Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wildlife Council Hears Proposals for 2012-13 Deer Hunting Seasons

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
They've been having controlled hunts for about 7 years now... Drawings are done and hunters are put in sections. Only thing is most the hunters go in there wanting to kill a big buck and its not working as planned...lol... People go in there thinking they won the lottery and come out with nothing...lol

That is about how long it's been since I asked about hunting. I have done a lot of work on their property and have seen a lot of dandy bucks there. I Stand Corrected On This One. Thanks JD.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
I'm guessing he consulted with other "dumbass" biologists from up in Wisconsin. I know this really made me rethink management practices on a large scale.

From JB's post:
"It is often popularly believed that smaller units result in more precise management, butthe opposite is more often true. Fragmentation of units reduces the precision of herd monitoring capability because sample sizes for key herd data (age data, hunting pressure, productivity) are smaller and subject to more inaccuracy. A change in any unit boundary also affects adjacent units. So, realignment of boundaries should be a last resort to resolving perceived problems within a unit. The cost in lost information and consistency of herd management is high every time a unit boundary is changed."

Mr. Rex. You conveniently left this out of JB's post..

"One big difference, though, is that WI has something like 130 different deer management units, whereas Ohio only has 3. Based on WI's trophy stats and harvest numbers over the past decade, it appears to be working rather well..."

I know nothing about deer management in Wisconsin other than what is written here. But I do think its pretty unfair to only half quote somebody to make your argument seem more legit.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Mr. Rex. You conveniently left this out of JB's post..

"One big difference, though, is that WI has something like 130 different deer management units, whereas Ohio only has 3. Based on WI's trophy stats and harvest numbers over the past decade, it appears to be working rather well..."

I know nothing about deer management in Wisconsin other than what is written here. But I do think its pretty unfair to only half quote somebody to make your argument seem more legit.

lmao.. That's all he's been doing the whole time man. Ignore anyone's point and pick out one thing to harp on.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I do...as a matter of fact, I drive from Athens Co to NE Ohio every week and I see more deer in Washington and Noble Counties than the rest of the ride combined. If you like to see deer from a vehicle, take a cruise on SR 33 the last half hour before dark from Marysville to Bellefontaine...I drive 1200 miles per week with my job and non of the areas I travel through come close to that 30 mile stretch.

:smiley_crocodile:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
:smiley_crocodile:

i agree..i travel 70 east and this is the first year i traveled that corridor and only needed one hand to count all the deer i see on it per trip. thats through muskingum and licking county!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
i agree..i travel 70 east and this is the first year i traveled that corridor and only needed one hand to count all the deer i see on it per trip. thats through muskingum and licking county!

I think Tonk played a joke on Mrex and drew deer on his truck glass.. lmao

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I eat, sleep, breath, shit and travel in Washington County 90% of the time I'm away from my bed. At least 2-3 times a week, I travel from Marietta to New Martinsville, WV along St. Rt. 7 which is loaded with corn fields and stretches of WNF. I could not tell you the last time I actually saw a deer during my drives north. I have made 3 up/back trips up 77 through Washington County in the past 6 weeks and saw a grand total of 2 deer in the process. I spend hundreds of hours a year back roading looking for deer and each year it has grown progressively worse. Ask just about anyone in this county if they see deer in the fields any more and the resounding response will be "NO". Mike's observation may very well be "true" to his experiences, but it in no way reflects the actual state of the deer herd in our county...

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I think Tonk played a joke on Mrex and drew deer on his truck glass.. lmao
maybe her was followin' this fella around?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
My drive from here to our farm in Warsaw is night and day different than even 4 years ago. That is Sunbury, OH (Delaware County) to Warsaw, OH (Coshocton County). Some of the best deer hunting in the state is supposed to be on this route. Next year just may be scary desolate.

epe

Lancaster
Mom and dad go to wheeling about every other week from Marietta. Dad used to talk about the deer they would see.. Hardly ever see any anymore.. Now all he talks about seeing is geese.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I drive 50 miles one way on Highway 70 between Springfield and Columbus. So 100 miles round trip. I don't anywhere near the deer I did 3 years ago..