Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Help me drag my uhhhhh deer...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

What a couple of tards..

On New Year's Eve, State Wildlife Officer Brad Kiger received a call from a police officer assigned to a Columbus suburb in Franklin County. The police officer had received a complaint about two hunters who failed to follow proper procedure while participating in an archery hunting program and that one of the hunters had killed a beaver. Kiger arrived to assist the police officer. While interviewing one of the hunters, the hunter stated that he was archery hunting when he shot what he thought was a deer; it turned out to be a beaver. The hunter said he saw "the deer" laying down along a small ridge among some trees and shot it. When he got down from his treestand he found out it was not a deer, but a beaver. The hunter had a valid hunting license and deer permit, but did not have a fur taker permit. Beaver season was in, but state law only allows for trapping, unless a special permit is given. When asked what the second hunter was doing, the second hunter stated that he was just helping drag out the deer (which was the beaver) and was not hunting. The police officer stated that he found the two subjects coming out of a field dragging the beaver by a rope. While checking the second hunter's hunting license and deer permits, Kiger found that the hunter had his fiancée's deer permit. Kiger issued the first hunter two citations, one for no fur taker permit and one for shooting the beaver. The hunter was ordered to pay $314 for the two citations. The second hunter was issued a citation for carrying the deer permit of another person while hunting and ordered to pay $182. The hunter that shot the beaver was also given a talking to about identifying his target before shooting it.

Ohio Outdoor News

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Glad to see you're feeling better.... BAM!
lmao

• After receiving multiple reports of anglers failing to adhere to the sport fish length limits on Berlin Lake, Mahoning County Wildlife Officer Tom Frank decided to organize a law enforcement project with Stark County Wildlife Officer Mark Basinger and Portage County Wildlife Officer Barry Hennig in order to address this problem. On a planned Friday evening in September, the officers departed the work unit in their boat with an objective of targeting this illegal fishing activity. They immediately discovered the possession of a short crappie in the first watercraft they checked. Shortly thereafter, the officers approached another boat and noticed an incoherent man standing inside. The angler, while attempting to show the officers the fish in his bucket, slipped and fell into the water. While Frank and Basinger were stabilizing the fisherman's boat, Hennig climbed onto the other watercraft and pulled the man aboard. After assessing the situation, Hennig determined that the man was not intoxicated and needed immediate medical attention. Hennig piloted the man's boat to the docks while contacting the ODNR's Communications Center for EMS assistance. The emergency medical personnel arrived, assessed the man's condition, and determined that he needed to be transported to the hospital immediately. Following the incident, the officers inventoried and transported the watercraft to a secure location. The next day, after the suspect was released from the hospital and came to retrieve his boat, he was served with two summonses for undersized walleye and crappie. The man appeared in court, was found guilty, and paid $201 in fines and court costs. For safety reasons, the court also ordered the man to stay off the water unless he is accompanied by another adult.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Depends on which end of the ruler you start from.. Yep... lmao

• While working on the evening before the Fourth of July, Wildlife Officer Cody Klima contacted two men fishing in a channel that feeds into Lake Erie. As soon as the officer made contact, it was apparent that both men were heavily intoxicated. The men had a 12-inch largemouth bass in their cooler, which one of the men stated he had caught. Klima informed the men of the 14-inch length limit on black bass where they were fishing. The officer then used his ruler to show the men that the fish was only 12 inches long. In an attempt to outsmart the officer, the intoxicated man tried moving the tail of the fish to the 14-inch mark. The man's fishing partner quickly agreed that the fish was indeed 14 inches. Obviously, the officer did not fall for the men's trick and a citation was issued for possession of an undersized bass. Klima had written the same man one year prior for fishing without a license.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Well I do when I feel like it....

• County wildlife officers often have the opportunity to work with the Lake Erie investigators during the peak summer months. While patrolling Lake Erie with investigator Jerry Duckworth last July, Williams County Wildlife Officer Thomas Kochert located a vessel anchored in Sandusky Bay. Since the weather was rough earlier that morning, not many boats were out yet. Duckworth approached the vessel and Kochert could see two subjects fishing from the stern. As the officers approached, one subject held his license in his hand, while the other insisted he had bought one earlier in the year. After several checks with Columbus, the subject's license could not be found. He then admitted that he buys them "every other year or so." This was obviously the "off" year. He was cited for fishing without a license in the Erie County Municipal Court.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Hey man... Can you tell me what dis here bird is i dun shot..

