Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wildlife Council Hears Proposals for 2012-13 Deer Hunting Seasons

mrex

*Supporting member*
How many different counties do you hunt a year? Any different areas of the state, besides athens county?

This year, I only hunted one county, (Athens), for a grand total of 2 hours and 15 minutes. I currently have permission to hunt property in Meigs, Washington, Vinton and Hocking Counties and have run cameras in all of those during the past few seasons. Where I hunt is based on what I see and where. Over the years, I have hunted deer in Athens, Gallia, Lawrence, Ross, Franklin, Licking, Muskingum, Guernsey, Perry, Delaware, Carroll, Harrison, Belmont, Tuscarawas, Coshocton and Stark Counties.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm guessing he consulted with other "dumbass" biologists from up in Wisconsin. I know this really made me rethink management practices on a large scale.

From JB's post:
"It is often popularly believed that smaller units result in more precise management, butthe opposite is more often true. Fragmentation of units reduces the precision of herd monitoring capability because sample sizes for key herd data (age data, hunting pressure, productivity) are smaller and subject to more inaccuracy. A change in any unit boundary also affects adjacent units. So, realignment of boundaries should be a last resort to resolving perceived problems within a unit. The cost in lost information and consistency of herd management is high every time a unit boundary is changed."

Your answer does not apply to my question(s) but rather implies I indicated Tonk to be a "dumbass". I have not. Read my questions again....THIS TIME OUT LOUD IF YOU MUST. hehe. If you have no answer, just say so vs changing the direction of the conversation. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

mrex

*Supporting member*
Your answer does not apply to my question(s) but rather implies I indicated Tonk to be a "dumbass". I have not. Read my questions again....THIS TIME OUT LOUD IF YOU MUST. hehe. If you have no answer, just say so vs changing the direction of the conversation. Thanks in advance.

And you’ve never been critical of Mike Tonkovich?

Haven't a clue. Vinton has essentially the same habitat as Athens, yet not the same number of deer. Does Tonk know why? Is it acknowledged there is a substantial difference in regions? If so, why the same bag limits for such huge, diverse areas?

While we’re on the subject of reading out loud…read the above bold print out loud and ask yourself if the below quote in blue is related?

"It is often popularly believed that smaller units result in more precise management, butthe opposite is more often true. Fragmentation of units reduces the precision of herd monitoring capability because sample sizes for key herd data (age data, hunting pressure, productivity) are smaller and subject to more inaccuracy. A change in any unit boundary also affects adjacent units. So, realignment of boundaries should be a last resort to resolving perceived problems within a unit. The cost in lost information and consistency of herd management is high every time a unit boundary is changed."

Wouldn't changing bag limits within a region "fragment the unit?"

Do they serve beer at that pizza place?

Last edited:

epe

Lancaster
This year, I only hunted one county, (Athens), for a grand total of 2 hours and 15 minutes. I currently have permission to hunt property in Meigs, Washington, Vinton and Hocking Counties and have run cameras in all of those during the past few seasons. Where I hunt is based on what I see and where. Over the years, I have hunted deer in Athens, Gallia, Lawrence, Ross, Franklin, Licking, Muskingum, Guernsey, Perry, Delaware, Carroll, Harrison, Belmont, Tuscarawas, Coshocton and Stark Counties.

The reason I asked, is do you not see how different areas of the state Are different? I traveled from Lancaster to Marietta multiple times at night during the rut. The only area I saw deer moving was around Athens.. In years past the whole drive down and back, I would be dodging deer... This year, hardly anything..

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
And you’ve never been critical of Mike Tonkovich?

While we’re on the subject of reading out loud…read the above bold print out loud and ask yourself if the below quote in blue is related?

Do they serve beer at that pizza place?

I suspect had your area's herd disappeared as mine has, you would be far more critical than I have been. I'm still giving the benefit of doubt, remember?

While I am reading this quote out loud, the only thing that comes to mind is the term "smaller". That is a relative term. How many management units does WI have? Is the entire state covered by three units? Kentucky only has 4 units, but they are per county (the counties are much smaller than Ohio's), and each county is likely as not in a different unit than the adjoining counties. In other words, Athen county may be in zone C while Vinton would perhaps be in zone A. Its as if they have taken the time to account for the number of deer in each zone and the pressure that county can sustain and the desired harvest to level, maintain, or increase the herd in those much smaller areas.

If you think I have been overly-critical of Tonk, maybe you are correct though I don't agree considering the circumstance. I know for a fact we have not enjoyed the largest deer herd in our history the last four years....unless of course they have all moved to Athens county. They sure as heck aren't here in the numbers they were ten or 15 years ago.

