Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pathetic...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Make no mistake about it, this season was just the straw that broke the camels back and not the sole reason I feel this way. I have long forgotten how to casually hunt. What I've come to know is balls to the wall and it has created my own demise. How many times can I fail to achieve a goal before I decide its best to just not set that goal? Deuce in 2007 and 2008. Hook in 2009. Hook Jr. and Crazy Rack in 2010. Moe in 2011. I'm tired of building stories only to leave them 3/4 finished. I'm tired of having to hunt my ass off just to kill a doe when I can just kill a couple with a gun and be done. At this rate, I'll kill a big buck or two with luck and a gun, but it doesn't seem I'll ever do it with a bow. I was a diehard and it died hard...

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Well if that's all you have to worry about in life then you are doing good bud......

I have a feeling you will be right back in the seat next year. It's easy to get discouraged, but it is a lot easier to get encouraged. Next season is a new one, maybe you should set up a week during the rut and hunt somewhere else next year, just a thought.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I am considering my options to take a week off and head somewhere new. I don't believe for a second I'm done forever, but I do feel a year off might do me some good. Either I'll miss it and want to get back in it or I'll realize I don't miss it. If I don't miss it, then I eliminated one more demon from my life and that's always good...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am considering my options to take a week off and head somewhere new. I don't believe for a second I'm done forever, but I do feel a year off might do me some good. Either I'll miss it and want to get back in it or I'll realize I don't miss it. If I don't miss it, then I eliminated one more demon from my life and that's always good...

I'm about 90% sure I'm going to North Dakota the second week of November to kill ducks.... might have an open spot if you're interested. It'll be the first time in 9 years that I miss a trip to SE Ohio, but from what I've seen it will be worth it.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio

Is the farm in the Athens area with the booner running on it still an option? I know the drive might be a bitch but the end result could be huge, even you shot one of the other shooters running around there. Hang tough Jesse, maybe a change in scenery is just the ticket.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Maybe we should quit coddling Jesse and telling him "it is okay. Things will get better." Maybe you need some "tough love"? You know we could dish out some tough love to you. lmao

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Maybe we should quit coddling Jesse and telling him "it is okay. Things will get better." Maybe you need some "tough love"? You know we could dish out some tough love to you. lmao

I really don't give a shit what you dish out Phil. I don't need coddled and that's not what I'm looking for. I'm simply blowing steam and expressing my frustrations. That's all...

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Fuck you Jesse... you ain't quittin'. Enough of this silly talk. We've all gone through spells like you are experiencing. I had a nice streak of 8 years once without killing a buck. The streak, in regard to a bow, was 13. I went from 1991 to 2004 between bow kill bucks. Like you, I could've killed small bucks, but I'm talking wall hangers or at least something worth putting on a plaque. 13 years!!! Zippo!!!

You had a rough year. Many of us did except for one day that all of a sudden the friggin planets aligned or some shit and a miracle happened. Who knows if, myself for example, that one day didn't happen if I would've ever had the release on the string. I didn't before that day, I know that.

Do you need Milo to hit you in the balls with a hammer? Put this season behind you. If some shitty weather hits, get to feedin', and then assess the situation. Maybe you will nail a late season target buck. Take a break for awhile and in a week or two (however long it takes) go have a seat with some snow on the ground. If that don't work, I'll see you in a tree in late September. The fire will be relit again.

Breathe man!!!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Fuck you Jesse... you ain't quittin'. Enough of this silly talk. We've all gone through spells like you are experiencing. I had a nice streak of 8 years once without killing a buck. The streak, in regard to a bow, was 13. I went from 1991 to 2004 between bow kill bucks. Like you, I could've killed small bucks, but I'm talking wall hangers or at least something worth putting on a plaque. 13 years!!! Zippo!!!

You had a rough year. Many of us did except for one day that all of a sudden the friggin planets aligned or some shit and a miracle happened. Who knows if, myself for example, that one day didn't happen if I would've ever had the release on the string. I didn't before that day, I know that.

Do you need Milo to hit you in the balls with a hammer? Put this season behind you. If some shitty weather hits, get to feedin', and then assess the situation. Maybe you will nail a late season target buck. Take a break for awhile and in a week or two (however long it takes) go have a seat with some snow on the ground. If that don't work, I'll see you in a tree in late September. The fire will be relit again.

Breathe man!!!

:smiley_clap:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Just imagine if you never put the catchers gear on again... Your life would feel empty.

Now stand up straight soldier and get ready to smoke up after this cold snap belts through!
i think i'm gonna hang a new set tomorrow...its gonna be a good week

epe

Lancaster
Try and tone it down some if you can..If you put that much pressure on yourself to succeed it can suck... All hunting can be that way.. Wait until you get up early, lug 150 geese decoys out into the field 2 hours before shooting time, set em up, freeze all morning, then have the birds commit, then skirt your spread at the very end because they didn't like something...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Try and tone it down some if you can..If you put that much pressure on yourself to succeed it can suck... All hunting can be that way.. Wait until you get up early, lug 150 geese decoys out into the field 2 hours before shooting time, set em up, freeze all morning, then have the birds commit, then skirt your spread at the very end because they didn't like something...

Or worse... the geese don't even show up at all. lmao

I've threatened giving up waterfowling in Ohio more times than I can county... shitty hunt after shitty hunt. But I just can't do it. Each year I keep coming back for more punishment. I have muddy swamp water in my veins.