Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

OK Let's talk deer hunting plans

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
What's going on? What are ya doin'? Plenty of season left and muzzy starts officially this weekend. What are your plans?

I'm excited to be getting back at it after taking December off for the holidays. Gonna muzzy hunt Sat/Sun. Saturday I'll be in the same blind I was in for gun season, wind forecast is for SW and WSW wind which is good. Sunday I'll be hunting a different farm, hunting hills. Just got the winch mounted on the 4wheeler, and hopefully will get a chance to test it out liftin a doe to butcher.:smiley_clap:

I'm excited - anybody else stoked? :pickle: :smiley_boogie::smiley_cheer:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I ready to be in the tree again. The cortozone shot is working so a muzzleloading I will go.

Also, everything should be in for my bow next week. Milo and I will get that set up to kill also!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm basically following the same game plan as gun. I'll be trying to get Klay his first buck. Only bad thing is we've been running 3 cams and no bucks have been showing up except the little scraggly one that he could've shot during gun. That guy may not get a second pass.

We will be out Saturday evening. After that we will play it by ear.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I'll be hunting Saturday and Sunday for sure and then I have Monday and Tuesday off if necessary. I'd like to get one more deer for the freezer and then get one to donate. I'll most likely be hunting urban zones at least half of the time. One with antlers would be cool too.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
heading south i hope. then bowhunting hard till the end. may have to look at kentucky next year at this rate.

Huckleberry Finn

I'll be hunting all four days of muzzleloader (as needed). I went and picked my spot for Saturday yesterday and even piled some sticks to brush my chair in. Gonna gun hunt from the ground in the piece of woods where I started it all...pretty excited about that to be honest! From the fresh tracks I saw I have a good feeling.

I may try to bow hunt again this year, haven't decided yet.

lung buster

hocking county
I'm off all 4 days and will spend sat and sun trying to get my son a doe. Mon and tues morning ill carry the muzzy looking to fill one last tag and or hunting with my dad. Mon and tues evening ill be out with my boy after school if need be. Good luck to all hunting!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I could give a shit honestly. I'll probably waterfowl in the mornings from here on out. It's up to Tracie if we hunt during muzzleloader. I plan to kill one regardless, but it won't be a hunt. I've been pumping golden acorns to the does behind the house, so it'll be like shooting fish in a barrel. We could use one more for the freezer, so if Tracie doesn't want to go or doesn't kill something over the weekend, I'll shoot one Monday or Tuesday for meat. I'm done bowhunting for the year and have been since Thanksgiving. I'm officially burnt out and am giving serious consideration to not hunting at all next year. But that's another story...

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I plan on being out Sat and Sun if I don't have to work Sat. If snow flies on Sunday, I just may slide back out on Monday and Tues depending on the crew I am working for. I have been holding one tag as my buddy has killed several deer ~~ But not one with a gun EVER! Hoping to see that happen in person. He just got his first muzzy and is stoked to make something tired and thirsty.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am honestly scratching my head. Muzzle loader season is supposed to be cold and snowy. The deer are supposed to be on feeding patterns. The rut is supposed to be over. Right now the forecast is looking like what I would consider "mild." Mid 30's with no snow and no real fronts moving in. Sure, there is a cold front moving in, but it doesn't appear to be one with any precipitation and it doesn't look like it will be much variation from our current weather trends. My wife works Friday-Sat-Sun which hurts the morning hunts unless I want to pay a babysitter. We have lost 2 shooters on one farm this year and unless one of the "ghosts" shows up, I really don't want to shoot any of the bucks we know are regulars.

Where does this leave me? Well, maybe I will hunt one of the other farms which has seen very little pressure this season (due to the fact we only have random sightings and those were in mid summer at night). My thoughts are to slide in mid day, hunt the ground (or maybe a tree) and observe an area which has seen minimal traffic. It is "possible" I could catch a buck sliding out of a bigger woods where nobody is "supposed" to be hunting. I feel there is at least one decent buck hiding out in there and while it would be a long shot, it is possible I could catch one sliding out of this woods into the picked corn fields. Another option would be to hunt somewhere I have only coyote hunted in the past. There is still some standing corn in the area. Not a high odds location, but you just never know.

Where does this leave me? Well, I will be out. I will be out with slim hopes. I will be continuing to practice with my bow. I will be waiting for snow and extreme cold temps. In between plowing snow, the family schedules, and work schedule, I will be out late bow season and I feel given the right conditions this will be my best chance at tagging a buck this year.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm anxious to getting back out. Haven't hunted since Friday of regular deer gun. Unfortunately fighting a bad case of bronchitis and am on steroids right now. Dick will prolly shrink alittle but my guns need alittle more definition.lol. I'm hoping to feeling better by this weekend and smokepole a big doe for my last deer for the year. Get some good deer video from the treestand and enjoy Gods beauty.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I will be out this weekend for muzzy because i do every year. I dont expect much though, all the cams are showing nighttime movement only, and I havent even seen anything in the fields on the way to and from work. Very unusual.

As for the rest of the season, If conditions are right. cold temps, new moon, low barometric pressure... i'll try to get out, otherwise, I'm done.

Nonsense!!! We need points ;)
Thanks for the light kick in the ass Mike..I might just have to put some corn out an get this damm deer monkey off my fuggin back

I feel given the right conditions this will be my best chance at tagging a buck this year.
Thats what I like to hear...I have a strong feeling I will have this farm to myself after ML(hopefully)..What would a good plan be?Glass in the evenings or such from a distance and to try an figure them out..Or is there a better method?I got a map I could share if anyone would wanna offer advice

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Bowhunting one evening this week if things go well, then either heading southeast for the weekend possibly with the muzzleloader. If plans fall through on going down SE, then I'll probably bowhunt my Urban spot or muzzy another spot not too far from home.

Ideally, I'm hoping that I can get one with the bow this week, then goose hunting pretty hard through the next few weeks, then back to the bow for the last week of the season to fill my other tag in the wallet. That would be the perfect way to end an other wise tough season. Fingers are crossed.

Good luck out there TOOzers!!!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thats what I like to hear...I have a strong feeling I will have this farm to myself after ML(hopefully)..What would a good plan be?Glass in the evenings or such from a distance and to try an figure them out..Or is there a better method?I got a map I could share if anyone would wanna offer advice

Sounds like a great starting point Nick. Glass from a distance. When you hunt late season, I am thinking hunting less but when you hunt you will be forced to hunt smarter is the way to go. These deer are going to be skiddish. They have been pursued through every gun season at this point. It is colder. Our noises and sounds travel farther. We need to be ultra stealthy and we need to be smart when we hunt. Just going out and putting in the time "might" not cut it. Might work if you can throw some corn out and have a stand with quiet entry and exit routes though. These are a few of my thoughts. I am far from an expert on late season hunting, but these all seem very logical and if you listen to those who have hunted a lot of late seasons, these things are repeated over and over from them. I hope to be able to implement them this year. This is truly the first deer hunting season in which i am possibly going to be hunting all the way to the end. Looking forward to it? Eh. Not particularly. Going to do it? Darn right. I am persistent and if I am going to eat my buck tag this year, I am going to do so with pride and honor and KNOW I gave it my all. No shame in that.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Working Saturday and Sunday, but and there's always a but..... Sam was nice enough to invite me over too hunt with him on Monday and Tuesday which coincides with my sudden illness which just happens too show up on Monday and Tuesday...... rotflmao

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Thanks for the light kick in the ass Mike..I might just have to put some corn out an get this damm deer monkey off my fuggin back

Didn't know you were on Cotty's team..... How many tags you got? You live close you know?