Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

scope mounting problem

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Trying to put a new(birthday present) Leupold VX3 1.75-6 on my T/C Encore muzzleloader. This is replacing a Nikon scope that I had used for 5 or 6 years. I'm using the same pair Warne Maxima rings that held the Nikon. So all I did was swap scopes.

I have the elevation maxed out at the top and the rifle is still shooting 4 inches low at 50 FEET.

So since nothing else changed but the scope is it possible that there is a scope problem? I've double checked everything. Base is tight and the rings are sitting on the base correctly. Any suggestions?

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I think its the powers to be telling you to go with the flint lock Sam.
I'm at a loss for the scope problem. sorry

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I know this sounds dumb, but did you try maxing the elevation out in the opposite direction? Might be worth a try. I don't sight in very many scopes, and when I finally do I often find myself trying to remember which way to turn the turrets. Seems like I've had scopes where I have to "chase the bullet" and others where the opposite is true.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
No I know I'm going in the right direction. I started out a foot low at 50 feet.

hmmm.... Too bad you don't have another set of rings around to try. You could always just send it back to Leupold and try another one. Their lifetime warranty is pretty good from what I've heard.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I've only had that happen one time Sam and took the scope back and that fixed lol..... Hopefully switching the rings will fix it but if the Nikon worked for 5 years it'll work for the next 5 days...... I'd be a little surprised that a scope of that caliber would be bad but stuff happens.....

Lundy

I have never experienced what you are seeing.

You obviously know what you are doing so a couple of really stupid questions from me. Do you have the elevation knob mounted up, at 12 oclock? Is the scope fully seated in the rings? Have you tried running the adjustment the other way to the stop and counting the number of clicks to see if you are getting the full range as shown in the specs for that scope?

At least if you knew the number of clicks you can get it would help when you call Leupold

I wish you luck

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I experienced something similar the first time I mounted a scope on a Ruger. I didn't get the one ring properly seated in the notch, so the first thing I checked was how well the rings were attached to the base. These rings are verticle split so the scope seating isn't an issue.

I haven't tried turning it all the way down and back up. I did get 2 full revolutions up from the factory zero.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
As far as Leupold service goes; I had an issue with one of their scopes I had mounted on a 44 Red hawk. A rubber O ring had sheared when the factory had put it together but did not not come into my field of view inside the tube until many repeated shootings. 10 days before deer season in FL. and the customer service said get it to them and they would do their best to get it back to me in time. 6 days later it showed up priory mail with a letter explaining the machine at the factory was determined to have the tork set to high and had twisted the part together a little to hard and had sheared the O ring. They fixed it, re-charged the gas and overnighted it back. I was happy. If it comes to it, I would bet you will be treated well.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
So I've spent the last 3 hours screwing around with it. Cranked it all the way down and back up. There is about 60-70 minutes of total adjustment. Tried swapping the rings around. That was a little better, I got it so it was only 7 inches low at 100 yards. Talked to a friend about it and he asked "how close is the Nikon to the top?" I hadn't thought of that so I checked and had at least one full revolution of adjustment, didn't try more then that. So the Nikon is back on, took 5 shots to get it back where I wanted. Last 2 shots were touching 2 1/2" high at 100 yards.

Now I have to make a phone call to Leupold.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
So I've spent the last 3 hours screwing around with it. Cranked it all the way down and back up. There is about 60-70 minutes of total adjustment. Tried swapping the rings around. That was a little better, I got it so it was only 7 inches low at 100 yards. Talked to a friend about it and he asked "how close is the Nikon to the top?" I hadn't thought of that so I checked and had at least one full revolution of adjustment, didn't try more then that. So the Nikon is back on, took 5 shots to get it back where I wanted. Last 2 shots were touching 2 1/2" high at 100 yards.

Now I have to make a phone call to Leupold.

I figured that was coming... Sucks you can't use it this weekend but as long as the Nikon does it's job life is good..... When you get that thing fixed and I but my scope for the new slug gun we'll zero them in together...... Safety in numbers :smiley_crocodile:

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I went to Leupold's website and it says it only has 45 minutes of adjustment, I must have counted wrong when I said 60-70:smiley_depressive: The Nikon has 80 so the Nikon has almost twice the range of adjustment.
I wish I had miked the rings while they were off. I believe the mystery is partly solved.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I did something dumb last year because I'm ignorant. I put my scope on wrong and the wrong knob was on top. Could you have done that?

Lundy

I went to Leupold's website and it says it only has 45 minutes of adjustment, I must have counted wrong when I said 60-70:smiley_depressive: The Nikon has 80 so the Nikon has almost twice the range of adjustment.
I wish I had miked the rings while they were off. I believe the mystery is partly solved.

I think you have solved it.

If you want to use the new scope with less range of adjustment you will need to shim the bases. It is not really a scope issue as much as a gun, gun mount issue I believe

Nice detective work!

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I would have assumed the Leupy VX-III would have more adjustment than that also.

Me too. I wonder how Leupold engineers used the extra room in the tube that others use for adjustment? Wider FOV, better adjustment, heavier parts?

I won't be calling Leupold. I didn't even think when shopping to check the range of adjustment. This is a short range scope for less the 200 yards.