get there and walk around his car and it was just a button buck:tantrum: he said he wanted me to make him summer sausage and knew I wouldn't come unless he told me that it was the biggin...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
That is a nice buck.. I've been chasing a big one for a couple years, my buddy (who is a sheriff ) called me last November and told me he thinks a guy just hit the deer on the road and didn't want it, so I jump up and go meet him. I get there and walk around his car and it was just a button buck:tantrum: he said he wanted me to make him summer sausage and knew I wouldn't come unless he told me that it was the biggin...

HA! Don't get me started on deer/vehicle collisions!!! This deer is nothing compared to the last time I spent 2-3 years chasing a deer...

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Glad to hear it wasn't Moe Jesse, but you know his fate is still uncertain till his sheds turn up or you get him back on TC this summer. Fingers crossed for you buddy! If he did make it, I can't wait to see what he looks like this fall.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Glad to hear it wasn't Moe Jesse, but you know his fate is still uncertain till his sheds turn up or you get him back on TC this summer. Fingers crossed for you buddy! If he did make it, I can't wait to see what he looks like this fall.

Well said FS. With your TC success their is not a doubt in my mind that if he is still alive you will know by June.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ha! I feel bad for ya man but that is some funny chit. I would have loved to to have been a fly on the wall when all that went down. lmao

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I wouldn't worry about the 6 cards. Either he is on them or not. Doesn't matter. It is quite obvious he has changed his patterns and moved on. The big question is going to be whether he returns to a close home range area before next season. I have read in multiple articles about conflicting opinions on home ranges. Some articles state there are deer that change their home range several times during a season. Makes sense. Time will tell Jesse. Either he is alive or not. If he is dead, then Jesse will do what Jesse has done in the past: Go find another big boy to pursue! Good luck man!