Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Killed a Deer (:

hunna771

As many of you may know, about a week ago i shot a doe with my recurve, and never recovered her. That really sucked. I looked for 4 days non-stop and came up with nothing. I believe she is still alive and healthy. Anyways, i checked my muzzleloader on friday to be sure it was still sighted in. I put a bullet in the bulls eye at 67 yards. PERFECT. I hunted saturday evening and did'nt see anything. I hunted this morning and only saw about a dozen squirrels. Which, BTW i went back there about an hour after i was done deer hunting, and brought the .22... 'nuff said. I went to Meijers today around noon with my buddy Zach B. to see what kinda sales they had on their hunting stuff, i got some "illumenoks(off brand, still work.)" and some trails end scent, my favorite and most effective. He decided to get a ladder stand, considering he only owns 1 pop-up blind. so we got home around 4 and i helped him start to set it up in his yard just so he could test it out. i told him "i'm leaving at 4:40 and going hunting out back." he seemed mad because i'd rather hunt than help him setup a stand. "well whatever, its not like your gonna see anything anyways..." i went home threw on my snow pants and coat, loaded my muzzleloader grabbed my trails end and walked out the door. I put a primer in the gun soon as i enteered the woods, just in case. I was about 20 yards from my stand and reached into my pocket to hang a couple scented wicks. i hung one and i took a few steps to hang one more. i was approx. about 15 yds from my stand.

I heard something kick up and i looked past a deadfall under my stand and a button buck jumped up! i dropped my scent wicks and pulled up my gun. The deer had ran about 15 yards, so now there was about 27 yds between us. i pulled back the hammer and slung some lead. nothing!! the deer then turned broadside and just looked at me like "wth?" it started walking to the left. i quickly reloaded my muzzleloader and shot again!! the dang thing just kept walking!!!! then i was sayin' WTH?! i reloaded one more time and by now the deer was about 50- 60 yards away. I pulled out my gun one more time, pulled back the hammer and boom. by the time the smoke cleared i didnt see the deer take off or fall or anything.

I called my dad(swantucky) excitedly. He told me to reload and wait a few. It was only 5:06. By now my rifle's barrel was super dirty. Loading it was a pain in the... I climbed my stand, and sat for maybe 5 minutes. I looked through the binocs and didnt see anything. i climbed down, put a primer in the gun and walked back to where i last saw the deer. I saw the fur and i was stoked!!:smiley_bril: when i got withing maybe 5 feet the animal lifted its head up:smiley_blackeye: I didnt know what to do, i could see the exit hole, a tad bit fer back. it ended up being a great shot, right behind the shoulder, but at an angle so a lil far back, like i said. it was a fatal shot, i just didnt give the deer enough time to expire. so I called my dad again and he said to put one in the chest. After that, he was done. i pulled out a slip of paper, made my tag(landowners) and tagged it. My dad and zach met up with me and they watched me drag it out and gut it. What a nice sunday evening:smiley_bril::smiley_bril: If i do hunt from here on out, its gonna be archery only. I think i'll just try to film Zach or Zak shooting one, thatd be nice.:smiley_coolpeace: i'll post some pics in a few:pickle:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Congrats Hunna! Three shots at the deer and it was still within 50-60yds? Was it deaf or something? lol

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Outstanding.... Congrats on the deer.... gotta get you pumped to get one with the recurve now......

hunna771

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.337276882957274.86104.100000248953542&type=1

one of these should work...:smiley_bril:

saddlepants

central Ohio
I thought that too! i got within 20 yards and it then it jumped? then shot 3 times and it never ran? i wondered if there was anything wrong with it...

You know Ive seen this a million times when I had good deer ground with lots of activity. Bucks are programed different. I Used to always say "button" bucks are stupid - esp once moms been taken out of the picture. But in reality I just think they are programed different. Like horses and other prey quadrupeds. The male has more reasons to stay and investigate and possibly fight wheras The female is programmed to alert and run more than anything. Young buttons with their mothers will follow because of her alert but alone they are left to natural instinct. I have shot more "stupid" button bucks (or even just young spikes and forks) than young does who just kinda "stood" there. Ill bet looking back many of these guys will say the same. Remember does have to run from danger AND pushy bucks so they are watching out more. BTW! Great JOB!!

hunna771

You know Ive seen this a million times when I had good deer ground with lots of activity. Bucks are programed different. I Used to always say "button" bucks are stupid - esp once moms been taken out of the picture. But in reality I just think they are programed different. Like horses and other prey quadrupeds. The male has more reasons to stay and investigate and possibly fight wheras The female is programmed to alert and run more than anything. Young buttons with their mothers will follow because of her alert but alone they are left to natural instinct. I have shot more "stupid" button bucks (or even just young spikes and forks) than young does who just kinda "stood" there. Ill bet looking back many of these guys will say the same. Remember does have to run from danger AND pushy bucks so they are watching out more. BTW! Great JOB!!

Come to think of it, i've shot 2 bb's this year(including this one) and they both reacted the same.. crazy stuff!