• While working law enforcement activities during the September teal season, Geauga County Wildlife Officer Scott Denamen encountered several hunters at the Auburn Marsh Wildlife Area. The men told Denamen that they had seen numerous birds at first light, most of them wood ducks. Shortly thereafter another hunter emerged from the swamp. He approached Denamen and asked him if he could identify the duck he had killed. The hunter then removed a hen wood duck from his bag. Denamen took the opportunity to educate the hunter on the importance of proper waterfowl identification and the fact that wood ducks were not currently in season. The man was charged with the offense and ordered to appear in court.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

He's in the "dog box"
lmao lmao

• State Wildlife Officer Matt VanCleve received a jacklighting complaint on the west side of Pike County. VanCleve worked the complaint area for several nights. On the second morning, at approximately 1:10 a.m., VanCleve heard the report of a small-caliber firearm. After approximately three minutes, a very slow moving car drove past VanCleve, who watched the slow moving vehicle turn southbound, casting its headlights onto a picked soybean field. VanCleve made a traffic stop and discovered an adult driving the vehicle with two boys inside. A .22 caliber rifle was discovered in the front passenger's side seat. The driver told VanCleve his grandchildren wanted to go raccoon hunting, and then held up a headlamp. VanCleve found the condition of the rifle was not in compliance with the Ohio revised code. The driver informed the officer that his ‘coon dog was in the dog box in the back of the vehicle. VanCleve looked to the rear portion of the car and did not see a dog box, and then searched the vehicle and found no spent cartridges. The driver opened the trunk of the vehicle, where VanCleve discovered a confused looking hound. The driver was issued a citation to appear in the Pike County Court for mishandling a firearm in a motor vehicle. The defendant entered a plea of no contest and was found guilty. The defendant was ordered to pay $200.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
They live amongst us.... idiots on parade lol.... mistaking a beaver for a deer is priceless hahaha

Holding the line when the Warden asked him "And what are you doing here" "Well duh.. Helping drag the deer" I can see the officer throw his book in the air and say "It's a fucking beaver!" lmao

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.

Glad to see you're feeling better.... BAM!
lmao

• After receiving multiple reports of anglers failing to adhere to the sport fish length limits on Berlin Lake, Mahoning County Wildlife Officer Tom Frank decided to organize a law enforcement project with Stark County Wildlife Officer Mark Basinger and Portage County Wildlife Officer Barry Hennig in order to address this problem. On a planned Friday evening in September, the officers departed the work unit in their boat with an objective of targeting this illegal fishing activity. They immediately discovered the possession of a short crappie in the first watercraft they checked. Shortly thereafter, the officers approached another boat and noticed an incoherent man standing inside. The angler, while attempting to show the officers the fish in his bucket, slipped and fell into the water. While Frank and Basinger were stabilizing the fisherman's boat, Hennig climbed onto the other watercraft and pulled the man aboard. After assessing the situation, Hennig determined that the man was not intoxicated and needed immediate medical attention. Hennig piloted the man's boat to the docks while contacting the ODNR's Communications Center for EMS assistance. The emergency medical personnel arrived, assessed the man's condition, and determined that he needed to be transported to the hospital immediately. Following the incident, the officers inventoried and transported the watercraft to a secure location. The next day, after the suspect was released from the hospital and came to retrieve his boat, he was served with two summonses for undersized walleye and crappie. The man appeared in court, was found guilty, and paid $201 in fines and court costs. For safety reasons, the court also ordered the man to stay off the water unless he is accompanied by another adult.

I just want to comment about WO Franks. From my meetings with him and my friends that have met him he really seems like a great person to enforce the game regulations. I have yet to hear anyone say a bad word about him. He's in the Army reserves and was in Afghanistan last year but is back now. Mahoning county is lucky to have him as our WO.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
"Sir, quit moving the fish"....Whatcha talking about warden, that there fish is 14" long. Lets check it again. "Sir your moving the fish again"

hahahahahaha

I bet he kept his hand over the nose of the fish when he moved it to cover it up... "YEP.. 14 on the money!" lmao

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I just want to comment about WO Franks. From my meetings with him and my friends that have met him he really seems like a great person to enforce the game regulations. I have yet to hear anyone say a bad word about him. He's in the Army reserves and was in Afghanistan last year but is back now. Mahoning county is lucky to have him as our WO.

Especially since the guy he replaced was generally disliked by everyone he came in contact with hahaha