Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Thats a wrap

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Well my season ended pretty much like it began. warm, sunny, and soggy.
Did have a buck come right into my set. too bad he had already shed. See ya next year bud.
All in all it wasnt a bad season. I had plenty of action, I passed a few small bucks and young does. so that tells me my skills at scouting have improved. But there are still some things I need to work on over the summer.
I need to keep working on my shooting. And i definately want to get better at estimating yardage. My misjudgement of yardage caused a wounded buck in early season and led me to second guess myself the rest of the year. Improving this would lead to more confidence which would lead to improved accuracy.
I have some spots in mind that are going to get a hang on stand over the off season as well. I will have to find some cash to buy another one but I feel next year the early season will be more successful due to the observations i've made this year.

I would also very much like to get at least one of my kids more interested. But thats ultimately up to them.

As far as my early season goals.
I did help adam drag out and clean a deer.
I did kill my first buck. It was a button, but a buck non the less. I'll be more specific next year.
I did not harvest more than one deer though and non of my kids got one.

Well time to look forward to turkeys, mushrooms, sheds, and fishing.

How did everyone elses season pan out?

Huckleberry Finn

Dante I think you've got a good point about the early season being the most productive. October was long ass time ago, but I think that's when we as a forum had the most luck (the numbers guy can verify that!)

As for my season, I'd have to go over to my hunt journal to verify the hours, but I should have quit after my first, double doe day of the season. I admit that in the weeks between my second harvest (yearling doe) and Thanksgiving, I had second thoughts about shooting that small deer. Those thoughts were long gone by muzzleloader. I haven't shot my bow in 6 weeks now and I regret that, though. And I was a puss and didn't get back on the horse again - never did manage to climb my tree stand after my slip n fall. Could have physically but didn't have the spirits to do it.

I'm up in the air about turkey hunting this year, haven't even checked my schedule yet. If I can, I will. I'd like to put a new sight on my bow and take my shooting to the next level. Other than that, it's going to be all about gaining new access across the state border and seeing how it feels to hunt as NR.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I had a great season even though I didn't get much seat time after starting the new job. I did get my first ever bow buck (early) and I got to share that with a good hunting buddy in person as well as on here with some of the greatest guys a person could know. I also got the chance to sit in one of Greg's stands this season so both are highlights of this season and would love to repeat next fall.

As far as the off season goes, I will continue my ever vigilante scouting for the big boys and make a few slight changes to my setup. I will also be running the cams,hunting for sheds, and moving some stands around. I also hope to get out and shoot my bow more and get together with some good TOOzers for some shoots as well.

Goals for next season will be worked out here fairly soon lol.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
This season was full of highs in the beginning then low for the rest of the season. Sat. was the best day in the woods I had in a while, I had 8 or 10 come in, but skirted the ridge and all I could do was sit there and watch them run around and play till they headed out. Not one of them even came close to think about shooting. Oh well, turkey season is coming up and I pray its alot better.

I learned alot about myself and there was a couple shoulda coulda woulda, but I know next year those won't happen.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm sure everyone is tired of hearing my bitch, moan, and complain at this point; so I'll just say I'm glad it's over...

It's all good Jesse. Sometimes you just have to vent. I think I can safely speak for the majority of the guys on here when I say this: I sure hope to see you back at it next season reinvigorated! Even if at a different pace or with a different strategy. Would just hate to see you throw in the towel. I have a feeling you will not be throwing in the towel until your body will not allow you to physically go out and hunt anymore. Good luck next year!

In regards to me, I had an awesome season! Then again, I am still riding high after last night. I donated a doe to FHFH the first week of the season. I put 2 does in the freezer. I gave one to my foreman last night. I had 4 encounters with bucks I would have gladly shot. It just wasn't in the cards for me to shoot a buck this year. Sometimes you can be in the right place at the right time, and just not catch the break you need. Happened to me 4 times this year. One time with a monster at 60yds that just wouldn't commit in my direction. One time when I was halfway up my tree. One time when I had my target buck for the year at 50yds twice in the same sit. Another time on the ground at 30yds where I couldn't get a clear shot. I feel I have come a long way. I was where i needed to be 4 times on deer over 140". One of them in the 150's. This is nothing to complain about. Quite possibly the best season ever despite not killing a buck. The next closest buck i had in range was 58yds with my muzzle loader in hand. He just wasn't big enough. Wish some of the little guys that spent half the season under my stand or in range were about 3-4 years older. I swear, the only bucks I had "good" shot opportunities on were basket racks or smaller bucks. I can't remember how many of those opportunities I had. Those little guys were wondering around all sorts of stupid the whole year. lol

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Well, as sad as I am to say it, the season is over. I have said it already, but this season has been very successful despite not harvesting a buck. The wife killed her first deer ever, and it was a dandy to boot! I've got half a dozen p&y ish deer that have made it through the season, so I've got something to look forward to this fall.

This is the newest addition to the hit list, and wouldn't you know it, he was in front of the camera at 17:25 Saturday evening. Unfortunately, the wife and I had a birthday party to attend, and I had already disassembled the bow to clean it up and replace the limbs.

Also, went for a walk yesterday, and found the first shed of the year. Not sure I have pictures of this buck, but he should be a stud next year.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dang, Greg! Looks like you'll have more than a couple whoppers running around next season!

My season was nothing spectacular, but it was enjoyable as always. One doe for the year... Passed up several 1.5 and 2.5 yr old bucks... Actually I never did see a shooter buck from the stand this season, so I guess that's not the greatest thing but oh well. After acquiring permission to some new property last week, I'm really looking forward to next season.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My season had huge highs and lows, a rollercoaster actually. Missed the number one target buck on my list on he 2nd day of October! I had him dead to rights but it just wasn't meant to be I guess. Hope he made it thru the season so's I can go after him again. I had some great encounters and only got skunked a few times but for the first time in my hunting career I can say I saw no grunting or chasing action. Hard to believe that one!

The deer Gods smiled down on me on Nov. 14th when on my 3rd encounter with my #2 target buck I managed to make a clean and quick killing shot on him by severing an artery. I got to meet Jesse at our deer camp back in my hometown hunting area and hang out with my bro and buddies. It was great a few of my buds got some nice bucks this year as well.

Didn't get to spend much time hunting as I would have liked during the late season due to being under the weather and work but have plenty of venison anyway. Wife didn't mind it either. Lol

Greg, you have some real nice bucks there and that is a great looking shed! Congrats!! Is that shed from a buck you were hunting or have any pics of?