Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Trumbull co fatal hunting accident

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
didnt i read the brother called 45 minets after it hapened? mabey thats why he didnt have hunter orange on . im thinking 45 minets mabey someone screwed with the crime seen , or mabey im jumping to conclusions . sure seems fishy to me .

How was that worded? The guy called and said his had shot another person or the guy called and said his brother had been shot?

Huckleberry Finn

I'm still sick to my stomach reading this.

My last post on that site, directed to him...

That should help you keep your shirt off your head and shoot a little straighter. Good luck, and always remember to identify your target and the background before you pull the trigger!

I disagreed with the guy but looking back at it, there's a lot to respect about the way he went after things and holistically tragic thinking of the online hunting communities.

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm with Hoot on this, it is fishy. Reading his posts, it seems he was trying to learn mostly on his own and was a bright guy. I gotta believe he would have had sense enough to wear orange. But then again, maybe he was just out there snooping around and didn't feel it was necessary to have orange on just fooling around. Regardless, he was a man, not a fuggin deer. But, as Tucky mentioned earlier, mistakes happen quick.

lung buster

hocking county
His posts always "stuck out" over there and I always enjoyed reading about his adventures. He seemed quite knowledgeable for just starting out and it does sound odd that he wouldn't of been wearing orange during a firearms season. Regardless its a tragedy and its sad to hear.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I'm pretty sure the shooter was a minor. The local news showed video of the area, one picture showed 2 hunters for just a second and the one was a kid. I can see situations where it could take 45 minutes to call for help if the didn't have a cellphone or service.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Or maybe SL was using his reg book as his guide for when seasons were. Maybe he didn't realize that it was Muzzy season and he was on one of his treks in the woods. No need to wear hunter prange when you believe muzzy was the past weekend like the reg book says.

Buckmaster

Portage
I'd foster a guess and assume he didn't realize it was muzzleloader season and went out on one of his adventure/nature walks without orange.

in the news movie it showed an officer carrieing a camo muzzy with a scope on it . there is no excuse for this shooting . this was not an accident . an accident would be him tripping and the gun going off or something like that . shooting another person and saying , i thought he was a deer is not an accident .

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Or maybe SL was using his reg book as his guide for when seasons were. Maybe he didn't realize that it was Muzzy season and he was on one of his treks in the woods. No need to wear hunter prange when you believe muzzy was the past weekend like the reg book says.

Holy shit you're right. I didn't think of that. Can someone say state Lawsuit!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

Holy shit you're right. I didn't think of that. Can someone say state Lawsuit!

The dates published in the hunting regs were the dates that muzzleloader season actually occurred. The OAC originally stated muzzy season would occur the weekend of the 14th, then the governor signed the amendment to make muzzy season the 7th thru 10th, like the regs say. If he had the season dates mistaken, it would have to be because he was reading the OAC and NOT the actual ODOW Hunting Regs publication... Pretty unlikely IMO, considering he was a very intelligent and informed outdoorsman.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The dates published in the hunting regs were the dates that muzzleloader season actually occurred. The OAC originally stated muzzy season would occur the weekend of the 14th, then the governor signed the amendment to make muzzy season the 7th thru 10th, like the regs say. If he had the season dates mistaken, it would have to be because he was reading the OAC and NOT the actual ODOW Hunting Regs publication... Pretty unlikely IMO, considering he was a very intelligent and informed outdoorsman.

Question of a doubt is usually all it takes in the eyes of a jury when it's a dead man vs the state .. Not that it would ever go to trial.. You can bet the state would settle quick.

Huckleberry Finn

Question of a doubt is usually all it takes in the eyes of a jury when it's a dead man vs the state .. Not that it would ever go to trial.. You can bet the state would settle quick.

I'd bet that the state would leverage Kasich's (for Milo, read: Kasuck) emergency ruling against the family. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't go knocking on the state's door plus the suit against the guy that shot him. Although, my former friend who was a game warden and got shot turkey hunting watched the guy that shot him get fined and the next case was a poached doe and the fine was higher.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'd bet that the state would leverage Kasich's (for Milo, read: Kasuck) emergency ruling against the family. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't go knocking on the state's door plus the suit against the guy that shot him. Although, my former friend who was a game warden and got shot turkey hunting watched the guy that shot him get fined and the next case was a poached doe and the fine was higher.

Yeah. True. But they would have to somehow show he know it existed. Nobody want's to explain how they screwed up, then slid something out the door to Cover their butts. And point to that to say it wasn't their fault. lol Odds are they would simply settle and make it go away.

Buckmaster

Portage
Here's a little insight from forum OGF.

http://www.tribune-chronicle.com/pag....html?nav=5021
this happened close to my brothers house, he was working on his polebarn roof and hear the shot, after seeing cops and rescue squad going by he went to see what was going on.Apparently an amish guy was stillhunting with his brother and made a 150 shot at what he believed to be a deer. what I was told the guy (Nick) was trapping with no blaze orange on, had a white hat on along with brown coveralls. sad loss of a young life, please no amish comments guys, could have happened to anyone, was told the amish gentleman is really having a hard time with what he did.

Read more: http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/community/showthread.php?t=191287&page=2#ixzz1kOrA1MVW

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I just read this thread for the first time and I'm in shock -
Shadowlurker was such a cool guy, always asking good questions, wanting to learn, he was one of "us".
I really liked that guy.

I can't fathom shooting at something unless you know what it is....I guess it was just drilled into me so hard when I was young

Huckleberry Finn

Chilling is reading some of his old posts...I read one the other night about him squirrel hunting and seeing a deer carcass and bullets wizzing over it because someone was trying to shoot coyotes off of it...it's just eerie...