Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

YMutiple climbing sticks AND you

Guys that use climbing stick sets(multiples) LW,muddy,leverage,gorilla,summit etc etc..If you could do me a favor tell me
Your height
Hunting height
length of stick per
length of stick spacing between each

Im think ing getting rid of my new climber an going to a light hang on an sticks..But I am unsure what will get me where height wise an how..
Thanks for posting

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I am 6' 1" and most of my climbing sticks are 20' I prefer to hunt 20-28' off the ground to use the wind as much as possible. I believe my movement is not so noticeable also. Several buddies go with 16-18' and have good success.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Thanks Greg!! Sounds like maybe 4 sticks is what I am going to need ... Do you start the 1st stick farther off the ground then your stick gap further up(if that makes sense)?

I have a method for hanging sticks that gets me a consistent height. I set the first stick around 12-18" off the ground depending on the tree trunk size and the pitch of the ground. Once I get up the first stick, I stand straight legged off the middle step and set the versa button on the next stick even with my mouth. This gets me evenly spaced sticks with a gap between them that my legs can handle. You just have to mess with that height and see what you can handle. O have had people climb my setup and struggle getting up them because of the gap, but others that are fine with it.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I own five LW sticks and often find myself just using four as I can get about 22 feet to the platform in early season. Around 20 in late season due to extra clothes. Late season is where I use the 5th stick to get higher due to less vegetation.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
OMO, your clothing will more than likely also be restrictive.. with 3 sticks i can get about 14 feet. i put the first stick about the center of my chest with the button and then after the first step i am usually more reasonable with my step spacing. no need to push it and get a good climbing belt.

Good call on the clothing...Im sure it will limit me..Right now with my climber I wear base an mid in an pack my harness parka,bibs,ASAT leafy,hat gloves an other do dads.I put my bibs,leafy bottom an harness before i climb..An put the rest on at the top..My harness an teather rope are good but i do need a GREAT linemans belt..Is the HSS belt fine..Or is there a better one?Rope style maybe?

Side note::My climber weighs 23LB an with my loaded pack its 42LB:smiley_depressive: I couldn't believe that shit

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Good call on the clothing...Im sure it will limit me..Right now with my climber I wear base an mid in an pack my harness parka,bibs,ASAT leafy,hat gloves an other do dads.I put my bibs,leafy bottom an harness before i climb..An put the rest on at the top..My harness an teather rope are good but i do need a GREAT linemans belt..Is the HSS belt fine..Or is there a better one?Rope style maybe?

Side note::My climber weighs 23LB an with my loaded pack its 42LB:smiley_depressive: I couldn't believe that shit
your pack needs a diet...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm still very green with the LW sticks, so I'd rather not give you any advice on them, as I really don't have any as of yet. However, after this season, I am really planning on eliminating my large backpack alltogether. It's amazing how fast the weight adds up with all the little shit that gets put in it... What's even more amazing, is the fact that I rarely use any of said 'little shit'. I've come to the conclusion that, unless I'm hunting where I might get lost, I only need a few things with me... my tags, my knife, my pull ropes, my binoculars, and maybe a grunt call... none of these items require that I bring an entire backpack. My Millennium stand with 5 LW sticks attached, coupled with the gameplan gear TTS, is actually fairly light on my back considering what the setup is capable of... But as soon as I attach my backpack, it's a load.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'm still very green with the LW sticks, so I'd rather not give you any advice on them, as I really don't have any as of yet. However, after this season, I am really planning on eliminating my large backpack alltogether. It's amazing how fast the weight adds up with all the little shit that gets put in it... What's even more amazing, is the fact that I rarely use any of said 'little shit'. I've come to the conclusion that, unless I'm hunting where I might get lost, I only need a few things with me... my tags, my knife, my pull ropes, my binoculars, and maybe a grunt call... none of these items require that I bring an entire backpack. My Millennium stand with 5 LW sticks attached, coupled with the gameplan gear TTS, is actually fairly light on my back considering what the setup is capable of... But as soon as I attach my backpack, it's a load.

It's because the backpack sticks out. The sticks and stand is like 28 pounds. But it's flat and close to your center of gravity. Add a 5 pound pack on the back of it and it feels like 20. I ditched my pack this year and just carry what I need in pockets. TONS better!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Guess I have never measured. I am 6' and the the number of sticks I use depends on what tree options I have available. The less cover, the more sticks and the higher I go. I have one fixed stand which I don't use the sticks on that is probably only 12-14' off the ground. I would guess I am more concealed in this setup than 25' up in some others.

Height per stick Flutey mentioned is probably pretty dang close. Maybe a longer legged feller can stretch an extra 2-3' out of 5 sticks, but this might depend on the tree as well. Sometimes the tree gives you a natural step in the form of a 10-12" limb which enables you to space them a bit further.

Huckleberry Finn

Height per stick Flutey mentioned is probably pretty dang close. Maybe a longer legged feller can stretch an extra 2-3' out of 5 sticks, but this might depend on the tree as well. Sometimes the tree gives you a natural step in the form of a 10-12" limb which enables you to space them a bit further.

Not sure getting a little bit higher is worth using a limb as a step...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not sure getting a little bit higher is worth using a limb as a step...

All depends what kind of limb it is. One year, I had a stand out at Pickerel Creek WA that was pushin' 40' above the ground... it was in a thick-limbed pin oak... I had a 6' step ladder to get me started and the other 34' was all tree limbs.

Obviously though, if the limb strength is questionable in the least bit, fugg it... It's not worth falling.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
All depends what kind of limb it is. One year, I had a stand out at Pickerel Creek WA that was pushin' 40' above the ground... it was in a thick-limbed pin oak... I had a 6' step ladder to get me started and the other 34' was all tree limbs.

Obviously though, if the limb strength is questionable in the least bit, fugg it... It's not worth falling.

Holly Moses Jim..... Thats's insane..... 25 is about the highest I ever got with a climber back in the day.... And that was nerve racking at first after a few hunts I got use too it but man I can't imagine 40' especially on a windy day.....

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Holly Moses Jim..... Thats's insane..... 25 is about the highest I ever got with a climber back in the day.... And that was nerve racking at first after a few hunts I got use too it but man I can't imagine 40' especially on a windy day.....

Lol... I'm not shittin' you... 40' is a conservative estimate, too. This tree was way out in the middle of what I call a "wet meadow." I was in a tiny thicket of trees, centered in about 20 acres of head-high phragmites, reed canary grass, and dogwoods. Getting up that high was my only chance to see deer out in it. I bowhunted it once, and had a doe come in underneath me but the angle was way too steep to take a shot. It was more of a gun stand... a sniper tower if you will.