Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer Vision Question

jeremy44230

Medina County
I searched around the site to see if this had been discussed before, but could not find anything...

Please let me know what your thoughts are regarding the vision of deer. I went to a seminar last year put on by Wade Nolan and he spoke about deer vision. He said that deer see in ultraviolet and basically the clothing that we all wear has UV brighteners in them and the deer see this very well. We basically glow to them at low light hours of the day. He was marketing products made by ATSKO, specifically UV-Killer. I bought this product a couple of weeks ago and plan on trying it.

They have been several times while bow hunting that I have been downwind of deer, stayed perfectly still and they sometimes just look at me. I know that it may be due to the silhouette of me against a background, but I think it may be due to their vision...

Just wanted to hear what you all think.

saddlepants

central Ohio
Ive hear that but then again it still doesnt seem to matter, and many guys on here will reiterate on that. Doesnt matter what your wearing as long as you dont move. They will look at any "shape" that is new to the environment and dont think they dont know you werent there yesterday. But if you dont smell scary and you dont move then they go about there business even if your wearing a Hawaiian shirt and chinos! Good hunting clothes have no uv brighteners but in reality they wash away with time. Deer see in shades of black and white , grey and some blue and yellow similar to horses, depending on the shade of a color ex, red and green look same so a red ball in the grass would only be a new "shape" to study. Now I did see a show yesterday on Electromagnetic fields and deer and they guy was trying to sell me a special suit for that...I laughed my ass off and turned the channel. They may be able to but Ive had enough success and many times with just my Carharts and cheap orange on that Im not gonna waste my time. Ive had deer so friggin close in camo with scent control I could smell their breath. YOu could be cinderella in her pumpkin coach as long as you dont smell like a predator your welcome to the party.

saddlepants

central Ohio
And Im gonna add here. Its HOW you move that is part of the problem as well. HUmans are predators with both eyes in front and our natural body movement will always be that of a predator to a prey animal, like a deer, who eyes set on the sides. NOw sit your ass on a horse and walk through the woods and deer will watch you walk by and even continue browsing while you watch as long as you let your horse browse. As for color and UV bright I wouldnt worry to much unless you are Bird hunting. BIrds are the ones who have spectacular vision including UV. This is how they communicate with each other and if you could see the birds the way other birds see each other you would see beauty beyond belief with the UV colors hidden in the feathers. Save your UV clothes for turkey and duck hunts!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Now sit your ass on a horse and walk through the woods and deer will watch you walk by and even continue browsing while you watch as long as you let your horse browse.

So true. I know of a couple good bucks that were killed off horseback...

I do not fret over the whole UV thing. I try to focus on moving slow and methodical while on stand, while being as concealed as I can via camo and hanging in trees with good back cover. I rarely hang in a tree that does not have multiple trunks and/or lots of limbs in the 15-30 foot mark. IMO, beating their noses is more important than worrying about UV issues and beating their eyes via concealment and controlled movements is far more important than the whole UV thing...

saddlepants

central Ohio
I use the horses to walk back to the stand early season. the pasture goes most of the way so I go out and take one by the halter and position myself between them and just walk, the other comes along and they conceal me well until Im ready to go through the fence another thirty feet to my stand.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Like Jesse, I don't worry about UV and my clothing. I don't know whether we hunters "glow" or not while up in a tree... However, it only makes sense that a guy who markets UV-killing products will get on stage and preach about how important it is. Take it with a grain of salt, IMO.

mrex

*Supporting member*
I got this trail cam photo of a friend walking to a stand I had hung in early September but never had the chance to hunt.

I asked him what was different about his outer garments and he said all his camo was the same pattern and bought new before the season, although the top and bottom were different manufacturers.

UV brighteners? Can't say for sure but the camera definitely sees something different. I'm convinced the turkeys see something we can't. Unlike turkeys, deer usually need to put 2 of their 3 primary defenses, (sight, smell or hearing), together before bolting. If a mature deer sees you, it will often circle downwind to catch your scent before bolting. If it smells something it doesn't like, it will usually freeze and scan the horizon trying to pinpoint the danger before getting out of Dodge. It's hard for us to imagine how acute their senses are.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I got this trail cam photo of a friend walking to a stand I had hung in early September but never had the chance to hunt.

I asked him what was different about his outer garments and he said all his camo was the same pattern and bought new before the season, although the top and bottom were different manufacturers.

UV brighteners? Can't say for sure but the camera definitely sees something different. I'm convinced the turkeys see something we can't. Unlike turkeys, deer usually need to put 2 of their 3 primary defenses, (sight, smell or hearing), together before bolting. If a mature deer sees you, it will often circle downwind to catch your scent before bolting. If it smells something it doesn't like, it will usually freeze and scan the horizon trying to pinpoint the danger before getting out of Dodge. It's hard for us to imagine how acute their senses are.

I've noticed with my cameras the same type of thing Mike. What I have found is any cotton or fleece items tend to show the camo patter well in IR, while items with goretex and rubber boots tend to have a washed out, almost white appearance to them in IR. Clothes that have been washed in regular detergent don't give off a glow in IR, or at least from what I've seen.

I really wish for one day I could see through a deer's eyes to see just how things really look to them.

I dont see how minimizing or trying to eliminate UV could hurt anything..But these guy would know more about in the field stuff then I do..I know the last outer layer camo I bought is made UV free an like Jesse it just so happens the detergent I use does contain UV brighteners.But thats isnt why I use it.Thats about all I can say..

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I think its a waste of money, indians never used anything we wear now and they killed all kinds of deer. All the old timers would wear their everyday clothes out and kill all kinds of deer.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I've noticed with my cameras the same type of thing Mike. What I have found is any cotton or fleece items tend to show the camo patter well in IR, while items with goretex and rubber boots tend to have a washed out, almost white appearance to them in IR. Clothes that have been washed in regular detergent don't give off a glow in IR, or at least from what I've seen.

I really wish for one day I could see through a deer's eyes to see just how things really look to them.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro

Good picture and post