Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Muzzle loader problems...

hunna771

today i wanted to shoot my muzzleloader and make sure it was sighted in. I loaded it and put a primer in, sat down, and when i went to pull the hammer back it wouldn't click and stay at the pulled back positition. but when i opened the gun up, it would stay back. Neither my dad or i can figure out what the deal is:smiley_confused_vra:smiley_chinrub:. Anyone have a clue? Thanks

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Some possible solutions I googled:
slam the barrel closed, and push forward on the break action lever and that should fix the problem
I took a pipe cleaner and cleaned all down around it then oiled good! Stays back now!

camofry

*Supporting Member*
If you have taken the trigger gaurd off to clean it , make sure you dident put the longer screw in the back when you put it all back together. (long screw goes in the front, if the long one is in the back it keeps a the trigger spring from coming forword)

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Good advise so far. What brand of muzzy is this? First time shooting it after cleaning it? It would help to hear more history and info with this rifle. Goodluck

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Well if oil solved the problem(for now) I would say you really need to completely strip it down to clean all the parts in the trigger group. If you don't know how check Youtube to see if someone has posted a video on disassembling your gun.

When you reassemble it go easy on oiling the parts inside.