Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

OK Let's talk deer hunting plans

IMG_0286.jpgWell I did make it out today, but I was the only one that showed up. The deer didn't come to the party. My creek bottom looked a little different with snow on the hillsides.

Attachments

• IMG_0285.jpg
    IMG_0285.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0287.jpg
    IMG_0287.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 124

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Fugg... Gotta get up in 5 hours but I'm so fired up to climb back into a tree that I can't sleep!!!

Huckleberry Finn

Fugg... Gotta get up in 5 hours but I'm so fired up to climb back into a tree that I can't sleep!!!

x2 brother. I'm pumped to go hunt where I first started hunting, from the ground, with a gun. Haven't had that combination in several years.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My plans are fluid as of now. Momma has to work. Muzzle loader is not where I am comfortable to take it hunting. This leaves me shooting in the morning. Get the kids to stay quiet until noon or 1 and I should be able to sneak off to hunt the afternoon. I have a little more hope for this location than I did a week ago. Good long distance scouting info in my favor.

I was invited to go with a group of 3 other guys to Killdeer on Sunday. They were going to do some driving. Given how sick I have been all week and the lack of a babysitter, I am thinking this is not going to happen. At this point, having a gun shooting consistently is my only concern. The hunting will have to fall in wherever it happens to fall. Kinda bummed.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Got to do a sit last night with nothing seen, it doesn't help that someone was back there crow hunting though. I am excited to be going out this morning. It will be my first sit on this property since killing my largest buck. Got some things resolved with the land owners and am back in the saddle. I know there are some big boys running there. I just hope all this screwed up weather isn't going to be screwing it up for me. Hoping to hunt hard this weekend but we will see how that goes.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county

x2 brother. I'm pumped to go hunt where I first started hunting, from the ground, with a gun. Haven't had that combination in several years.

This is the first time in at least a month I have been "excited" to get out in the A.M. I've had a couple afternoon sits, but I have been blowing off mornings for a while. The weather sucks, and I dont really have much for expectations, but I'm ready to get back out there and watch a sunrise.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I am more excited to get out in the morning than I was to go today! I found a pretty good one for my son to chase, and was looking forward to this evening's hunt. Heck, I tried to get him to sleep in this morning but he insisted we go. Not wanting to foul up the spot where the good one is, we went to one of my old trusty farms. It has be void of life for the most part the last several years, but I still hunt it because I know how good it used to be...sometimes I just like to go there and remember. Anyway, the place was crawling with deer. We saw 11. He passed on a doe (he's only 8), and we saw 3 bucks....2 of which were half racks. So, I can't wait to head back up there in the morning and see if he can get a shot. Our hunt tonight was great too, but the big boy didn't show. We saw 5 does, and again he didn't shoot. I'm betting tomorrow, given the chance, he will kill something! CANT WAIT FOR TOMORROW!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That is awesome stuff Brock! I am sure it felt pretty good to see some deer for you for a change! Even better to share that experience with your son!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thanks fellas, me too! That kid bowhunted his tail off this year to no avail, but man has he had some good gun hunts! I'm certain he will pull the trigger pretty quick tomorrow...if the deer are still there. They move around in this area, and they sometimes move completely off the properties I can hunt. Heck, I'm not even thinking about the nice one at this point, its just gonna be fun to see him shoot another one regardless of what it is!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We hunted morning and evening Sunday. Didn't see a deer. With school, he is done for muzzy season.