Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Washington County Poacher

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Barn swallows + tennis racket made for a fun time...

Lol Charles. The barn sparrows were sitting ducks and became cat food when Ron and I were done with them but those dang barn swallows were a challenge as fast and flighty as they were. We tried shooting at them as they swooped down in our pond for a sip and usually hit behind them about a foot. Lol

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
We had a huge barn and would wait up in the hayloft. We would send someone in the barn and just go to town. Your arms would be sore from swatting at them!

epe

Lancaster
Bats won't hit the rocks.. they come
close. We use to take a sock, put rocks, dirt in them, tie it shut and throw them up.. bats would chase it all the way down like rocks but not hit it either...

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Bats won't hit the rocks.. they come
close. We use to take a sock, put rocks, dirt in them, tie it shut and throw them up.. bats would chase it all the way down like rocks but not hit it either...

You beat me to it. We used to do the same thing. There was a street light by an old church up the road from my house and the bats would flock around the light getting bugs. We'd tie a rock in a sock and throw it up in the air. The bats were supposed to latch on and fall to the gorund. They never did, but did go after the socks... not sure why.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I remember the name Rip Torn, he was on that show hunting quite often.

Good ol' Rip Torn... whatta name. He's had quite a few roles. Some of you guys may remember him as Mr. Lipman on Seinfeld. My favorite role of his was the bad dude in Beastmaster.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Yep about the bats we did it all the time too..

Now my favorite pastime was trying to hit the wood boring bumble bees with a small board, like only an inch wide.. About the size of the big stir sticks for 5 gallon paint buckets. You have to stalk up and when they hover try to pop them with the board. If they have a white spot on their head they don't sting so don't worry... Then i would sit by the old barn with my bb gun and try to shoot them when they would stop and hover. Got pretty good at it.

epe

Lancaster

Yep about the bats we did it all the time too..

Now my favorite pastime was trying to hit the wood boring bumble bees with a small board, like only an inch wide.. About the size of the big stir sticks for 5 gallon paint buckets. You have to stalk up and when they hover try to pop them with the board. If they have a white spot on their head they don't sting so don't worry... Then i would sit by the old barn with my bb gun and try to shoot them when they would stop and hover. Got pretty good at it.
Pussy... ;) We used to make homemade blow guns out of a straw, and darts out a sewing needle and thread. We would nail bumble bees and regular honey bees going after clover flowers in the yard.. you had to get awfully damn close to hit one..

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Pussy... ;) We used to make homemade blow guns out of a straw, and darts out a sewing needle and thread. We would nail bumble bees and regular honey bees going after clover flowers in the yard.. you had to get awfully damn close to hit one..

I went through thousands of BBs.. I can still point shoot a .22 well enough to hit a thrown clay about 1 out of 5 times. But can't really hit them with a shotgun.. :smiley_confused_vra

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Did you shoot a bb gun slow enough to where you could see the bb fly? Makes it easier that way...

Yep. Just one pump when shooting at the bees. But for everything else it was 10.. The reason i shot instinctive is because the sights we're garbage and that plastic ramp always got lost. I kid you guys not I would wear out 2 bb guns a year and go through the half milk carton sized box of BBs in 2 weeks. :)

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Thanks guys. He wasn't after me but I sure thought he was. Zipped right by after pulling out behind me. If you look close there is actually two of them.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
It's funny to think back at what we found enjoyment in...... We didn't have Nintendo's, X-box's or Wii's........ I remember searching for enough pop bottles to go and buy another pack of BB's.....LOL......
OH HELL YEAH...pop bottles...great source of income....and if you ever found one of those wood crates you were in BIG money.

Funny how this thread took a real turn for the positive....kinda viral

If I remember right the quart bottles paid a nickel. Made those two cent bottles seem like a cheap find. But, like you guys we scrounged for them all the time. As a teenager I trapped muskrats to by .410 shells. I think that 'ol .410 saved me tons of money. When all my teenage friends were buying Winstons and Colt 45 I was spending my money on 3" Remingtons. Have never smoked or drank, so saved a ton by passing on those two vices. Spent it all hunting and fishing though. I think I made a good choice.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Our dad gave us his old Daisy pump bb gun he had as a kid so's we both had a bird weapon. The other bb gun was a daisy lever action we both got for a Christmas present. To load the old pump you had to unscrew the end of the barrel and pull out a foot long springloaded bb apparatus. It held about 30 to 40 bb's. The lever action had a hole at the top of the barrel about 2 inches from the end of the barrel. We'd get our black and yellow bb containers(the size of a 1/4 stick) and pour them in till it was packed and go to town.lol

I remember getting bored and ornery one day when our parents were away we put on extra clothing and played cowboy shootout up in the garden among the beans and the sweet corn. One rule, don't shoot near the head!!! We each got hit once and didn't really feel it but it was sure a fun time. Stupid but fun!