Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Muzzleloader season

Big H

Medina
Lol JD!! Nah, Ron, Stacey and Adam have one and theirs feel lighter than the KBH. Down deep inside I would love for the girls to eventually get the deer hunting bug which the oldest one has hinted to me she has. It would be a great rifle for her/them to use for youth gun and muzzy season.

I love my Knight Bighorn but something lighter and of great accuracy would be great to break the daughters into the world of deer hunting. :smiley_coolpeace:

Take a look at the TC Impact. I bought one of them for my daughter. Dicks had them for $219 with a TC 3 x 9 scope. I was shooting pop cans at 40 yards with it after sighting it in...

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
TC Omega Thumbhole Stock / Stainless
Leopold 2.5 x 7 Scope
90 gr. Pyrodex
250 gr. Hornady SST
1" high at 100 yds........ Lookin to shoot a doe in the head! (Short track job)

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My plans are changed. I will be back out in the morning shooting again. The frustration of this muzzle loader is killing me. I will get it "dialed in" as much as possible. I will hunt the 4 day season, and my scope is going back. I have finally found a combination of 100gr Triple 7 with 300gr TC Shockwave which is giving me consistent groups. I am having scope issues though. Make an adjustment for 3" to the left and it moves 9" left. Adjust it back to where it was and it hits low. All I can do is screw with it until I am close to the bull and use Kentucky windage. My groups are consistent out of the gun, but the scope is pissing me off.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My plans are changed. I will be back out in the morning shooting again. The frustration of this muzzle loader is killing me. I will get it "dialed in" as much as possible. I will hunt the 4 day season, and my scope is going back. I have finally found a combination of 100gr Triple 7 with 300gr TC Shockwave which is giving me consistent groups. I am having scope issues though. Make an adjustment for 3" to the left and it moves 9" left. Adjust it back to where it was and it hits low. All I can do is screw with it until I am close to the bull and use Kentucky windage. My groups are consistent out of the gun, but the scope is pissing me off.

Dang sorry to hear that buddy. Do you have a set of rifle sights on the gun? If it were me I'd just take the scope off altogether and shoot open sights until I got a new scope.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio

Thought you would like the Shockwaves in that gun. Wish I could do more to help.

Dang sorry to hear that buddy. Do you have a set of rifle sights on the gun? If it were me I'd just take the scope off altogether and shoot open sights until I got a new scope.

Good Idea. That gun has pretty decent "fiber optic" type front and rear sights.

Huckleberry Finn

I had a hell of a time sighting my muzzleloader in last year with a scope, bud. Thankfully Jesse was very patient and helpful - both in setting me up while I did it and shooting in between my shots - I have always found that it's a lot more fun and easier to sight guns in with someone else. I'm a pretty shitty shot and it's always been beneficial to have someone else pulling to trigger so that I know it's me, not the gun.

And, I know that you got that lead sled, but for some reason is it you? I only ask that because I have the same problem the other day. I know that last year Jesse and I shot my gun into a groundhog sized target at 100 yards. I shot twice the other day and the first was dead on left to right but about a foot and a half low, the second was dead on top to bottom but about a foot left. WTF? I pulled out my .22 and shot about 30 rounds at the target, switched guns, and put 3 right into a 3 inch group. I've had a nasty flinch for years and I'm still getting over it apparently...

In other words, I know that it can be frustrating but keep at it!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks for the words and suggestions guys. Thanks for the phone call CJD. If nothing else, it was great talking to you! I will verify this tomorrow with better light, but I am really leaning towards having a scope issue. My groups were consistent. Every time I made an adjustment, the adjustments were crazy off. Say you are shooting right 6". I would make adjustments to move to the left 3" in an effort to follow the shots in small adjustments. Stupid thing would end up jumping 12" to the left. Here is the thing though, if I took a second shot, it would be within 1.5-2" of the other. I am sub 2" groups which I am thrilled about. This tells me I finally found a bullet the gun likes. I am going to screw with the scope until I find a place the scope likes close to the bullseye and I am finishing the 4 day season with it there. After this, I am sending it back into Nikon.

FredT

SE Ohio
My Remington 700 with 90 grains of 2F and a 265 cast w/sabot spoke on Thursday of gun week. I'm tagged out.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
I am getting real good at watching birds and squirels....would be real nice to see a deer while hunting one of these days....

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Huckleberry Finn

Funny thing is that I didn't even see a squirrel this morning. Saw 1 tail very early in the morning. Heard 18 shots from light to 11:30 :smiley_chinrub:

Headed out for the evening sit

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am dialed in. Finally! It is about time. Here are my results. I am going to start another thread because I feel it is worthy. If it can save anyone some time and headaches, and more importantly if it can keep one person safe, it is worthy of a thread.

Attachments

• TC Omega dialed in Jan 7 2012.jpg
    TC Omega dialed in Jan 7 2012.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 138

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Change of plans, busted ass here at work this weekend so I'm off tomorrow and Tuesday. Looks like I will be picking up the Muzzleloader for the first time in 3 or 4 years!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That is awesome Drake! Hope you put some brown down tomorrow. Am I right in thinking you are buck or doe tomorrow? Looking to fill the freezer with antlers being a bonus?