Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

OK Let's talk deer hunting plans

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I will share costs and drive if it isn't too bad. Rifle season?

Pretty sure my connection in KY is lined up. Would invite you guys but I was invited and am not in a position to do any inviting right now. Be my luck I end up trying to figure out where to put an Ohio and KY mount next year. lol Go from tag soup to 2 tags filled? Wouldn't break my heart.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't think I'll be getting out this weekend with the muzzy, but I'm hoping to get out a few more weekends with my bow before the season closes. However if we get some good ice, that could certainly change things. I'm getting the ice fishing itch pretty bad right about now.

Last year about this time, I stumbled on a couple spots where the deer were browsing hard on briars before entering the open fields. If the cold weather stays, that's probably where I'll be perched with my bow in hand.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
We shot a little buck on sun. coming tot he corn with a doe, then as we were letting our bows down we had one sneak up on us and then bolted. Only ran about 60 yds and then just walked off.

I am going to try to take a cpl hours tomrrow and hunt after work. Got Disney on ice on sat, then I will be out sunday evening after church. Wont be hunting mon or tuesday. As long as I can keep the corn out, they will keep coming back...

Remember boys white + Yellow = RED!!

We need the snow and cold to stick though, this 50 degrees stuff tomorrow aint gonna cut it.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Working all weekend so ML is out now for me. As busy as work is right now and the forecasted workload for the year, I will be struggling to make it out in January to shoot one for the freezer!! Can't complain though, being busy at work is a good thing!! Putting out some corn after ML just in case I get a free evening to get in the stand a bust one!

Best of luck to all of you fellers that are making it out this weekend, be safe!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
As in a pile?:smiley_chinrub:..Sounds doable to me...How big of a pile?How many piles on say 6 to 10 acre of woods? One?

Make two small piles about 10 feet from one another and broadcast some loose around as well. It will keep the deer moving back and forth from one pile to another, offering more shot angles, that way they don't lock up and feed in one position that might not be the best shot opportunity.

Huckleberry Finn

Make two small piles about 10 feet from one another and broadcast some loose around as well. It will keep the deer moving back and forth from one pile to another, offering more shot angles, that way they don't lock up and feed in one position that might not be the best shot opportunity.

Not to mention it will prevent the deer from touching each other and spreading diseases. mischeif.gif

(Sorry, I had TOO)

Sorry to be a PITA but small as in 2....5gallon buckets each pile?Or a 5gal bucket spilt between them?..I had the wife pick up a 100lb on the way home from work this AM.Thats what about 15gal of corn or so in 100lb?.Maybe I should have had her pick up 200lb?I got some apples coming sooner or later TOO

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Sorry to be a PITA but small as in 2....5gallon buckets each pile?Or a 5gal bucket spilt between them?..I had the wife pick up a 100lb on the way home from work this AM.Thats what about 15gal of corn or so in 100lb?.Maybe I should have had her pick up 200lb?I got some apples coming sooner or later TOO

Honestly, as warm as the weather has been, they aren't going to be trying to survive on your pile right now. If it was 5 degrees outside with 5 inches of snow on the ground, I would dump it all, as they could easily eat 100 lbs in a few days. I would put a couple buckets full out for now and see how it goes. Once they start hitting the pile (may take a few days for them to find it and get used to feeding on it), you will have a better idea of how much they are going to eat in say a week.

Once the weather turns nasty, more deer will start hitting it and for longer periods of time.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I am trying to decide if I even wanna buy a tag and go. I wouldn't mind getting another doe but I am not sure I wanna buy a tags just to hunt one day. One of the guys I work with has a bow only property I could go to later in Jan and probably shoot a doe tho so I might.

Milo

Tatonka guide.

we will get you to master baiter status before you know it..

Ohiobowhunter1

Columbus
I am excited to get out there with the ol' muzzy. Haven't been hunting since extra gun week-end with both holidays falling on the week-ends. I am planning on going out Sunday and then Tuesday if need be, then hoping the bitter cold comes for late bow season.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ok, possibly a change of plans now. I think I'm going to try to go out with the muzzy this weekend after all. I haven't checked cams in over a month and I need an excuse to try out my LW sticks anyway. :smiley_coolpeace:

Buckmaster

Portage
I was planning on heading to camp to muzzy hunt but all my buddies say they are done. So that left me headed to camp for the weekend alone. Because that doesn't sound like too much fun I decided to stay home and hunt my other lot.

Driving by it today the neighbor has this huge excavator parked in their woods. I called him this morning and he said they are clear cutting it beginning today through Saturday.

So, I think I'm going to choose my latter choice and compete with chain saws and equipment and we'll see what happens. At least I get to sleep in my own house this weekend.

Kaiser878

ohio
I could give a shit honestly. I'll probably waterfowl in the mornings from here on out. It's up to Tracie if we hunt during muzzleloader. I plan to kill one regardless, but it won't be a hunt. I've been pumping golden acorns to the does behind the house, so it'll be like shooting fish in a barrel. We could use one more for the freezer, so if Tracie doesn't want to go or doesn't kill something over the weekend, I'll shoot one Monday or Tuesday for meat. I'm done bowhunting for the year and have been since Thanksgiving. I'm officially burnt out and am giving serious consideration to not hunting at all next year. But that's another story...

now thats no way to be

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Ok, possibly a change of plans now. I think I'm going to try to go out with the muzzy this weekend after all. I haven't checked cams in over a month and I need an excuse to try out my LW sticks anyway. :smiley_coolpeace:

attaboy JB...i was kinda worryin about ya....

I'm so excited about this weekend I could pee myself - it's like opening day all over again.

I love it.

Last edited: