Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Late Season Strategy

saddlepants

central Ohio
I disagree epe - If its a good alfafa field it will be alfalfa no matter what. The first cut of any type of hay has more weeds usually and by the time they get to a third cut there is less weeds ie: more alfalfa = higher cost. It also depends on when its cut. Cut before the flower open its more nutritious. Alfalfa is a legume. Like a bean and full of protein if cut at the right time, early. NOW, I dont feed it to my horses because they dont work much and dont need that with the grain I feed. I feed grass and timothy hay which deers might not touch. Heres another point. Deer have multiple stomachs like sheep and can eat more things that horses cannot. Also like cattle. You will see often "wrapped" round bales of rich alfalfa in plastic. This is so it "ferments" and is more easily digestible for cattle or sheep. This type of hay will KILL horses. Since deer have the similar system to cattle and sheep They may be more attracted to good wrapped alfalfa bales that have started the fermenting process. This only comes in 800+ lb round bales though. I wonder if I could experiment with good alfalfa small square bales wrapped and stored at home??

Kaiser878

ohio
I disagree epe - If its a good alfafa field it will be alfalfa no matter what. The first cut of any type of hay has more weeds usually and by the time they get to a third cut there is less weeds ie: more alfalfa = higher cost. It also depends on when its cut. Cut before the flower open its more nutritious. Alfalfa is a legume. Like a bean and full of protein if cut at the right time, early. NOW, I dont feed it to my horses because they dont work much and dont need that with the grain I feed. I feed grass and timothy hay which deers might not touch. Heres another point. Deer have multiple stomachs like sheep and can eat more things that horses cannot. Also like cattle. You will see often "wrapped" round bales of rich alfalfa in plastic. This is so it "ferments" and is more easily digestible for cattle or sheep. This type of hay will KILL horses. Since deer have the similar system to cattle and sheep They may be more attracted to good wrapped alfalfa bales that have started the fermenting process. This only comes in 800+ lb round bales though. I wonder if I could experiment with good alfalfa small square bales wrapped and stored at home??

A deer technically only has one stomach. THe stomach is seperated into 4 compartments.

Last edited:

epe

Lancaster

Glad to know I am on your mind, but I didn't bring up anything about hay. ;)

Milo

Tatonka guide.

thats what i said...