Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pathetic...

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
The remoteness assures me of his existence... the long sits for his random and unpredictable nature and the logical spot makes our acquaintance.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Jesse, Your not done..... It's in your Blood like the rest of us. (Just my opinion) I would like to Thank Everyone on this thread for the learning and the laughs. This has made me realise that I need to put my training wheels back on. I TOO ran 9 cameras this year and chasing pictures became a habit. It was getting very frustrating trying to get Diane and ZJ a good buck. Only to see Diane's Buck get pushed out and killed by a tresspasser. It was taking the fun out of it and I was so involved, I didn't see it. I was even told that I was taking the fun out of it, but I was so "wrapped-up", I thought I knew what I was doing. Now that I look back: IMO the cameras are handy to know what you have and a little bit about their behavior patterns....But that is it. I see where I need to go back to the basics: Deer Sign In The Woods, Terrain, Wind, Weather And The Deers Needs. There is an old saying that holds so true to all this "When you think you know it all.......You're Done!" and "If you don't like what you're getting, quit doing it that way" Jesse, only you know best about your situation......Hopefully all this help you just gave me can help you TOO! I am sitting here laughing about it now.......I'm thinking.... "What The Hell Do I Know About Predicting An Unpredictable Animal?" Thanks Again to Everyone of You.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
I can see how frustrating it could be to put so much energy, time and dedication into something and not get the results. Back in the early 1990's ..i too experimented with food plots. I learned quickly that the energy, time, hard work, and money i invested wasnt paying off. There were so many factors that i couldnt control regarding this food plot. Factors like: Being over-hunted by other hunters, Nocturnal bucks, Tresspassers, Poachers, Overgrazing, drought..et etc. There are so many outside factors you(jesse) cant control that effect your outcome. If you could control all the factors i mentioned , then i would say your hard work with food plots could pay off.

Dont get discouraged..Just learn, adjust and move on. I told myself years ago that if i want to get away from all the factors that could effect my quality of hunting..I need to hunt where people just dont want to go...Since ive adopted this policy, my quality of hunting has increased dramitcally. Now..All my effort goes into long hikes and long sits.

Last edited:

mrex

*Supporting member*
I can see how frustrating it could be to put so much energy, time and dedication into something and not get the results. Back in the early 1990's ..i too experimented with food plots. I learned quickly that the energy, time, hard work, and money i invested wasnt paying off. There were so many factors that i couldnt control regarding this food plot. Factors like: Being over-hunted by other hunters, Nocturnal bucks, Tresspassers, Poachers, Overgrazing, drought..et etc. There are so many outside factors you(jesse) cant control that effect your outcome. If you could control all the factors i mentioned , then i would say your hard work with food plots could pay off.

Dont get discouraged..Just learn, adjust and move on. I told myself years ago that if i want to get away from all the factors that could effect my quality of hunting..I need to hunt where people just dont want to go...Since ive adopted this policy, my quality of hunting has increased dramitcally. Now..All my effort goes into long hikes and long sits.

I've got bad news for you Paul, a lot of hunters are following your advice and Ohio doesn't have enough "big" country for this to be sustainable.

In the past 20 years, there's been a dramatic shift of the hunting pressure in the unglaciated hills of Ohio. Back in the day, flat landers from western and northwestern Ohio used to flock to these hills to gun hunt because they didn't have huntable populations at home. Now that they have a few deer, (except Fayette Co of course, where the motorists kill more than the hunters), they're staying home. They've been replaced by non resident bowhunters...and these NR bowhunters are a lot more dedicated than the gun hunting flat landers that used to hunt here.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. This year, I leased a small piece of private ground that's surrounded by public hunting. My thinking was, even though other hunters could crowd me, they wouldn't because getting close to me would be a 40 minute walk through rough terrain...I thought wrong. In the late summer/ early fall, I set a trail cam up over this watering hole on my lease. In 1 week, I got photos of 5 different 2.5 year old bucks, two 3.5 year olds and 1 pic of this large frame mature buck that was apparently just passing through.

