Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Farmer attitude

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I had to run to town around lunch time to get some rebar for snare stakes. While I was in town I stopped in our pizza shop to check things out. One of the first farmers I met after moving to this area was sitting in the dining room having lunch. He is one of the fellas I gun hunted with back in 94, and was widely respected as "the guy" that always kills "the big one". I have seen a collection of the deer he has killed over the years, and it is impressive! Anyway, being a rather large grain farmer and deer hunter, it seemed he would be a good one to ask a few questions of.

I asked him if he knew we had the largest estimated deer herd ever in Ohio. His reply;" I don't know about the rest of the state, but we sure as h**l don't have 'em here anymore!"
I asked if he had ever heard of the "Farmer Attitude Survey". His reply; " Nope, what's that?"
I asked if he had complained about crop damage from deer. His reply; "Deer have never damaged my corn. Squirrels and coons tear the sh*t out of it, but not deer" "I've heard others say deer damage corn, just never seen it".
I asked if he knew the DOW was pointing the finger at the farming community for intentionally lowering the deer herd (though they claim the highest estimated population ever). His reply; "They can't blame me. I've been shooting every coyote I see and not shooting does for years. In fact this spring while cutting hay, I jumped up two little fawns. A coyote saw them and started across the field after them. I quit cutting and got the tractor between the coyote and the fawns. Wish I'd have had a rifle".

Who are these "farmers" that are demanding we keep killing all the deer? They sure as heck don't live or farm around me!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Talked to my lease president in VC last night to see how the season finished out. Asked him how the does were "Sad, can't see them anywhere, not even dead on the roads, those damn asphalt babies in Columbus need to get their heads out of their ass and in the woods."
lmao lmao lmao "asphalt babies"

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
But Joe, we have the highest estimated deer herd in the history of Ohio. Tell your lease president that, and then tell him to get off his lazy ass and go find them. They are probably in the corn, or acorns.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
I had to run to town around lunch time to get some rebar for snare stakes. While I was in town I stopped in our pizza shop to check things out. One of the first farmers I met after moving to this area was sitting in the dining room having lunch. He is one of the fellas I gun hunted with back in 94, and was widely respected as "the guy" that always kills "the big one". I have seen a collection of the deer he has killed over the years, and it is impressive! Anyway, being a rather large grain farmer and deer hunter, it seemed he would be a good one to ask a few questions of.

I asked him if he knew we had the largest estimated deer herd ever in Ohio. His reply;" I don't know about the rest of the state, but we sure as h**l don't have 'em here anymore!"
I asked if he had ever heard of the "Farmer Attitude Survey". His reply; " Nope, what's that?"
I asked if he had complained about crop damage from deer. His reply; "Deer have never damaged my corn. Squirrels and coons tear the sh*t out of it, but not deer" "I've heard others say deer damage corn, just never seen it".
I asked if he knew the DOW was pointing the finger at the farming community for intentionally lowering the deer herd (though they claim the highest estimated population ever). His reply; "They can't blame me. I've been shooting every coyote I see and not shooting does for years. In fact this spring while cutting hay, I jumped up two little fawns. A coyote saw them and started across the field after them. I quit cutting and got the tractor between the coyote and the fawns. Wish I'd have had a rifle".

Who are these "farmers" that are demanding we keep killing all the deer? They sure as heck don't live or farm around me!

I cant believe that he didn't know that the deer are destroying all of his crops, stupid farmer.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I asked him, "Ronnie, do you remember how we shot all those deer in the mid-90's?" He said "Yeah, man that was fun. We had 'em everywhere back then." I told him I've expressed that very thought to people and some thought I was nuts...and they think I'm nuts because the DOW started claiming we have more deer than ever-----and they are WRONG.