Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Heavier barrel for my .25-06?

I own a Stevens model 200, in .25-06 and it has a 22" sporter barrel. I've been reloading for it, using light weight varmint bullets and moderate loads. It will produce 5/8" groups at 100 yards and 1 1/4" groups at 200 yards.

I'd like to see 1 hole groups at 100 and 1/2" groups at 200. However, I'm comparing this caliber to my .22-250, for accuracy, but I may be being unreasonable.

I've given some thought to having a tactical weight barrel installed. Something a little lighter than a varmint weight, as this is a carry rifle for coyotes. I think that the lighter sporter weight barrel isn't providing the accuracy that this caliber is capable of producing. Going off of what I've seen in other rifles, I'm thinking a 24" tactical weight barrel would greatly increase the accuracy, at longer ranges.

I'm open to suggestions:
* New barrel?
* Longer/heavier barrel?
* Optimum barrel length for this caliber?
* Leave it alone?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Expecting better than 5/8ths per 100 out of a non bench gun is unreasonable.

90% of guns won't do that....even high dollar ones.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
BH57- If you have extra money burning a hole in your pocket, you should just stop over. You have seen my skinny kids. They will accept all the monetary support you want to contribute. lmao

Seriously, I think I would leave it alone. Unless you are going into some shooting competition or something, I think your groups are above what the average shooter is going to do with this gun. The coyotes are not going to die anymore if your groups are 1/2" or 1 1/2" at 100yds. Dead is dead. Save the money bud. If anyone on here knows their rifles, I would say Beentown is one of them. Curious to see if FredT or Ohiosam chime in. I am guessing their diagnosis is going to be similar to Beener's. Darn impressive and excellent bang for the buck.

hickslawns said:
You have seen my skinny kids. They will accept all the monetary support you want to contribute.
White slavery? :smiley_crocodile: J/K

The only thing that I want to do, for certain, is take this rifle to Fred Moreo at Sharp Shooter Supply and have him install one of his excellent triggers. I had one in my .22-250 and for $85, it was a great improvement.

Bowhunter57

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
After re-reading my responces may have seemed...abrupt. 5/8ths is flat out awesome if it is consistent. If you wanna try and surpass that more power to you. I don't have a rifle that does less than .66 with me behind the trigger. I have hit .75 pretty often with it.

A good trigger is well worth $85! Good luck

Beentown,
I've been talking with other rifle owners...larger bored rifles and they've been saying the same thing you're saying. My reference is from a Savage .22-250 and a Remington 788 in .243, that would produce 1 hole 3 shot groups at 100 yards and 3 shot groups inside a penny at 200 yards. The guys I've been talking with state that .22 caliber centerfire rifles will attain better accuracy than their larger caliber brothers.

Of the 3 guys, they were shooting a 300 WSM, .264 Win. Mag. and a 300 Weatherby. There thoughts, if any money was to be spent, it should be on better glass, a better trigger and a better stock. These guys are avid shooters and have a lot of kills to their credit. Experience says a lot. :smiley_blink:

Bowhunter57