Over the next 2 months, 6 of the 8 bucks I got photos of were killed by non resident bowhunters...and that's just what I could physically verify, they may have got them all.

People who travel to hunt tend to make better use of their time while hunting away from home and are usually willing to go the extra mile because in general, they're more serious about it and their time is limited. I agree that big bucks are where hunters are not…and IMO, that may be a lot closer to the road than you would think.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Mike,

These hunters on the public are simply doing the same thing im doing. It kinda proves my point that one doesnt need to spend lots of money leasing. Im not saying its bad because there are 1000's of success stories on lease hunts. I have buddies that are leasing land around cambridge OH and there are taking giant bucks but when they dont they complain about all the money they spend with no results. Im just saying to a hunter there are options. If a hunter has the stamina to get back in, he can acheive success without all the let downs that comes with leasing..etc etc. High expectations is the culprit for huge letdowns as in jesse's case and even in your case. Get rid of the high expectations and there will be no big letdowns.

Shoulder Blade

Sorry this is my first post and wouldn't be shocked if it was my last.

Outsider's opinion: You bought into the hype that whitetail hunting has become and you need to identify all the crap, eliminate it, and focus on the rest. I was once like you, realized it, and changed.

In several instances you refer to hunting both in terms of a career and/or a hobby. You need to decide which one it is and approach it accordingly. It is true a hobby can turn into a career, but typically only after one has enjoyed some level of success. I think you should relax and treat it as a hobby.

In my opinion you are now realizing that you are no better than anyone else here. The prostaff position, the camera pimping, the "lemonade stand" outfitter service, the "Jack London" type hunting stories are sorta laughable and are getting in the way of you having fun. Im sure you are a nice guy, and don't get me wrong it is nice to dream but just make sure u are wearing a parachute when u come back to earth. I used to get pissed every time i didn't win the lottery.

There are guys here that are more likely to be successful at this game than you or I yet u don't see them doing half the stuff u do. Ask yourself why and you will have your answer. That is the difference between you and the others.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
In my opinion you are now realizing that you are no better than anyone else here. The prostaff position, the camera pimping, the "lemonade stand" outfitter service, the "Jack London" type hunting stories are sorta laughable and are getting in the way of you having fun.

First off, I never thought I was better than anyone so I'm not sure where you get off making that statement. Secondly, calling my efforts to provide new hunting experiences for close friends/family while creating great memories (stories) "laughable" is pretty damn brazen. I hope it is your last post if that's the attitude your gonna bring to this website with your first post...

Shoulder Blade

I qualified my response as an outsider's perspective. if im off base that is my mistake. not intended on pissing u off, rather to make u think i guess.

I also do not have a problem with you creating memories with family and friends, who would? I am saying combined it is taking a toll on you. You are trying to do too much. you have to choose what u want to do more. i have seen how happy u were to have a friend be successful, but then get down on your lack of. what means more to you?

I would imagine it doesn't help seeing the level of success displayed by some on this board.

anyways i hope something i said will help you. i would just get back to the basics.

Shoulder Blade

I qualified my response as an outsider's perspective. if im off base that is my mistake. not intended on pissing u off, rather to make u think i guess.

I also do not have a problem with you creating memories with family and friends, who would? I am saying combined it is taking a toll on you. You are trying to do too much. you have to choose what u want to do more. i have seen how happy u were to have a friend be successful, but then get down on your lack of. what means more to you?

I would imagine it doesn't help seeing the level of success displayed by some on this board.

anyways i hope something i said will help you. i would just get back to the basics.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Jesse is the most unselfish and down to Earth guy I know. He's not putting all these efforts in just for himself. He is also not worried about if someone else shoots a big buck and he doesn't. He is always one of the first to congratulate a successful hunter and put in kind words. Assuming he's jealous of anyone is way off base.

He brings guys in he hardly knows and tries to put them on quality deer. Why does he put in the time to do food plots and scout? Because its a passion most of us share. My hat goes off to guys like him. In fact, I try to copy his efforts. Dont try to judge a guy you don't know.

