Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Article: Deer Vehicle accidents the past 8 years.. Shocking

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Just for some perspective... I assume you are hunting in Hardin Co? During muzzy season there were 141 deer killed in Hardin. Fayette killed 26.
I don't know if you all have had the extra archery tags etc that we did (no longer thank God), but this is the direction they can take the herd in a few short years.

Yep we've had the early anterless permits (2) for archery for a couple years now.

08 and 09 were awesome years in the areas that I hunt, last year I had to hunt my ass off to see a couple does and a few bucks from the stand. This year I can't speak from first hand experience as I haven't hunted much at all due to work, but I have buddies that are saying "less deer" like the majority of the crowd here is as well.

Don't get me wrong, there are still guys that have lone access to prime ground, which are the bigger thickets around here with minimal pressure, that are still filling their tags with a nice buck almost every year, but those thickets are becoming few and far between.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Fayette has always been a low-density county. I never felt handicapped by that once I started hunting there. I was lucky to get one of the best properties in the county...at least that is my belief. However, even on what was once great property, its a struggle to find a deer. I don't see them out driving around anymore, it's almost like hunting bigfoot. Ten years ago, I would see deer every time I went to the farm. Hanging stands in the summer...whenever, I'd at least jump one. Today, I'm lucky to see some during the rut. And as you can imagine, some of my stands I can see a mile across fields that used to have deer in them. They are just not there these days. The reduction in tags may help, but I don't think it's enough to bring the herd back. The area is absolutely loaded with coyotes, and it is a rare thing to see a fawn. Seeing a doe with a fawn is an experience, and all I can do is hope she lives till next spring because she is one of the few that knows how to hide at least one of her fawns from the dang yotes.

I think the downward trend is more evident in an area with less deer to start with. Then again, I realize the trend I see may not be applicable to the entire state. But in my eyes, it is something that needs addressed asap. To hear the DOW claim we have the largest deer herd we have ever had for the last three or four years makes me sick, because I know they are either full of bull, or don't have a clue. Hope to find out which it is eventually.