Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer Vision Question

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
indians never used anything we wear now and they killed all kinds of deer.

They also didnt have hunting regs, could hunt after dark, and hunted all day every day, they had to, it was the difference between eating or starving.

saddlepants

central Ohio
No but according to some studying Ive done they did use cover scents and camo of the natural type. They would sometimes refrain from eating red meat for a period of time before a hunt. They would drape themselves with hides of animals in order to sneak closer and use feces and urine to help cover their scent. There clothing was often made of natural hides and colors, fur and feathers that were only washed in water if at all. They didnt eat Junk food (you are what you eat) and DID smoke. Often many of these clothes spent time in the lodge with the smoke of the fire inside. I have also heard from a native american friend they wouldnt hesitate to cut the tarsals out to use and have been known to make "decoys".

bowieoutdoors

*Supporting member*
I had a pic of myself on one of my cams this year tracking a deer after dark in ir and my fleece jacket and pants were glowing while the cotton shirt I had on under my jacket was not and you could clearly see the camo pattern. All my clothes are washed together in the same detergent so my guess is, at least in ir mode, is that it has more to do with the material than the detergent. Don't know what that means to a deer but I've had multiple deer look right at me at close range and go right back to what they were doing. I've also had deer spook from seeing me so who knows. I do know this. I have never had a buck, that I could see, spook from either seeing or smelling me. Every time I've ever had deer spook from either, as long as I wasn't moving, it was a doe. I had a stand a couple years ago that was less hidden than I would have liked but it was my only option. I had 5 bucks around me at one time and was honestly moving quite a bit and not one of them ever spotted me. The first doe that showed up spotted me within seconds even though I wasn't moving and spooked out. The bucks never moved and just watched her run off. I really have no idea what the heck is going on with deer most of the time but I just try to camo up as good as I can and try to stay as scent free as I can and hope for the best. As has been mentioned before, I try to keep my movements slow and minimal.