Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Friday Rabbit hunt

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Took the recurve out today to try and bust some wabbits with my buddy zak... Walked alot of briar patches and jumped on a few brush piles too. Saw 1 rabbit and couldnt fling an arrow at it. Just got home for some soup and going out again alone. Spots and places are limited, no public land for me yet. I need to be 16 dang it!!!!

Hunter, we're trying to get a TOO rabbit hunt down your way.... See if you can get the old man too bring you up/over it should be around the 11th of Feb timeframe..... If you're Dad can do it tell him to PM me and we'll discuss it.....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sounds fun, but it is a long haul for me. Schedule has been a blur and with kids activities picking up and snow always a possibility it is tough for me to get away. Wish we were closer.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Works for me J. Probably be done with church stuff by noon. Then just hanging around the house working on hanging drywall.

bluedog

Well, the cold and the wind or the little amount of snow we had couldn't deter a few crazy rabbit hunters..... Sam, CJ and I went out rabbit hunting all day well most of it at least :smiley_clap: We started around 0900 and finished up around 3:30 had a few runs with one going straight to a hole and another falling too the 28 gauge toting Sam..... :smiley_coolpeace: We hit the first property and had a short run that apparently the rabbit was thinking WTH are these crazy bastards doing here today :smiley_clap: It ran in front of me with Sam about 10 yards away it stopped looked up at me and retreated and ran around me straight too the safety (and warmth) of a hole :smiley_blackeye: Probably should of shot the little peckerwood but figured I'd get him on the second go around lol..... NOT...... We did a big loop around the property that was a mixture of pine trees and treeline thickets.... It also had two ponds with pine boardering it from the west..... The wind was howling in the open areas and on the west side of the property until you got into the pines.... Seems like most of the bunnies didn't want to come out too play..... Go figure lol..... The dogs got on trail of one either Sam or myself put out, and brought it around too Sams 28 gauge pump..... He made a good shot on it ( Sam I won't tell him the second shot was better then the first :smiley_clap:) well he got it and the dogs struggled with it a litlle and finally caught up to it on the ground in front of us.... That was the highlight of the action for the day un be known too us lol.....
Went for a lunch break around noon and had a sandwich and I had coffee that really hit the spot (Thanks Sam for treating us too lunch) I wish the weather would of cooperated a little bit better for the hunt since CJ had driven all the way down from the snow belt of Ashtabula, but it wasn't a total waste lol.... We had a good time even though the weather wasn't the best and had lots of good conversations and am really looking forward to the next rabbit hunt with them and hopefully its sooner than later.....
Again CJ it was good spending the day with you my friend and Sam as always it was good too get out in the field with you again..... Hope too do it again real soon......

Oh and for the record three of the 5 gauges were accounted for today, 28, 20, .410 2 pumps and an O/U ....... Sorry but no pictures were taken due to the risk of frostbite if you showed bare skin rotflmao

I think I am addicted to stories of bunny hunting. That was a good one. Thanks for a good read!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Great to hear from Blue Dog!
Took most of the evening for my ears to stop burning that day but it was worth it to get out with such fine company. (and good dogs!)

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Great to hear from Blue Dog!
Took most of the evening for my ears to stop burning that day but it was worth it to get out with such fine company. (and good dogs!)

We'll have to do a NE Ohio rabbit hunt CJ we'll have to see if bluedog will bring her beagles out to play.... that is if the snow isn't waist deep lol....

bluedog

Hey Bluedog..... how've you been???? Been getting those beagles out much????

Although I must admit this was down at my in-laws farm in Washington County. Wish I had that good of a spot up here. Been getting the dogs out every weekend though and have shot a few bunnies at my farm. I often don't take a gun and just let the dogs run them. Since we are not covered in rabbits up here, I set a limit for how many I will shoot at my place.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Your dogs remind me of my Grandfathers, from many years ago. A warm memory. Thanks for the pict.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina

Although I must admit this was down at my in-laws farm in Washington County. Wish I had that good of a spot up here. Been getting the dogs out every weekend though and have shot a few bunnies at my farm. I often don't take a gun and just let the dogs run them. Since we are not covered in rabbits up here, I set a limit for how many I will shoot at my place.

Bluedog, Good too see you making it out..... I've been letting more go by then pulling the trigger on these days just enjoying hte dogs working the trails...... Nice limit you guys had that day, I bet the dogs slept well that night lol.....