Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Friday Rabbit hunt

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Me more thing, if I can get us a solid hunt here we could all come back to my place after an hang in my bar/man cave for the evening for whoever would want to toss a few beers back.

I'll have to find a DD or just stick with the BS'ng :smiley_crocodile:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
For anyone that has not had the pleasure of bunny hunting with good company over a dog or two, your missing out. Its not like deer where you have to be quiet, not move or worry about the wind. You only get quiet when the bunny turns back (most run a circle or 2 from around where they were jumped... unless they make it back to the hole) 75% of the time is spent talking, telling stories or trying to solve the current problems of the day. For me yesterday, it was a time to leave problems at home and do something I love to do and think of better days.
Many of us started afield tagging along with an adult or carrying a old family single shot. Learning a rabbit track from a tree rat, Jumping on brush piles and listening to the adults tell stories...My grandfather bought that gun in the mid 30's for $57.00 new. The bluing is worn thin at the perfect balance point where he carried it for over 50 years and it has harvested everything you can hunt in Ohio, from deer with the ol pumpkin ball slugs to bunnies and crows.
As cold as it was yesterday, I was still warmed by the fond memories of better days, hunting bunnies with my Grandfather and Brother.

Thanks again J and Sam.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I am just north of Paint Creek WA, Greenfield. Between Washington Court House and Hillsboro. Speaking of Springfield, I would suggest crashing at Joe's house. I suspect its been mostly empty since he's found a warm wet spot to sleep...hehe.

Yeah, drink his beer eat his food and break a few chairs is how the story goes right????? rotflmao

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
For anyone that has not had the pleasure of bunny hunting with good company over a dog or two, your missing out. Its not like deer where you have to be quiet, not move or worry about the wind. You only get quiet when the bunny turns back (most run a circle or 2 from around where they were jumped... unless they make it back to the hole) 75% of the time is spent talking, telling stories or trying to solve the current problems of the day. For me yesterday, it was a time to leave problems at home and do something I love to do and think of better days.
Many of us started afield tagging along with an adult or carrying a old family single shot. Learning a rabbit track from a tree rat, Jumping on brush piles and listening to the adults tell stories...My grandfather bought that gun in the mid 30's for $57.00 new. The bluing is worn thin at the perfect balance point where he carried it for over 50 years and it has harvested everything you can hunt in Ohio, from deer with the ol pumpkin ball slugs to bunnies and crows.
As cold as it was yesterday, I was still warmed by the fond memories of better days, hunting bunnies with my Grandfather and Brother.

Thanks again J and Sam.

Anytime buddy, anytime........

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Good plan, J!

CJD, I've been toting an old Ithacca featherlight around this season. It belonged to an old guy that took me hunting and fishing when I was a kid. He passed away last January, and his daughter brought that gun, and a longtom he turkey hunted with to me. He had spent the last 25 years or so living on Lake Seminole, catching largemouth and huge crappie. He hadn't hunted in all that time. He had a huge collection of really nice guns, more browning sweet 16s than you could shake a stick at, but he knew I liked those two guns the best...they were the two he always hunted with. Old guns carry a lot of good memories with them.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Good plan, J!

CJD, I've been toting an old Ithacca featherlight around this season. It belonged to an old guy that took me hunting and fishing when I was a kid. He passed away last January, and his daughter brought that gun, and a longtom he turkey hunted with to me. He had spent the last 25 years or so living on Lake Seminole, catching largemouth and huge crappie. He hadn't hunted in all that time. He had a huge collection of really nice guns, more browning sweet 16s than you could shake a stick at, but he knew I liked those two guns the best...they were the two he always hunted with. Old guns carry a lot of good memories with them.

Cool story Brock.... If we go I may forgo the .410 and break out my Grandads old model 12, 16ga. Or just bring them both lol.....

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
J, you could always just crash here. I have plenty of room. Now, If I onlyhad a honey hole to hunt. If I were to try to get all of you here I don't want it to be a bust in the bunny department.
We have a farm we hunt once in awhile. it used to be fantastic, but the owner destroyed alot of the cover creating more pasture. I'm sure there's still rabbits there, but not as much to hunt.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
J, you could always just crash here. I have plenty of room. Now, If I onlyhad a honey hole to hunt. If I were to try to get all of you here I don't want it to be a bust in the bunny department.
We have a farm we hunt once in awhile. it used to be fantastic, but the owner destroyed alot of the cover creating more pasture. I'm sure there's still rabbits there, but not as much to hunt.

How' the weekend of the 28th looking for you?????

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
How' the weekend of the 28th looking for you?????

Looks all clear. We could even swing up your way if needed.
Whatever we do we need to get Jesse and Huck involved since they've expressed serious interest. Of course, anyone else who wants to join... the more the merrier.
Brock, Sam, and CJD may be a little far from Jefferson County. If they wanna go and meeting up your way is needed that is fine with me. I think if CJD goes we need to drag his bro off the rig!

The only thing that may mess us up would be the weather. Hopefully it cooperates.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Sam's 7 miles from me, and I'm probably an hour from you Huck and Jesse are further south I'm thinking 2-3 hours away? That weekend is open for me so I'd make the trip down and maybe Fred can come over as well.... he's on my meet list as well as you and Jesse and Redcloud.... Huck I've met a few times and still would hunt with him hahaha but there's a lot of people on the meet list.... I'm definitely interested in heading Brock's way as well plus a buddy of mine lives down that way.....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well Mike you're centrally located for Jesse and Sam and I..... Fred isn't too far from you either is he????

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
It gives us over a week too work it out.... I'm working the 21/22 so I wouldn't be open till the 28th, I work the first weekend in February as well.....

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I will check with the boss J, but the weekend of the 11 should be good for me down here. We just went across the road. Dogs found one, Mason killed it. I took pics and will post in another thread directly.

hunna771

Took the recurve out today to try and bust some wabbits with my buddy zak... Walked alot of briar patches and jumped on a few brush piles too. Saw 1 rabbit and couldnt fling an arrow at it. Just got home for some soup and going out again alone. Spots and places are limited, no public land for me yet. I need to be 16 dang it!!!!

Huckleberry Finn

28th works for me, as far as I know. This is a stupid question, but can someone cover me with a gun for the hunt? Won't be able to bring one from where I'm coming from... and please no one's grandfather's gun.