Its sucks being on the wrong side of a discussion doesn't it Mike? I've never seen you on the wrong side before, and it is somewhat enjoyable to watch. I appreciate your efforts. :)

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
And no we do not serve beer here at BIG CITY PIZZA, where we are open from 10-10 daily, 11 on Fri and Saturday and may be reached at 937 981 9700 for a delicious, hot pizza, subs, calzones, stromboli, wings or refreshing salad six days a week. :)

mrex

*Supporting member*
The reason I asked, is do you not see how different areas of the state Are different? I traveled from Lancaster to Marietta multiple times at night during the rut. The only area I saw deer moving was around Athens.. In years past the whole drive down and back, I would be dodging deer... This year, hardly anything..

I do...as a matter of fact, I drive from Athens Co to NE Ohio every week and I see more deer in Washington and Noble Counties than the rest of the ride combined. If you like to see deer from a vehicle, take a cruise on SR 33 the last half hour before dark from Marysville to Bellefontaine...I drive 1200 miles per week with my job and non of the areas I travel through come close to that 30 mile stretch.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
I do...as a matter of fact, I drive from Athens Co to NE Ohio every week and I see more deer in Washington and Noble Counties than the rest of the ride combined. If you like to see deer from a vehicle, take a cruise on SR 33 the last half hour before dark from Marysville to Bellefontaine...I drive 1200 miles per week with my job and non of the areas I travel through come close to that 30 mile stretch.

Keep your eyes on the road!!!

mrex

*Supporting member*
While I am reading this quote out loud, the only thing that comes to mind is the term "smaller". That is a relative term. How many management units does WI have? Is the entire state covered by three units? Kentucky only has 4 units, but they are per county (the counties are much smaller than Ohio's), and each county is likely as not in a different unit than the adjoining counties. In other words, Athen county may be in zone C while Vinton would perhaps be in zone A. Its as if they have taken the time to account for the number of deer in each zone and the pressure that county can sustain and the desired harvest to level, maintain, or increase the herd in those much smaller areas.

Wouldn't that be like moving Fayette Co located geographically in the middle of zone B into zone A?

Its sucks being on the wrong side of a discussion doesn't it Mike? I've never seen you on the wrong side before, and it is somewhat enjoyable to watch. I appreciate your efforts. :)

If you do a little google searching, you will see that Ohio doesn't hold a monopoly on disgruntled deer hunters. Every state has them. I think the old 80/20 rules applies to just about everywhere.

I've been a big proponent of micro managing the states deer herd for some time, however, after reading Jim's quote it opened my eyes to the advantages of doing it the way we do. Unlike some, I'm willing to change my mind when a compelling argument is made...:smile:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Wouldn't that be like moving Fayette Co located geographically in the middle of zone B into zone A?

If you do a little google searching, you will see that Ohio doesn't hold a monopoly on disgruntled deer hunters. Every state has them. I think the old 80/20 rules applies to just about everywhere.

I've been a big proponent of micro managing the states deer herd for some time, however, after reading Jim's quote it opened my eyes to the advantages of doing it the way we do. Unlike some, I'm willing to change my mind when a compelling argument is made...:smile:

Make a compelling argument then...I'm listening and hoping to be proved wrong.

I have done that Google search and have seen that many across the Midwest are upset. I do not live in IA, I am not concerned about them.

Do you EVER remember so many folks stating we have a poor deer herd? I do not. Yet, we have the highest estimated herd in history. I know, this is where you want to post the part about Tonk no longer issuing a "public" estimate. Makes no difference if he announces one or not, he has a number in mind, and I don't believe it to be accurate due to his public announcements of the last four years.

And yes, Fayette County is now an annomoly. I will tell you how that came to be on our next private conversation as I don't want to publicly disclose what I believe to be the case....you know, don't want to be overly critical and such. And btw, I haven't disclosed this to anyone else concerned either!

epe

Lancaster

That stretch of 33 has tons of deer. going west I have seen does fighting on the grass wall on the right.. Just outside of Athens on 50 there are tons of deer on the right hand side feeding within feet of the road.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio

Could this be since Honda owns so much land up in that area and is NO HUNTING?...Just wondeing?

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
Could this be since Honda owns so much land up in that area and is NO HUNTING?...Just wondeing?

They've been having controlled hunts for about 7 years now... Drawings are done and hunters are put in sections. Only thing is most the hunters go in there wanting to kill a big buck and its not working as planned...lol... People go in there thinking they won the lottery and come out with nothing...lol

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I would think that could be fixed with an earn a buck program. Maybe they already have that?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I thought you meant folks weren't shooting does in hopes of getting a good buck, therefore not thinning the herd as desired. Many municipalities require hunters to kill a doe or two before they are allowed to shoot a buck.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have talked to a couple guys that were drawn for Honda. They were humbled. Said they were given a section and pretty much no opportunity to scout it. Claimed those deer knew every escape route and then some. Not sure how the lottery works though. All I have to go on is a couple stories from unsuccessful hunters drawn. lol