Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Would you intentionally use a slug gun for coyotes?

FredT said:
Really? That kind of distance? I would like to see that.
FredT,
After some conversations with Scott Carlson (Carlson choke tube owner) and his son, Shane, which does most of the patterning, I found a good choke tube.

I had originally purchased the Dead Coyote choke but and a box of the Dead Coyote shotshells. The best pattern I could get/trust was out to 30 yards and that was only a 50% density. I told the Carlsons my results, the shotgun brand (Mossberg 500), its' barrel length (20"), gauge (12) and that I was wanting dense patterns out to 50 yards for coyote hunting. Shane had me mail him the Dead Coyote choke tube (a .660" restriction) and he paid for the return shipping and exchanged it for a .680" restriction...no charge. :smiley_bril:

I used Dead Coyote ammo and Remington HD in BBs and get killer patterns for coyote hunting. I have not patterned it past 50 yards, as this is my front weapon, when calling coyotes and my .25-06 is sitting on a bi-pod...in case something thinks it's out of range.
...by the way, DC ammo is T shot size, therefore making it difficult to get good patterns. I switched to BBBs for geese, due to having problems getting good patterns with Ts. However, the shotgun that I use for geese has a 3 1/2" chamber. The Mossberg 500 is a 3" chamber.

Jackalope is dead on, with his information on slug ballistics. A buddy of mine shot a groundhog that he was watching through the cracks in the barn siding, as it was standing up 5' around the corner of the barn. He shot it with a BP cartridge 45-70 and a 300 gr. bullet. He said that he got the g-hog, but the interesting thing was that there was a slightly eliptical hole on this side of the barn siding and the piece of siding on the other corner had lines in it where the grease groove of the bullet were visible. The grease grooves indicated that the bullet went through the second piece of barn siding, sideways. The "sideways" traveling 300 gr. bullet nearly sliced the g-hog in half. Thing is...it did all that, skidded in the ground for another 6'. The shot was 60 yards, from the shooter to the g-hog.
There's a lot of K.E. with bigger bullets.

Bowhunter57

Last edited:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
we used to stack 9 32 caliber muzzeloader balls in a 3 inch high brass remington hull. they sat in a triangular pattern inside the hull. using blue dot for an charge it would easily pepper yotes at 75 out of a full choke mossberg...

badger

*Supporting Member*
Does this answer your question? If nothing else, it verifies I wasn't BS'ing you.rotflmao

Remington 870 with Hornady SST. Approximately 40yds. Slightly quartering to me. Entry on left side mid ribcage. Exit through the guts as I was shooting down at her and she was also in a low spot. Not bad for a female. Estimated weight 35-40lbs.

Well done brother!

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
I read the same article Jack. My. 243 has poly tips so like u said it fragments into small pieces. If I use a shotgun I use buckshot, and guarantee all shots with in 30 yards, right Gern? !

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I read the same article Jack. My. 243 has poly tips so like u said it fragments into small pieces. If I use a shotgun I use buckshot, and guarantee all shots with in 30 yards, right Gern? !

30 yards.....phhhhtttttt!!!!!!!!!!! Using 3" #4 Buck will knock them down at 75 yards...

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Here is on from the Saturday of 2nd gun last yr. I shot one out of the same stand during 1st gun too!