Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Trumbull co fatal hunting accident

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Nope.. You just have to state you did... Or that you did somewhere else.. Or that you held a license in another state.

I read a thread on AT a while back about a guy that got busted in Ohio because he didn't have proof of a hunter safety course. Let me see if I can find it...

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I knew a guy 2 years ago that told the store where he got his license that he had taken his hunter ed class. The ODNR found out that he didn't and did some digging and found he never held a previouse hunting license either. Needless to say he was lucky the WO stopped by his house and took back his tags before he killed a deer and was found guilty of poaching.

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
It was scary as hell, twentysome years later I remember it like it happened today. The guy's excuse was it was windy and his hat kept blowing off. I don't think I hunted anymore that season.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I was still in high school when I came across a guy muzzleloading hunting in gun season wearing buckskins and a coonskin cap. I was a teenager it was a kind of wake up call that you never know what might be in the woods.

From the video on the news I won't be surprised if the shooter turns out to be a kid.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
A Brooklyn, Ohio man was killed after being shot on state game lands in an apparent hunting accident in Farmington Township Tuesday.

According to Jamey Graham, Ohio Department of Natural Resources spokesperson, Nikolas J. Neric, 26, was shot and died at Grand River Wildlife Area Tuesday, which was the last day of a four-day muzzleloader hunting season.

Graham said investigators are still working on the case, and can't yet confirm that either the victim or the shooter were there to participate in hunting season.

A man had called Trumbull County 911 Dispatch at 2:38 p.m. Tuesday reporting that his brother accidentally shot someone in the Grand River Wildlife Area about 45 minutes prior. The caller said the man wasn't wearing orange and didn't have a gun on him.

It happened off Hoffman Norton Road, west of state Route 45.

The name of the shooter has not yet been released.

http://www.wkbn.com/content/news/lo...ath-on-Game-Lands/w9pgHD7OvEWoINJUgzwdZA.cspx

Buckmaster

Portage
Isn't this the same guy who was showing how he hunted crow and cooked them up ?

Seemed to be pretty cool guy. Very sad story.

Yes, he was an environmentalist and ate road kill too. He had very admirable characteristics and motives to best serve his world.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Absolutely tragic.

How do they still not know the identity of the shooter? And how do they not know whether or not the victim was hunting? Either he had a gun with him or he didn't... I don't get it.

Longdraw

Central,Ohio
If you buy property,you don't need a hunting liscense which means no hunters saftey course,the DNR need to look into making landowners take some kind of hunters course

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yeah he was a pretty cool guy. Was a little outside what most considered norm. But he was always bringing up intriguing points and views. Sucks. I wonder what he was thinking walking around public land with no orange during gun season. Tragic.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Holy cow! Hate to hear of this. I remember his posts. Odd bird, but seemed like a good dude overall. What a shame.

Yeah he was a pretty cool guy. Was a little outside what most considered norm. But he was always bringing up intriguing points and views. Sucks. I wonder what he was thinking walking around public land with no orange during gun season. Tragic.

didnt i read the brother called 45 minets after it hapened? mabey thats why he didnt have hunter orange on . im thinking 45 minets mabey someone screwed with the crime seen , or mabey im jumping to conclusions . sure seems fishy to me .