By the way, he has the wall to back up the fact that he's a great hunter. He just doesn't brag about it.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Jesse is great dude that just had a bad season. Just needs to take a break and hit it hard when he's ready. No doubt he'll kill a monster someday, just didn't happen this season......yet. Just needs to dump the pressure and have fun.

Shoulder Blade

Jesse is great dude that just had a bad season. Just needs to take a break and hit it hard when he's ready. No doubt he'll kill a monster someday, just didn't happen this season......yet. Just needs to dump the pressure and have fun.

I dont doubt it, I have been a reader of his posts for a few years. I just took his post literally and was trying to tell him that he is spreading himself too thin. In my opinion he needs to figure out what really matters and focus on that, or hit all aspects harder and be prepared for the tough mental times. It comes with the territory often times.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I dont doubt it, I have been a reader of his posts for a few years. I just took his post literally and was trying to tell him that he is spreading himself too thin. In my opinion he needs to figure out what really matters and focus on that, or hit all aspects harder and be prepared for the tough mental times. It comes with the territory often times.

In all reality, there is probably some truth in this. Some of the factors that have probably hurt him somewhat over the years is the fact he has been very generous with putting other guys onto deer. He has always bent over backwards to make sure everyone is having a good time and does his best to put them on deer. Nothing you can fault a guy for, but the extra intrusions and human traffic probably doesn't help. He has found some real big boys, just has been a step away from sealing the deal repeatedly. I can see where someone is going to get frustrated by "almost" getting the big boy year after year.

Maybe "spreading too thin" isn't the exact right phrasing, but spreading too generous might be.

Huckleberry Finn

Glad to know that giving a college kid his first dozen arrows, having someone who hasn't had much luck deer hunting coming down and harvesting a deer, not to mention the hospitality of good food and drink, encouraging calls and texts, advice offered...etc etc are laughable. What the hell...

Kaiser878

ohio
Glad to know that giving a college kid his first dozen arrows, having someone who hasn't had much luck deer hunting coming down and harvesting a deer, not to mention the hospitality of good food and drink, encouraging calls and texts, advice offered...etc etc are laughable. What the hell...

Steve, I dont think he is at all saying any of the good deeds or services jessie has done are wrong. He obviosuly realizes that jessie is trying to help out other hunters/friends. He is just trying to state a point that is pretty obvious...THat being, allowing a ton of other people come in and hunt your property is generous and admirable...but is obviously taking a toll on his personal deer hunting. Its general knowledge, the more human intrusion you have the more your deer sightings are gonig to go down....especially of mature deer.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
You guys act like it was a fucking circus out there. Sure there was more than one guy there on occasion, but I do a good job of spreading things out to minimize the impact. I also know that it doesn't help my personal quests, but that's part of not being selfish...

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
You guys act like it was a fucking circus out there. Sure there was more than one guy there on occasion, but I do a good job of spreading things out to minimize the impact. I also know that it doesn't help my personal quests, but that's part of not being selfish...

Jesse,

I once heard that the most elite professional athletes are very selfish people. Think about it....to rise to the top in your sport you have to put yourself ahead of everybody else. This in fact is true to a point in bowhunting trophy deer.

I commend you for helping others out in the past, but might recommend you shift your gears a little bit next season and put yourself first and foremost for 1 year and see what happens.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
There ya go, Jesse. Be selfish to kill a big one. Or, continue doing what you enjoy and realize you just do this thing for fun. Up to you.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
There ya go, Jesse. Be selfish to kill a big one. Or, continue doing what you enjoy and realize you just do this thing for fun. Up to you.

Not a person on here would think any less of you if you did this man. I find it unreal the generosity you have with your grounds. It is very admirable. I wish I had taken you up on the offers in the past. Timing just never worked out. I honestly don't want to now unless we are coyote hunting. I want to see YOU tag a big buck deerz no matter what. Ironically, this thread started out with frustration about your season, and other than our first time poster, has been nothing but support rallying around you. I am sure some of it churns at you a bit, but I don't know that anyone on here typed anything without being sincere in wanting you to succeed.