Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Did the DOW publish the wrong dates for ML season?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
There is no way for them to do anything about it. Lets say I go out both dates....whats to stop me? I could show them the rule book on the first date. Or I could show them the OAC for the second date.

Everything has already been published. Even if they announce it how can they enforce it.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Here is my inquiry:
When is the Ohio Muzzle-loading season. See below:

From 1501:31-15-11 Deer regulations.
http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/1501:31-15-11
(e) Statewide muzzleloading deer season is open from the second Saturday
after New Years Day through the following Tuesday.

The published regulations show January 7th through the 10th. Which is
it!!??
Thanks,
Mike Andruch

Here is Rochelle response:

Hello Mike! It is Jan 7-10, 2011, as is states in the regulations.
Rochelle

There you have it boyz.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Here is my inquiry:

Here is Rochelle response:

There you have it boyz.

OAC trumps DNR regulation Pamphlet.... Every time IMO.. Ask to speak to one of their legal people see what they say.

Last edited:

loose_is_fast

McClure
talked to the G.W. today he said they are well aware of the situation and its is prob going to be both due to the cost of getting the news and news papers and all the different sources to make it known.This is not the first time they have screwed up i forget what year it was but they had the limit of walleye wrong and they had to make signs and do alot of stuff and it was not cost affective.So let it be known we will have two muzzy seasons which adds up to eight more days of firearms season.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Talked to our local Wildlife Officer tonight. He explained it to me that the 7-10th was not "law". In order to make it "legal" to hunt the 7-10th they would have to pass some emergency law enabling us to hunt the 7-10th. Reg book doesn't constitute which dates were passed as the legal dates to hunt muzzle loader. Does this make sense?

He also told me he has not heard an official position from the ODNR as of around dinner time when I talked to him (roughly 530pm). He told me to watch and listen as they would HAVE to make some sort of announcement soon. They are aware of it, but need to do something about it. If not, he told me there would be no real way to enforce tickets if they stopped someone for hunting muzzle loader hunting on the "wrong" date. All they can do is soft enforce it. Basically, "Yes, we know these are the wrong dates. We cannot give you a ticket, but you are now aware you are hunting on the wrong dates. If we catch you with a muzzle loader or tagging in a deer taken with a muzzle loader for the rest of days xyz, then you will receive a ticket."

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
A buddy of mine told me he talked to his game warden and he said he don't know what they're gonna do about it. He'll let the higher ups worry about it, he's going huntin...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Talked to our local Wildlife Officer tonight. He explained it to me that the 7-10th was not "law". In order to make it "legal" to hunt the 7-10th they would have to pass some emergency law enabling us to hunt the 7-10th. Reg book doesn't constitute which dates were passed as the legal dates to hunt muzzle loader. Does this make sense?

He also told me he has not heard an official position from the ODNR as of around dinner time when I talked to him (roughly 530pm). He told me to watch and listen as they would HAVE to make some sort of announcement soon. They are aware of it, but need to do something about it. If not, he told me there would be no real way to enforce tickets if they stopped someone for hunting muzzle loader hunting on the "wrong" date. All they can do is soft enforce it. Basically, "Yes, we know these are the wrong dates. We cannot give you a ticket, but you are now aware you are hunting on the wrong dates. If we catch you with a muzzle loader or tagging in a deer taken with a muzzle loader for the rest of days xyz, then you will receive a ticket."

We cannot give you a ticket but if you continue too hunt the XYZ dates although they are the true dates for the season we will give you a ticket..... WTH.... They're wrong and not a leg too stand on too ticket you.... They would be ticketing you for either following their rules or the ORC which is the law of the land..... Friggin state employees..... Bunch of idiots..... And I thought the Feds were effed up.....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
They would be ticketing you for either following their rules or the ORC which is the law of the land..... Friggin state employees..... Bunch of idiots..... And I thought the Feds were effed up.....

Maybe I didn't make it clear or typed it up wrong J. Maybe I understood what he told me wrong. There are dates they decide upon, and enact into law as the official legal dates to harvest deer as official muzzle loader "season". The dates enacted as the legal days for muzzle loader season are not the days they posted in the reg books. While these are the reg books they pass out, the dates are not the lawful season dates. Make sense?

He told me they did this with frog (or was it turtle) season too. They couldn't ticket if they caught you trapping on the wrong dates. They could only tell you, "Pull those traps. Put them back out next week (or whatever the correct dates were). Dates xyz are the official dates. No ticket today, but don't let us catch your traps back out until legal harvest dates because YOU are now informed." They could only go about this on a person to person basis if someone was caught out of the official legal season dates. This is what he referred to as "soft enforcement".