Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wildlife Council Hears Proposals for 2012-13 Deer Hunting Seasons

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
ORC 1501:31-15-11 Deer regulations...

(e) Statewide muzzleloading deer season is open from the second Saturday after New Years Day through the following Tuesday.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I counted 134 days this year an 127 coming season....If im wrong I will admit it..Sept 24 2011 -Feb 5th 2012 ------------------- Sept 29 2012 -Feb 3rd 2013

You are right AND you a wrong. It will be 7 days shorter, but the DNR did not do that on purpose. It's just the cyclical nature of the calender and how the ORC dates are tied to it...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
You are right AND you a wrong. It will be 7 days shorter, but the DNR did not do that on purpose. It's just the cyclical nature of the calender and how the ORC dates are tied to it...

Yep. It's just how the calendar falls.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I wonder if the change in the $15 tags is about the doe population in zone C or about money lost through selling cheaper tags?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I wonder if the change in the $15 tags is about the doe population in zone C or about money lost through selling cheaper tags?

Doubt it's a revenue thing. The whole 15 dollar tag is nothing but a revenue generator. Lol. Ending a week early I don't think will have a large revenue positive. Simply because they had to buy the 24 dollar permits for bonus gun, archery, or muzzy anyway.

I'm going with the does. But it could be so people in A and B can't call in deer on zone C that week.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio

The doe population in C is waaay down. I can tell you that by all the people that hunt around me. More bucks then doe in this area in a long time. I mean, to me thats good/bad. Good that the bucks will have to cruise more and search harder for doe, bad that after the rut, deer are extremely scarce

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
The doe population in C is waaay down. I can tell you that by all the people that hunt around me. More bucks then doe in this area in a long time. I mean, to me thats good/bad. Good that the bucks will have to cruise more and search harder for doe, bad that after the rut, deer are extremely scarce

If the doe population is the reason then this would be an admission the herd is getting in line with the goals the ODNR has set. That would seem to be a huge change in attitude from the ODNR.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If the doe population is the reason then this would be an admission the herd is getting in line with the goals the ODNR has set. That would seem to be a huge change in attitude from the ODNR.

I agree, Sam. From my point of view, these proposed regs seem to be a step in the right direction. Whether it's a big enough step or not, I don't know... But at least it's proof that the ODNR is willing to adjust, albeit a minor adjustment.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I still can't help but wish we had not gone full bore in reducing the herd. I understand in areas, there still may be too many. But dang, in areas we hit 'em hard. I don't think it was just the liberal limits either, or the liberal seasons, I think the yotes (at least around here) became a bigger factor than the DOW was willing to accept. The lack of fawns over the last few years around here lead me to believe that....it isn't like the bag limits or seasons have such and affect on young of the year...we don't hunt 'em in June! Combined, I can see where errors are easily made.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Or the kitchen is a little hotter than it once was, and was looking to get a whole lot hotter in a couple months... :) Either way I am somewhat satisfied. No matter the motive it shows a willingness to pull in the reigns.. And no matter how you slice the pie, the removal of antlerless tags for shotgun will have a positive impact. I don't expect this to turn around overnight. And I don't expect the DNR to make a major overhaul.. We slowly slid into this, and we'll have to slowly climb out... Now, are we climbing or resting with these changes? That has yet to be seen.. Time will tell, but it's a step in the right direction, and I hope I see another one next year.. Like ohhhhhh removal of bonus shotgun.. :)

So thanks Tonk... :) You're Ok no matter what Rex says about you... lol

Last edited:

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
If I am reading this correct, zone C is still a 6 deer limit because of the antlerless tags? I wish they would make it a 3 deer limit PERIOD! Either 2 does and a buck or 3 doe.

On a bright note I am glad they threw out the idea of the early ML season. Talk about wiping out the females and screwing up the rut!

Last edited:

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Keep in mind that these are proposals and not set in stone......I think the heat still needs to be turned up to make sure these changes are implemented.