Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Little friend is back!

FredT

SE Ohio
Earlier in the fall I posted this pic of a yearling sporting 7 points coming in late to feed.

He's back! He has been coming in to feed for the past several evenings and looks no worse for wear. He remembers me and comes right in. He knows the soup kitchen is still open.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Maybe I never noticed this time of year but his tarsal gland is so dark.
Its great you have that group!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
That's good he came back. Nice pic TOO. We had one that hung out in my backyard and let me get pretty close (20 feet) one fall........ Just after bow season came in he vanished.

FredT

SE Ohio
That's what I thought. Almost all of the yearlings behind the house are 6, 7 or 8 pointers their first year. They are always spindley like this one, but good point numbers. Maybe the year round food and Trophy mineral rocks help.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
When you pet them, are they like a dog; each having a certain spot to scratch or rub?

FredT

SE Ohio
Now that is funny. I have not touched one in about 2 years. When I would rub or scratch their neck they would lean into it if they liked it.

Duck Commander

That's what I thought. Almost all of the yearlings behind the house are 6, 7 or 8 pointers their first year. They are always spindley like this one, but good point numbers. Maybe the year round food and Trophy mineral rocks help.

That's what it's all about. Last year I didn't bother with it but this year I'm gonna get back to putting out a fresh deer lick 2-3 times over the off-season. It helps a lot, not only to keep the deer interested but it keeps them healthy as well.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I try and freshen my mineral licks about every two months. The off season is the most important for antler growth and Mother's milk.