Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Southwest Ohio Hunting

jtenhundfeld

Ok. So I struck out at West Branch and I have to try to fill my tag in SW Ohio. I only know of Caesars Creek and East Fork that are close to Cincinnati. Does anyone know any info on these two Parks for hunting land or of any other hunting land available to the public? Thank you and good luck in the late season.

matt hougan

Dayton area
I know guys that drag studs out of Ceasars ever year. There are some bow only areas that get very little pressure. Once the gun hunters are gone you may not see another sole save for the truley dedicated. Print the map available at wildohio.com its pretty accurate. You should also get a map of the Spring Valley wild life area. There are some great spots along the little Miami river.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've hunted caesars creek, hueston woods, paintcreek and spot off rt. 50 outside Fayetteville(Indian creek I think). Had some encounters but always got messed up by other hunters. I tried getting deeper but you can't. Your just closer to another hunter excess on the otherside.lol There's definitely some monsters in all the places though. Familarize yourself with these places for future hunts and just try setting up close to the no hunting areas and catch something coming out near dark. All the ag fields are on private property surrounding these parks so maybe slip in near some transition routes from these fields and bedding areas on the huntable land in the park. Goodluck!

Last edited:

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
If I had to resort to hunting CC for anything whether it be deer, ducks, etc I would sell all my gear. You couldn't pay me to hunt that place. Too much pressure.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Paint Creek was a good area in the mid 90's. I haven't hunted any of the other areas mentioned. I quit hunting Paint Creek by the late 90's. Its just too heavily hunted. I would suspect its the same with other areas as well.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I live within a couple of miles of PC. I drive around down there during season just to see how many folks are still hunting it. The last 5 years or so have been insane with out of state hunters. I hunt out of state too, and on public (BLM) land. It isn't like I have anything against doing it. But, I can't imagine driving clear up here from SC, NC, MI, GA, FL, TN (the list goes on) to hunt that crap. I'm telling you, the parking areas will have half a dozen vehicles in each one during the rut - almost all having traveled a great distance. It's nuts.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I hear you Brock. I've noticed this trend getting worse as each year goes by. These guys who are leasing a couple props next to ours in the SE part of our state are paying 23/acre and driving 10.5 hours one way to come hunt it from the far side of PA. They make a half a dozen trips or more a year. More power to them I guess but they're unloading a bundle of cash to do so. We've met them and they're good guys that are pursuing their dream buck like we are. They said the NR tags are a good low price and are taking advantage of it. I would TOO....but not pay 23/acre though! Yikes!