Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

deer sightings during muzzy

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
He DID look really nice! I will admit it now. I pulled a camera card this morning on my way back in. He was on the card. I am VERY happy I did not shoot him. After looking more closely, I am thinking 120" might have been stretching it. I am not going to lie though, from the stand last night, I was like "that is one heck of a buck. Probably 130". I WANT to kill that deer!" lmao

Only deer I saw last night. Saw nothing this morning.

Ahhh... the ol' camera shrinkage. Yep, that happened to the deer I shot this year too. Man, would I love to have that day back.

Last edited:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Nothing on all these sits. 4 properties, 6 different stands.

I wanna take my girls hunting because they want to go BAD but I will not introduce them to seeing nothing. I want it to be as positive as possible.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I just drove around for the past hour and a half looking for geese in fields... I saw virtually no geese around the county, but the deer were absolutely everywhere for some reason! I saw deer in fields tonight that I've never seen deer in in the past three years. Strange... very strange.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Lundy and Mrex, those are nice bucks, congrats!
Sat morning I saw tail at 1 minute before shooting light, and 2 tails across the way at 1 minute after shooting time.

Sunday at 10:30 I saw 1 antlerless deer running up a ridgeline to my left, grunting while running. It was weird, I was sitting there looking in the other direction, and heard what I thought was a bird, then I wondered "What kind of bird is that?" then realized I was hearing grunts....like five short grunts in a row...two times....looked over and saw this deer running up the ridge. When I turned my head to look he may have caught movement or scent, because he stopped and turned the other way and took off. Then I heard a bunch of branches break and the deer crash....i didn't see it but it sounded like he slipped and fell. I'm saying "he" cause it was buck grunting I heard, but there were no antlers...I'm assuming he's shed. Unless does can make the same sound...I don't know. Been searching youtube for deer vocalizations but haven't found anything like it yet.

Anybody heard anything like that?

PS - And Phil....If you woulda been happy shootin that deer, I would have been happy.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Lundy and Mrex, those are nice bucks, congrats!
Sat morning I saw tail at 1 minute before shooting light, and 2 tails across the way at 1 minute after shooting time.

Sunday at 10:30 I saw 1 antlerless deer running up a ridgeline to my left, grunting while running. It was weird, I was sitting there looking in the other direction, and heard what I thought was a bird, then I wondered "What kind of bird is that?" then realized I was hearing grunts....like five short grunts in a row...two times....looked over and saw this deer running up the ridge. When I turned my head to look he may have caught movement or scent, because he stopped and turned the other way and took off. Then I heard a bunch of branches break and the deer crash....i didn't see it but it sounded like he slipped and fell. I'm saying "he" cause it was buck grunting I heard, but there were no antlers...I'm assuming he's shed. Unless does can make the same sound...I don't know. Been searching youtube for deer vocalizations but haven't found anything like it yet.

Anybody heard anything like that?

PS - And Phil....If you woulda been happy shootin that deer, I would have been happy.

Any of these?

http://www.myoan.net/huntingart/deer_calls.html

http://www.rnltruckrepairs.com/ihuntbc/deerwavs.html

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

Thanks J. Honestly, I think most hunters across the state would have been happy shooting that deer. Especially this late in the season, there would be a lot of happy hunters. After checking the camera card the next day and analyzing it better, I am MORE happy I did NOT shoot it. After all, is it the hunt or the kill? Knowing i had him dead in the rights but let him pass is just as good as tagging him. To be able to watch what he turns into next season will be worth it. Bottom line is my buddy and I have goals. That deer will never meet our goals if we shoot him at 120 or 130". I am okay eating my buck tag. I have nothing to prove and nobody to keep happy but myself. I did thoroughly enjoy leaving Dannmann a voicemail cussing him out though. lmao

Okay, I didn't really cuss him out, but I hope he got a kick out of knowing I was thinking of him while I was letting that deer walk. lmao

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I was out all four afternoons and saw 23 deer. Of those 23, I only saw one on a normal travel pattern. The rest were seen as the result of pressure. It was another shitty hunting season...

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Closest thing to it was the tending buck grunt - but it was a little faster....I mighta just heard my first tending grunt...but isn't it a little late for that?

Thanks CJ

Sometimes young males tend to talk faster when they get around a female. Could be just a "guy thing"
He may not have had his shmoozness about him or he was desperate, not wanting to wait another year to get off. :smiley_baby:

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I did thoroughly enjoy leaving Dannmann a voicemail cussing him out though. lmao

Okay, I didn't really cuss him out, but I hope he got a kick out of knowing I was thinking of him while I was letting that deer walk. lmao

I did thoroughly enjoyed listening to that voicemail! lmao hehehahahahaha

Sometimes young males tend to talk faster when they get around a female. Could be just a "guy thing"
He may not have had his shmoozness about him or he was desperate, not wanting to wait another year to get off. :smiley_baby:

Yeah, that would suck lol
I keep replaying that morning...always cool to hear vocalizations out there

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Lol... The funny thing is, on the home stretch back to the house, there was three deer out in a cut bean field just staring across the street at 3 guys in orange putting on a deer drive. lmao

I saw something similar on shotgun bonus weekend...I was driving down the road parallel to their drive and I wanted to stop and say..."Hey, the deer you're looking for are already across the road"

jeremy44230

Medina County
Well, I usually see tons of deer during muzzleloader season, but this year was way different!! The weather sucked bad, as it has all year! I missed a wide open 80 yard shot at a wall hanger, the only decent buck I've seen all year... Passed up on tons of smaller bucks all season for that opportunity and I blew it. I did shoot a nice fat doe on Tuesday morning, she'll be good eatiing. Bad part is that she was farther away than that buck was and was in some thick stuff... Now I get to re-live that WIDE OPEN shot at that buck... Oh well, that's how it goes sometimes.

Come on and snow so these deer will hit the corn and maybe give me another shot... Got me eye on a nice one, just need it to get real cold and snow.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Hunted from sunrise til dark Monday of ML and pounded every piece of property that me and a couple buddies have permission to be on just trying to get something moving. Saw tracks, but only got 4 does moving all day long. Not sure if they were herded up or what, but we sure as heck never found them...