Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Washington County Poacher

Fluteman, I can't argue that one bit. Sad part is you're so right. When I grew up, the American Sportsman with Kurt Gowdy was the only hunting show and it was only on Sundays for 30 minutes. (Most of you all don't even remember that probably) His shows was more about doing the right thing, and being a true sportsman........not just advertising antlers.

Kurt Gowdy and Gadabout Gaddis were my heros. I remember my brothers and I hunting with our Daisy Red Ryders pretending we were on the American Sportsman. That was nearly 50 years ago and TV influenced us then. But, I can't lie, I never saw a chipmunk that wasn't a 'shooter".

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Kurt Gowdy and Gadabout Gaddis were my heros. I remember my brothers and I hunting with our Daisy Red Ryders pretending we were on the American Sportsman. That was nearly 50 years ago and TV influenced us then. But, I can't lie, I never saw a chipmunk that wasn't a 'shooter".

I thought I was older but I cant remember Kurt Goudy and Gaddis, LOL. The Chipmunk comment was priceless......rotflmao

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio

HT you're my hero! I too ran around with my BB Gun pretending to be on the American Sportsman! What A Hoot! Do you remember any of the Theme Song? Many A Pigeon was Boone and Crocket Grade for us kids in Baltimore! And anything else that moved was scared TOO!

How about this: Come with me to wide open spaces.........
Come with me to valley's and streams...........

Then something about living the American Dream...........

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I can't lie, I never saw a chipmunk that wasn't a 'shooter".

I agree.......classic line HT! My bro and I were hell on the barn sparrows TOO.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
how many guys remember pest hunts from high school.

We had rat killings growing up. Grandpa would. Us hog the side field once or twice a year. When he did we would follow the tractor with sticks. As the mice and rats ran out we would chase them down and try to hit them with a stick. It was actually pretty hard trying to hit a small moving object with a stick.

Talk about classic hunts. We had a guy down the street that raised chickens. Now that I am older I believe they were cocks used for fighting. On the opening day of small game season they were fair game at his farm. These birds flew almost as well as pheasants. I can remember dumping many of them with my single shot Iver Johnson .410 on opening morning. We would take them to him and he would have hot water in big buckets to pluck them in. Funny the things that you remember doing as a kid.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
how many guys remember pest hunts from high school.

I sure remember them Hoot. Especially since we went to the same High School. When I was in Junior High, I made some serious pocket change doing it. If I remember right, the 4 High School Grades were divided into 2 Teams and various points were given for different birds and animals. The Looser Team had to clean up after the Junior ~ Senior Prom. That ended I do believe when one guy blew the points tally over the top and later it was discovered he got all the feet from a fur buyer. Many of them Boone and Crocket Pigeons were sold for that contest @ 5 cents each. Now a days, a kid won't even bend over to pick up a nickel, let lone work for one. But then again, we could get 5 pieces of candy for that nickel TOO!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Kurt Gowdy at 1:15

[video=youtube;etT7pkHfAec]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etT7pkHfAec[/video]

That's sure a Classic Dan........ Now your gonna have me looking for the DVD's only to find out it is not quite exciting as I remember it...LOL...
Brought back memories to see Red Fox on the screen. Had forgot that several of the guests were celebrities TOO.

Didn't notice any Vita-Rack. Tinks 69 or Trophy Rock Commercials either..............

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Love the chipmunk line!:smiley_clap: Brings back some good memories, when I was a teenager not much was safe around the farm when I had my .22.

I was involved in a "bat shoot" once when I was a kid. There is an old order Mennonite church a 1/2 mile down the road. The farm next door had 4 boys around my age and we got together one evening dusk at the church. There are a bunch of maples around the church and we stood between the church and the maples, there was maybe 50' of sky between them. You really couldn't follow a bat cuz I doubt they ever fly 5 feet in a straight line, it was just point and shoot. There must have been at least couple hundred bats flying around, I think we each shot a box of shells and it probably only lasted 10-15 minutes. I'm not sure about then but now bats are protected so sadly my bat hunting days are over.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I'll shoot at a chipmunk almost any chance i get lol. I remember one time diablo and i were fishing on a decent sized pond by my house in a lil john boat. Come dark, there were bats zipping around our heads everywhere, so we decided to have a little fun with it. We took our fishing poles and would swing them in the air at the bats, i bet we killed around 10 bats the night. They would go flying into the water and fly away sideways and what not. That was more fun than the actual fishing. I had a student teacher that said to throw decent sized rocks into the air at night when bats are zipping around, and they'll think the rocks are bugs and go after them, hitting the rock and getting knocked out..i wanna try that one.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
A story kinda similar to Joes rat story. When Ron and I and another friend were out in the hayfield gathering hay bales into to groups of ten or so before being loaded we'd run around stompin' on field mice that would take refuge under them. Most likely every other bale had a small family of the critters and once in a while a sizable blacksnake would be caught and released but doing the"hayfield stomp" was a good time for a couple country boys. Lol

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
A story kinda similar to Joes rat story. When Ron and I and another friend were out in the hayfield gathering hay bales into to groups of ten or so before being loaded we'd run around stompin' on field mice that would take refuge under them. Most likely every other bale had a small family of the critters and once in a while a sizable blacksnake would be caught and released but doing the"hayfield stomp" was a good time for a couple country boys. Lol

It's funny to think back at what we found enjoyment in...... We didn't have Nintendo's, X-box's or Wii's........ I remember searching for enough pop bottles to go and buy another pack of BB's.....LOL......

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Curt Gowdy may have been great, but he hosted the first "hunting show" I ever saw on a preserve. It was "The Bowhunter", filmed at the Sanctuary in MI. Still, it was a good show. It showed the history of hunting with a bow etc. They did kill a big buck or two, but the show wasn't all about killing critters.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We killed mice by the hundreds every other year or so when we would burn off our back field. Dang, that was fun.

Huckleberry Finn

I remember a story an old timer told me years ago, he's probably dead. He grew up in North Dakota and they were paid a bounty on prairie squirrels. He said that they used to catch them and turn the tails in for a penny or a nickle. He quickly learned that they can regenerate their tails and would cut the tails off and let 'em go to grow another tail and earn him a few more cents the next time! Always amazed me....