Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Gun questiosn from a friend

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
An acquaintance of mine recently lost her husband and she wants to get into a hand gun. Can you guys answer her questions?

Background is that I am trying to learn to shoot a handgun, leaning towards buying the Glock 19 9m or a Ruger LC9, but also still considering the 22 because I have fired that caliber and the ammo seems cheaper if I intend to target shoot a lot - which I do. I want it for protection and have some fun shooting. Also my girls want to learn to shoot.

saddlepants

central Ohio
22 wont stop em fast enough but good for practice and cheap. I carry 38 sp but some kind of Auto is flatter and easier for CCW. I wouldnt trust being able to stop a perp with a 22 before he gets to you.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
She needs to decide what she wants this gun for, is this for a CCW or a house gun? For CCWs I really like revolvers for people that have limited experience with guns. A DA revolver is just so simple and safe.

If a house gun have her get a 20 gauge pump. If she wants to shoot for fun she can buy a 20 ga pump and a cheap .22 rifle for fun for about the price of the pistols she's looking at. If she is determined to have a pistol for a house gun she should get a larger pistol(frame not caliber) for the target/plinking.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
9MM would be fairly cheap too shoot.... .380 is a little pricey on the rounds but has a lot of models in the conceal carry line...... Compact and light recoil...... I've seen .380 rounds a box of 250 for around $80.00/90.00

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sounds like it was covered well. 22 pistol or rifle for target shooting would be a great idea. Protection piece will depend on if it will be for home defense or carry. I agree.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
She needs to decide what she wants this gun for, is this for a CCW or a house gun? For CCWs I really like revolvers for people that have limited experience with guns. A DA revolver is just so simple and safe.

If a house gun have her get a 20 gauge pump. If she wants to shoot for fun she can buy a 20 ga pump and a cheap .22 rifle for fun for about the price of the pistols she's looking at. If she is determined to have a pistol for a house gun she should get a larger pistol(frame not caliber) for the target/plinking.

Yep. Lol

If she is going to practice then I like J's thoughts also. 9mm is cheap, easy to shoot and has good defensive properties with a good JHP.

For home protection a 20 gauge pump with low recoil rounds is hard to beat for a female not looking to practice a lot.