Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Down

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I can't imagine any other way of letting the deer recouperate besides cutting tags out in that zone all together?

The quickest way would be to look at each county and redo the zone map.. Eliminate the antlerless tags and go back to a 1, 2, or 3 either sex tag bag limit. Basically expand the old Zone A and allow 1 tag for a year or two.. Few counties a zone B with a 2 deer limit and counties like Guernsey, Harrison and Coshocton could be zone C with 3 tags. In a couple years evaluate the population and harvest and make adjustments.

Schu72

Streetsboro
The quickest way would be to look at each county and redo the zone map.. Eliminate the antlerless tags and go back to a 1, 2, or 3 either sex tag bag limit. Basically expand the old Zone A and allow 1 tag for a year or two.. Few counties a zone B with a 2 deer limit and counties like Guernsey, Harrison and Coshocton could be zone C with 3 tags. In a couple years evaluate the population and harvest and make adjustments.

The hardest hit areas should be buck only if you want a quick rebound.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I don't think they want a rebound. Heck, they already admit they don't have a clue how many deer are around. The fact that the kill has declined a bit with so many "gun days" has them just now saying "Yay, we might be reaching our goal, even though we have no way of measuring what our goal is aside from how many we want to be killed"

It's funny, I recall saying three years ago that managing the "dead" was not the way to do it. I was told there was much more to it than that. Funny, there really isn't. Tonk also told me about the formula they use involving buck harvest. Seems that formula would change if you can kill 6 does and only 1 buck. What do I know...

As Joe said, I'd just like to see deer without having to drive to Athens to hunt with Coon.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I haven't been on any Iowa forums to see that, gonna have to check that out. There are areas in Iowa with far more deer than people, at least there were.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
I've been a member on a iowa deer forum far longer than any ohio forums... Same as here, some people see them, some don't...

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
I'm glad he mentioned vinton county in his december 19 press release. It's like night and day when you think back to how many deer you saw in the mid to late 90's VS now. The same could be said about turkeys as well.....

I would like to see zone c, specifically vinton county, be moved down to at least a 3 deer county, if not 2 deer for a couple years. There is plenty of open land to hunt in vinton county and I believe the deer pop has taken a huge hit, even in private areas.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've been a member on a iowa deer forum far longer than any ohio forums... Same as here, some people see them, some don't...

I didn't know that. What got you on Iowas hunting forum before you joined any Ohio forum? My bro and I have purchased PP's the last two years thinking maybe we might go out and bowhunt out there in the future. Don't know if it will ever happen but at least we'll have our PP's paid for.

Sorry for getting off subject........carry on guys.