Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

A crappy season?

Diablo54

Outside
After Getting skunked tonight I thought to myself man this has been a Horrible season. All of this time in the tree with nothing to show. I thought back on a few things that have happened this season and quickly realized why I was so wrong. No I havent killed anything other than a doe but It has probably been one of the best deer seasons I have had in my lifetime.

It started with the filming of Chief. It was awesome Just knowing a buck like that was in the area and to have that much footage of him was another great thing. Even If He did dissapear as soon as his vevlet was off. Trail cam pictures in other hunting spots quickly proved that I have alot more shooter bucks to look forward to then just chief.

Through october hunting was fairly slow. I had a chance at a doe at 10 yards on the ground. I hit the bottom limb of my recurve on the ground and the arrow smacked the dirt a few feet below her.

November rolled around and the deer sightings for me went way up. I had small bucks chasing does all around me and ended up shooting a doe that was all by herself. A few days before that I was in the area and I had a stud come over the hill towards me. He stopped at 40 yards. I could see the boxy frame and the split G3's and knew who it was Chief. He never came any closer than that and ended up strolling through at 40 yards to never be seen again.

A few weeks later I found myself in the same spot. A Buck grunting at first light got my attention. Things cooled down and I saw a 120inch 8 cruising. He did a whole circle around me and ended up with a doe that already had a bigger buck with it. They put on quite a show on the shelf below me at 50 yards. They snortwheezed at each other and even postured up ready to fight for their new woman.:pickle: The 8pt ended up realizing that a lil love wasnt worth getting his butt whooped so he got up and moved on to find a new woman. The big boy and the doe both bedded down below me. They were there for 10 minutes when I heard something coming. It was a coyote that slipped right by them as they were bedded down. After the yote moved through they ended up slipping down the hill. A while later I saw another big buck chasing a doe a good 200 yards away.

The next week I was sitting in one of my uncles favorite rut spots. I had been sitting there for quite ahwile but remained patient knowing that the deer take awhile getting up the hill to this spot in the mornings. I saw rack. He was working a scrape and ended up coming in to 8 yards. I pulled back and shot and hit him high, It must have been no mans land because we found no blood and no deer.

I didn't figure I would get another chance but somehow I did. I hunted behind the house a few days later and sat seeing nothing until right before dark when I heard chasing right above me. The does came right down the hill past me at 15 yards. Here came the buck. 135 plus. I tried to stop him at 15 yards with the typical baaah as he was trotting after the does. He didn't hear me or he didn't care becasuse he kept on going, I let him take a few more steps into what looked like another "opening". I yelled hey! He stopped and I pulled back hit my anchor and released. The arrow looked true.........Until It hit a limb and flew straight into the air over him.:smiley_clap: I was down. Couldn't believe my luck. How many chances can you get?

For the next few hunts I was still seeing shooter bucks but they were never close enough for a shot. I hunted with Moundhill one morning and we had two shooters fighting at 60 yards. Now that was an experience.

Gun season came and I ended up taking my little brother. We had 2 does at 100 yards. I told him which one I would shoot and told him to watch. I fired the muzzeloader. I couldn't tell whether or not I hit her. I went to reload my gun and was fumbling around for a patch when I had my brother hold my reload. As I handed it to him I noticed he was shaking uncontrollably. I asked him why are you shaking?? His response "Well..That was a little bit exciting!" It was nice to see some emotion from him. I couldn't find a patch to swab the gun with. My dad had told me earlier that no matter what you swab the gun two times before you reload. So I left the gun unloaded as we walked up the hill to where the doe was standing when I shot. We got there to and I noticed a 130's 8 or 10 at 75 yards staring at us in the wide open. The things I would have done to have a patchlmao. My brother looked at me and said "Do you want these bullets?" I looked at him and smiled while shaking my head.

The next morning My dad went with me and my brother to see If I had killed the doe. We got to the top of the hill and Dad noticed there was a buck in the foodplot. He asked me if I wanted to shoot It. I Told him to go for it. He stalked 20 yards and just as the buck was about to bolt Dad shot. We found him later on. We never found any sign of me hitting the doe.

The next night I was with moundhill hunting the same area. we were watching 2 does at 200 yards when I got the idea that I should be able to walk down the trail and get a shot at 100 yards. We were Just getting inside of range when MH said there was a deer right infront of us. I pulled up the binocs and could tell it was a buck. He was onto us and it was getting dark fast. All I could see was his head and I had no shot. But it's nice to know he is out there.

I have alot to look back on and be thankfull for from this season and this isnt even half of what I got to experience. So has it been a bad season? No not at all. It's been one of my most memorable seasons and the best part is it's not over yet:smiley_bril:

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
You've had an eventful season, that's for sure. For a young man you inmpress me. Heck, you impress me for any age. You handle yourself very well and you are an accomplished hunter. You have alot to be proud of.

One thing that sure makes your hunting fun is you see deer. You must be doing something right! There's still alot of time left to fill that buck tag. Good luck to you.

Huckleberry Finn

Although the negative conversations that we're having on this site are necessary, it was certainly refreshing to read something as positive as that. This is all with your stick bow, right? That just makes it even more impressive. That was a great read, thanks for sharing and keep it up! There's some season left, that's for sure!

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
You've definitly had an eventful season, with alot of action. More than alot of people can say. Way to look on the bright side of things..by now i'd be saying screw this i'm duck hunting haha. I was blessed enough to get mine opening day, but that meant hardly no time in the woods following, plus now with bball started my time is very limited. Just be blessed to be out there and keep a positive note. BTW, shoulda shot that last buck in the noggin lol. Also, there's alot of time left to fill some tags, so keep at it man.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Sounds like a good time to me.
(and taking your little brother and seeing his reaction would be priceless!!)

Keep at it !

And next time you need a patch, cut your brothers t-shirt man!

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great mid season recap and a great read! Very proud of you Taylor! Great attitude to boot! Goodluck and I hope you get another chance!

You had a GREAT season, compared to many others out there. In the end, IMHO your a seasoned hunter for someone your age, and that goes with moundhill TOO!

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great outlook Taylor! I feel much the same. Watched my buddy tag a dandy over one of the food plots we worked hard to put in. Killed a coyote last week. Have had 3 different shooters within 50-60yds during the season. Two of them within 30yds but no shot offered. My point here is this: Sometimes filling out your tag is perceived as "a good season". To me it is the whole package. It is all how you look at it. You are wise beyond your years bud! Keep after them! Good luck!

Diablo54

Outside
I guess I couldve aimed for the head MH. Then I couldve got a camo european mount with a bullet hole in it from xbowguylmao

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Although the negative conversations that we're having on this site are necessary, it was certainly refreshing to read something as positive as that. This is all with your stick bow, right? That just makes it even more impressive. That was a great read, thanks for sharing and keep it up! There's some season left, that's for sure!

Yes, what he said ^^^

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
You've had an eventful season, that's for sure. For a young man you inmpress me. Heck, you impress me for any age. You handle yourself very well and you are an accomplished hunter. You have alot to be proud of.

One thing that sure makes your hunting fun is you see deer. You must be doing something right! There's still alot of time left to fill that buck tag. Good luck to you.

Pretty much my thoughts as well. Great work dude. It is a pleasure to have you two homos around as it leaves me with some faith that the next generations isn't completely fucked. There is at least a few of you guys out there to carry on the tradition...

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Pretty much my thoughts as well. Great work dude. It is a pleasure to have you two homos around as it leaves me with some faith that the next generations isn't completely fucked. There is at least a few of you guys out there to carry on the tradition...

Looks like i'm gonna have to pull the weight though lmao
JK Diablo