Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

deer sightings during muzzy

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Nice deer fellas!

Took my son out both days. Saw quite a few on Saturday, nothing on Sunday. No shots fired.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Well since that is where my farm is located at I have to make due. Buying property for $5,000+ an acre is out of the cards right now. I wish I could buy a matching 100+ acre property in Highland county or Logan County but I can't. The other properties I hunt around home get the living hell hunted out of them so I doubt if I would do much better. Not to mention, most are bow only.

I love my place........during bow season I saw my fair share of deer.......but it's like after gun season they vanish. I am sure they are held up close, but since we have a no drive rule on the place we don't see many deer unless they move on their own or we bump them walking in or out.

I stopped and got gas yesterday and I talked to a fellow who was pumping gas next to me. I asked if he had done any good and he said no. There were two of them and they saw 2 deer all day, both were over 200 yards away. I asked him if he had seen many in general this year hunting and he said not as many as usual.

Where I hunt in Carroll County it's the exact same way. During bow season, it's pretty easy to get on the deer. But after the gun seasons, good luck. The deer go so nocturnal that I'm lucky to get any daytime pics on the trailcams before March.

My plots are decimated too. Brassica tops all gone and they are starting on the radish bulbs and turnip roots. My winter rye/oat plots are literally eaten to the dirt and so are my clover plots.

The only thing left in my plots are 2" shoots of leftover oats here and there. The turnips have completely vanished, and the radishes are bitten off right at grade... They didn't dig them up, just bit 'em off. It looks like someone hit the radishes with a lawnmower lol.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I wonder what the excuse will be this time considering we've had beautiful weather for muzzy compared to years past. Actually all of dec was beautiful compared to last year. Alex checked his logs and he had plowed snow 5 times by this time last year with the first is being dec 4th. He's not had to plow once and only needed to salt once so far this year.

Full moon

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
There have been more deer killed in my areas during the first 2 days of muzzy season than all of shotgun combined. The deer have been moving around quite a bit from what I saw this weekend.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Have they started to yard up in your area Chad?

Funny you mention this Ric. I was just talking to my buddy at work today about the deer yarding up already. A lot of the deer I've been seeing lately are in big groups... Seems early to me, especially since it really hasn't been all that cold yet.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Somewhat. I think it is mostly because of the small areas of standing corn. They haven't grouped up real big yet like normal when the temps get real cold.

I was just wondering because it seems from the reports I've been getting that your either up to your eyeballs in deer or not seeing shit! Could be a reason.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I saw one tonight. Nice one. Just not quite nice enough. If I had shot him I am afraid Dannman would pull up a quote I said about "not shooting one unless it is bigger than the ones on the wall". Dannmann- You saved the life of about a 130" 8pt tonight. A-hole.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I saw one tonight. Nice one. Just not quite nice enough. If I had shot him I am afraid Dannman would pull up a quote I said about "not shooting one unless it is bigger than the ones on the wall". Dannmann- You saved the life of about a 130" 8pt tonight. A-hole.

You have some serious will power. At this stage of the game he had to look really nice!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio

I got to hand it to ya Phil! Passing a 130" 8 took some willpower buddy. I hope it pays off for you in the end.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You have some serious will power. At this stage of the game he had to look really nice!

He DID look really nice! I will admit it now. I pulled a camera card this morning on my way back in. He was on the card. I am VERY happy I did not shoot him. After looking more closely, I am thinking 120" might have been stretching it. I am not going to lie though, from the stand last night, I was like "that is one heck of a buck. Probably 130". I WANT to kill that deer!" lmao

Only deer I saw last night. Saw nothing this morning.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I hunted until 1230 today. Didn't see a deer. After having a good Saturday, I had high hopes. Sunday-zero, and again this morning. I'm ok with getting skunked today, was just too nice to stay home. I didn't even put a primer in the gun. Still, would have been nice to see something!