Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wv buck made it through again.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Father in Law just checked his cam yesterday. Found out this buck made it again. It completely amazes me how these bucks doit. Especially after 3 months of bow, 2 weeks of rifle, 1 week of muzzle and 24/7 365 Poaching season...ohh and a 3 buck limit.

This buck completely defies all the odds against him. A true trophy.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
I just dont understand where he goes..All the properties are hunted hard along with a serious poaching problem. We talked about this buck and what had happened to him. We pretty much figured he was poached...and then he shows up Jan 2nd. Unreal.

Does he look healthy to you guys?..His neck looks awfully thin.

RUT NUT

He looks healthy to me. I think his neck looks so skinny because of the way he has all of his weight on his front right leg....which makes his shoulder bone stick out. He's got a pot belly on him!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
He looks fine to me, prolly just didn't rub many trees this year and with being another year older he's putting surviving a bit higher on his priorities list. With the history you and your FIL have with him, how old do you guys think he is?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Looks healthy to me. I will say this about WV deer, after walking and rewalking our pipeline route in Wetzel County, there are some damn fine deer over there. If the DNR and the culture didn't have such a damning effect on the deer herd, there would be some great deer killed over there routinely.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The three buck limit is suicide when it comes to establishing an age structure for the buck population that exceeds 1.5 let alone 3.5!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The three buck limit is suicide when it comes to establishing an age structure for the buck population that exceeds 1.5 let alone 3.5!

No doubt about it. Add in the mentality of "having to fill all your buck tags" and it is a recipe for disaster. We have a 2,200 acre lease up there that is one contiguous tract of land. There was a 178" buck killed off the back side of that lease this fall right in a guys back yard. Our pipeline route goes right through there and I have no doubts I was walking through this bucks territory and he had what he needed to get to that size. Many more like him could do the same with some love from the DNR and the locals...

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
He is 3.5 years of age...At least that's what we think. :)

Here he is in 2010'....Im thinking he is 2.5 at this point.. It appears his growth is only in mass measurements...tines/spread looks to be the same. Notice what Time it is..Stay in your stand all day..gentlemen. :)

Last edited: