Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Washington County Poacher

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
i hope you guys get things solved, we can prolly get everyone from here to go lookin one nite and give these guys one hell of a ass whoopin when we catch them.

Seems like the guys that hunt by the book and really care about the wildlife are the minority. Poaching and bending the rules seems to be normal for many. It makes me wonder at times if we are fighting a losing battle. Lets be realistic, one GW per county will never be able to enforce the game laws. We as individuals really have no power to change things either. Even as a large group our hands are tied. Sure, we would all like to catch a poacher and dish out the punishment that is deserved. But, in this day and age, we would be the ones that would then pay the price. I see the outlook for the future as being very bleak at this point. I hope I am wrong, but highly doubt it.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Seems like the guys that hunt by the book and really care about the wildlife are the minority. Poaching and bending the rules seems to be normal for many. It makes me wonder at times if we are fighting a losing battle.

I think one of the biggest problems with hunting these days is the big buck craze and trying to make a name for yourself. There are TOO many people involved in deer hunting for the wrong reasons. People aren't hunting to feed their family anymore. Social media has changed everything. The internet is available to everyone these days, and makes it possible for Joe Blow to show just how great a big buck hunter he is, despite the fact that he shoots them at night with a rifle on someone else's property. I just don't think there is a respect for wildlife now like there use to be back in the day. It's frustrating, to say the least.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think one of the biggest problems with hunting these days is the big buck craze and trying to make a name for yourself. There are TOO many people involved in deer hunting for the wrong reasons. People aren't hunting to feed their family anymore. Social media has changed everything. The internet is available to everyone these days, and makes it possible for Joe Blow to show just how great a big buck hunter he is, despite the fact that he shoots them at night with a rifle on someone else's property. I just don't think there is a respect for wildlife now like there use to be back in the day. It's frustrating, to say the least.

Well said, Greg... I completely agree man. Hunting is not the same as it once was.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Absolutely right Greg. All they want to do is pose with a Great Buck....No Story, No Graditude and Totally No True Satisfaction!.... Just A False "Look At Me"

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm in agreement with the last 3 posts. Ethics,morals and pride have gone down the shitter for many hunters these days. :smiley_depressive:

lung buster

hocking county
I totally agree. I was just telling a buddy the other day that I bet our grandpas would roll over in their graves if they could see what hunting has become!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I don't know about that lungbuster. My Grandfather is 96. When I was a kid, his farm, and the surrounding area turned into a zoo during gun season. There was more traffic on those roads in 6 days than there was the remaining 359. It was nuts. Not to mention that poaching was rampant. We found deer scattered across his clover fields regularly. These days, you can hardly tell when shotgun season is in around that area - people can hunt close to home vs. driving all the way to the hills. Grandpa was not much of a deer hunter, but he could shoot squirrels with the best of 'em. He never understood why people went nuts over deer.

lung buster

hocking county
I get what your saying Brock. I should of been more specific about what I was referring to, as in: The BIG buck craze, the "high tech" equipment (bows, inline muzzleloaders, rifled slug barrels, sabot slugs, range finders, bdc scopes, trail cameras, etc.), feeders and food plots, the use of atv's and this thing called the internet where hunters share stories, pics etc. I sometimes wonder what some of the old timers that hunted to eat would think if they were around today!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That is kinda what I am thinking Hoot. I didn't have near as much competition around me this year. I don't know where they went, but they must have gotten tired of staring at leaves.

lungbuster, I see your point. But, throughout history, hunters have always used the best equipment they had available. So, in essence, using the most high-tech thing you can find is truly traditional. :) Using old school gear is a relatively new concept, and proves that people no longer hunt just for food...If I were hunting for food, I'd be using a light and a flat-shooting rifle. Having said that, I don't get the antler craze crap. I don't understand new hunters describing deer as "shooters or mature". Maybe I'm different, but I would think a new hunter being lucky enough to kill ANY buck would be excited...and I suppose they would be if they weren't learning to hunt from the Outdoor Channel.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
That is kinda what I am thinking Hoot. I didn't have near as much competition around me this year. I don't know where they went, but they must have gotten tired of staring at leaves.

lungbuster, I see your point. But, throughout history, hunters have always used the best equipment they had available. So, in essence, using the most high-tech thing you can find is truly traditional. :) Using old school gear is a relatively new concept, and proves that people no longer hunt just for food...If I were hunting for food, I'd be using a light and a flat-shooting rifle. Having said that, I don't get the antler craze crap. I don't understand new hunters describing deer as "shooters or mature". Maybe I'm different, but I would think a new hunter being lucky enough to kill ANY buck would be excited...and I suppose they would be if they weren't learning to hunt from the Outdoor Channel.

The problem is people with deep pockets and not enough sense to take a big deer on their own. They see Lee and Tiffany or Michael Waddel going to XXX Outfitters seeing 100's of deer and a dozen different shooters and think, "Hey, I've got the money, I can do that." They go out, spend a couple grand on a camera, and haul their best friend around paying to hunt and kill big deer, and making a name for themselves, and really, they don't know squat about hunting. Then you get some kid that grows up hunting PA or WV that just doesn't see the big deer, and he wants to be like the guys on TV, only he can't. So to make up for that, he grabs dad's atv and spotlight, and his .22 rifle, and heads out down the road on a mission.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Fluteman, I can't argue that one bit. Sad part is you're so right. When I grew up, the American Sportsman with Kurt Gowdy was the only hunting show and it was only on Sundays for 30 minutes. (Most of you all don't even remember that probably) His shows was more about doing the right thing, and being a true sportsman........not just advertising antlers.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I remember the Curt Gowdy show Rick. The intro to the show with breakfast on the skillet and hunters rolling out of the sack in the pre-dawn darkness in that compfy looking hunting cabin and that wholesome voice narrating......made you wish you were there! Lol

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
To reiterate what Greg is saying, some guys can't hunt or don't know how to hunt because theyre lazy,unskilled or impatient so the cheat or poach. Their goal is to kill a big buck so's they can brag about it but take the easy and illegal way out! Slobs!

:smiley_clap:

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I remember the Curt Gowdy show Rick. The intro to the show with breakfast on the skillet and hunters rolling out of the sack in the pre-dawn darkness in that compfy looking hunting cabin and that wholesome voice narrating......made you wish you were there! Lol

"I'm Your Host Kurt Gowdy and this is the American Sportsman" Bad part is I still remember parts of the theme song...... I had it bad at 10 years old TOO!